Continental Town and Country Tire

4.03/5 (94 Reviews)

ContinentalTown and Country.The mainstay of all-around recreationalTires with an invertedTread pattern. about 650 grams Takes upTo 70 PSI for smooth rolling

Submitted by Brendan

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2013

Strengths:    Good traction, looks good, low rolling resistance, good balance of speed to cushion, good price

Weaknesses:    Quality used to be good, seems to be going down or I'm really abusing these things, sidewall shreds kinda easy

Bottom Line:
I used to swear by these things. Friends wanted a winter commuter, city commuter, or a good way to energize an old mountain bike, I'd point them to these. Built up a really nice single speed city commuter on a mountain bike frame with these tires that screamed. I commuted through grad school on them. Commuted to work through the winter of 2011/12 on them. Then the rear one blew. I thought, no problem, I'll just get another one. They've lasted me 6 years; a new one should last another 6. Well, I put the new one on May 2012, road it 10 months, took it off for the summer, slapped it back on last week and the sidewall is shredded. 2000 miles on the tire and it's dead. That might seem like a lot, but I'll tell ya, the old one, the one I didn't have to replace last year, it's still on the bike and working fine. Maybe I'm a fat b@st@rd (215 lbs) that bears too hard on his rear wheels, but I wasn't riding these things hard. I wasn't accelerating them hard. Just a shame. I'm going back to a pair of Schwalbe Big Apples. If they fail me too I'm gonna have to spring for the Armadillos.

Submitted by Brian McGloin

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, grip and practicality over different terrain and different uses.

Weaknesses:    No reflective sidewall or fatter sizes like 2.7 or 3.

Bottom Line:
I bought one of these as a rear tire about two months ago from a local REI when I started using my bike for a bike taxi (pedicab) in Austin.

I haven't had a flat yet and the tire shows almost no sign of wear and I ride a lot. The bike taxi trailer weighs 80 lbs (roughly) and can hold three adults. The trailer has no brakes so I rely on the bike's discs to stop, which is sometimes a problem since Austin is very hilly. Many of the streets are poorly maintained, cracked and filled with pointy debris. In addition, the ground in many areas is like concrete, but with deep ruts. In these parts, durability is much more important since grip is not a problem.

The tire is flawless so far with the pedicabbing. My front tire, a real knobby tire, had two flats so far from road debris, while it carries much less weight than the rear (none with big climbs with a full cab, which is an interesting slow-speed balancing act). The T&C is average for installation (although I haven't had to do it again since installing the first time) difficulty on a Sun Rhyno-Lite rim. The sidewalls seem durable, at least on par with knobby off-road tires. I'd love to ride this tire elsewhere (like if I can return to Moab, Utah or Black Rock City) to see what it can do.

The Town and Country is also put to work for real mountain biking in addition to the urban utility riding. I live next to Walnut Creek park in north Austin (really, it's right there) which is very technical, very hilly and full of jagged limestone and pointy things. On some descents, it slips a little, especially when I have the tire inflated for the road. It's just a little and I can control it. On ascents, it can slip a little if the ground is soft. The park also has more gentle and fast areas, but I can ride these on my brakeless track bike with the big gear (I have).

Keep in mind, I have a 1x9 set up (38t x 11-34) with no granny ring to gently coax the bike up hills so that can exaggerate wear and performance reduction. Maybe I'm crazy and that has nothing to do with it, but I want to create an accurate image of the conditions where the tire is used.

I rode the T & C in San Antonio on the Leon Creek Greenway (a concrete and asphalt bikeway) and related trails with the same performance, including riding through flooded areas during heavy rain. The water was over the wheels. The trails are a mix of natural surfaces from smooth hard pack to loose rocks, twisty, hilly ... a descent mix.

This tire hasn't the rooted and muddy trails of the northeast (I miss it a lot and I'm heading back soon), so maybe it won't perform as well there. I haven't ridden in snow with it either. When I return to NYC I can add to this review if I remember, adding snow, trips all over NYC, maybe messenger work, and riding in Connecticut.

Reading the other reviews, like reviews for other products, I can't understand the difficulty other users of these tires had. Maybe I had one from a good batch, or it's a German-made tire. I didn't see anywhere on the tire where it says the country.

I didn't know Continental moved some production to India. I use their bombproof and grippy tires on my other bike with none of the catastrophic failures I experienced with Specialized or Bontrager tires. I plan to replace the front with a Continental Mountain King 2.4 (and maybe the rear if I can get away from pedicabbing). I'm a big fan of Continental for their design and durability.

With the tire's combination of durability, off-road performance, on-road performance, dry and wet grip and overall quality, this is the tire for someone who rides a little of everything. Buy these if you live car-free and commute by bike and also ride for fun. Buy these tires for your weighted touring bike, cargo bike, pedicab. The Town and Country is the choice for many police departments and the choice for my pedicab shop when they replace the aging and worn Maxxis Hookworm tires on the trikes.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Hookworm

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Fusion (2002, 16") it's a size too small on road, but perfect off road or riding crazy; Almost nothing is stock other than the seat post and clamp.
Surly 1x1 fork, Crank Brothers Sage SL Freeride Directset (headset), Shimano FC-M521 175 mm Octalink cranks and bottom bracket; eThirteen Guide Ring 38t; Shimano M525 hubs and Sun Rhyno Lite rims; Shimano SPD pedals; Forte Pro SL seat (what a bargain!); Bontrager Race Lite stem; Ritchey pro 31.8 handlebars (cut to 50 cm); Sram PG-980 11-34 cassette; Forte 9-speed trigger shifter (rear only) Avid BB7 discs; Tektro levers and Gore Ride On cables.

Submitted by Casual Rider a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    Continental Town and Country Bicycle tires rolls more smoothly with far less road to tire friction than the mountain bicycle tire that were replaced. Traction is much better than many other simi-slick bicycle tires.

Weaknesses:    Cosmetically, the Continental Town and Country, tire look much cheaper and lower in quality than many other simi-slick, road or hybrid tires. Sidewall is flimsy and has no form.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these tires for the primary rider of the bicycle whom is my wife. My wife has owned this bicycle for several years and we were locking for a tire which rolled more smoothy and required less effort to ride, especially from a stopped position. I have ridden the bike on occasion, but mainly test ride it after lubricating the bicycle, maintenance or repairs. When I opened the box, as they were purchased on the internet, I noticed they were very cheap looking and very flimsy. When I installed the tires on rim, I encountered much difficulty in getting the bead to seat on rim. I have fixed and changed a lot of bicycle tires the the last 50 years and these were by far the hardest to mount. As I filled the tubes with air the tire kept pushing the tire away from the rim. On the rear after much work, I thought the tire was finally mounted but rode the bike one half block the tire separated from the tube and the tube came bulging out, even though the rim spec. matched the tire application specs.

I did notice that the tire are manufactured in India. I have seen same tire (make and model) on other bicycles where the tires were not manufactured in India. I would not have purchased the tires if they had looked like this cheap or if the owner of the other bicycle gave them a less than favorable review.

I may have been expecting too much as I expected the tires to comparable to the Michelin City tires I mounted on my favorite bicycle but was expecting this tire to have a bit more traction that the Michelin City tires.

Favorite Trail:   Los Angeles River BIke trial and around town on city streets n

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Michelin City tires

Bike Setup:   26 inch, 18 speed Mountain Bicycle with women's frame.

Submitted by mradventure a Weekend Warrior from california

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    quiet ad smooth

Weaknesses:    5 fire trail rides 3 flats THEY SUCK Been ridiing all my life DONT BUY THESE UNLESS YOU RIDE SMOOTH ROADS ONLY

Bottom Line:
Nice street tire but it has NO resitinace to anthing on the ground.

Similar Products Used:   only more agressive

Bike Setup:   48 LBS

Submitted by Grey box a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2011

Strengths:    Brilliant tyre when they were orginally made in Germany

Weaknesses:    Now they are made in India the quality has gone

Bottom Line:
Don't buy them. Lobby Continental to make them again in Germany where quality really does count.

Submitted by Stuart a Cross Country Rider from Croydon, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    This tyre is quiet, has low rolling resistance, good volume and is well priced. It is ideal for hardpack, dry singletrack and asphalt. It has good grip on wet asphalt and concrete.

Weaknesses:    Havent found any yet.

Bottom Line:
These tyres are great for what they are designed for, asphalt, hardpack and a bit of dry single track. When I go offroad I am running Conti Gravity 2.3, but for everyday use I think you would have to go a long way to beat these for perfomance and value. They are also a true 54mm (2.1") width as stated unlike some other manufacturers claims about their tyre widths!

Favorite Trail:   Silvan Dam and Warburton Trail

Purchased At:   chainreaction cycles

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Marathon Cross.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc with Bontrager Switchblade carbon forks, bb7 brakes and a 2x8 gear train.

Submitted by Drue a Weekend Warrior from Phila, PA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    Very Poor

Weaknesses:    poor ride

Bottom Line:
Recommended by owner of shop as a good road tire that can with-stand road glass,etc. Took bike out for a long ride, and the next thing you know, pop, a flat tire from a piece of glass. Also, not built for a comfortable street ride at all. I would NOT recommend these to tires to a friend.

Purchased At:   Jays Pedal Power Bik

Bike Setup:   7 speed Diamond Back

Submitted by Dave DiBona a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida , US

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    This is a tire that is perfect for Downtown, Urban and tough and rough places you might have to veer into or choose to go off the beaten path for a bit. It is quiet and lets the bike and cyclist ride with a silent ease.

Weaknesses:    I know of know weakness other than if you were a rider who likes the off road deep into the forest riding you might do better with a pure mountain bike tire

Bottom Line:
if you are seeking a tire that is 1. durable 2. quiet 3. on and off road capable 4. that rolls very easy with great traction 5. just feels good on the road

6. THERE IS NO CHOICE THIS IS YOUR TIRE

Favorite Trail:   Cacy Way

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle

Similar Products Used:   different other types but not for the last 10 years as when i purchase a bike i always allow with in the cost a new set of these tires. Rhe police bikes in Orlando all use these tire , that is all i needed to know.

Bike Setup:   26" for urban riding Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee have owned Cannondale and Fugi and put these tires on all of them.

Submitted by HaveBlue a Cross Country Rider from Centennial, CO

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance
Longevity
Smooth
Shock absorbing

Weaknesses:    Prone to flats

Bottom Line:
I've used Continental's Town & Country on both my bikes. They are a great tire for commuting on pavement only. However, because they are a very flexible tire, they are prone to flats. If you decide to get these tires, I would strongly recommend a thicker thorn resistant tire AND tire liners.

Favorite Trail:   Red Mesa Loop

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 hardtail and Sepcialized FSR XC

Submitted by BeaterBoy a Cross Country Rider from San francisco, CA, usa

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Strengths:    Fairly flat resistant, rolls along fairly easily, absorbs shocks pretty well, can handle bad pavement, some lack of pavement pretty well

Weaknesses:    Fairly flat prone, heavy, noisy

Bottom Line:
i feel i gave these guys a thorough try...not very happy...feel at the price i paid...-well- i'd've felt better if i hadn't paid quite that much...i don't know why this happened or whether it was the tires fault or not but when it was only on the front i took a sharp turn and the bike went out from under me...since then a few flats on the rear one and i thought due to all of that rubber i thought i could indulge myself in a bit of skidding which like to do as i ride w/a bit of 'attitude' but 'no' -appaently not ok as after only a couple of months of use i've got 'cords' showing thru' the rubber(did i mention i'm 'disabled' and on a very low income??)

Thinking of trying Michelins city tire w/that cool reflective strip..:-)

Have had a MUCH better experience w/the 'hand made in Germany' Conti Gatorskins(?) i use on the road bike tho'they are a more expensive model...btw: i don't know what a cross country rider is...i only ride in the city or outlying regions but always on pavement.(weekend warrior doesn't really describe me either as i ride most days as it's my only(pretty much)transportation...

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   REI, Performance(?)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hemisphere, some skinnier slicker ones like Gaux Street Runner...-not 1/2 as cozy...

Bike Setup:   several year old Kona Hahanna which has seen better days w/a topeak rack/racktrunk which i swap back and forth from my roadie-bike, Shimano spd pedals w/cages for street shoes, upgrade front wheel, Cateye computer and Nite rider l.e.d.Faz(?) light which helps to be seen while the Cygolite halogen 16 watt on my 'hail-mary-well-met' also swaps to what bike i' riding...w/the drivers here in The City one needs a lot of firepower to try to warn some of these mindless/homicidal jerks off...

Submitted by Sieveboy a Weekend Warrior from Mass

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth

Weaknesses:    Indian Outsourcing has affected quality, tough to get on rim

Bottom Line:
The gumwall is gone, and the tire is gard as hell to get on the rim. The old T/C could be changed almost by hand, now it takes at least two tire levers to mount. So roadside flat repair is a super beatch. Since the tires and semi-slick this is a real issue. Steer clear of these pieces of crap. I would have gladly put up with a price increase to keep the quality up. Too bad.

Favorite Trail:   Stewart

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Old German Contis

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F700

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    Fast rolling, round-shock absorbing profile, practical inverted tread design great for street occasional trail

Weaknesses:    Since Conti switched production of this tire to India quality has dropped DRAMTICALLY!

Bottom Line:
This tire used to be my go-to tire for city bikes when it was "Hand Made in Germany". The quality was exceptional all the way through, and i'd still have a great set if i hadn't sold them to a buddy a while back. I bought some new ones expecting that quality, but noticed to my chagin "Made in India"!!! Sure enough quality has taken a hit. Lower quality, softer rubber compund. Inconsistency in product as well. One was a NIGHTMARE to get on the rim, while the other i got on with my bare hands no sweat, both on THE SAME RIM!! Conti *ucked up big time on one of their (formerly) best products.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Xenith, WTB Slickasaurus, Kenda slicks, Bontrager slicks

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Routh 66 frame custom build-up with flip-flop ENO Eccentric fixed/free rear hub

Submitted by Zeke a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    Got them cheap. Rolls smooth and fast. Easy to mount, great thing when you get flats...

Weaknesses:    Not very durable

Bottom Line:
I've had these for about a year now and I still love flying down the lake front bike path on the weekends with these tires. I usually ride them on 60psi but I got tired of feeling every little bump I come across. So I dropped them to 30psi for a bit more cushion at the cost of a little speed.

My main complaint is the tire's puncture resistance, or lack thereof. I've had 4 flats due to broken glass going right through the center of the tire, the smallest shard being about 3/16 of an inch. The good thing is now I'm faster at fixing flats... great...

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Stock knobbies on a Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   '99 Rockhopper

Submitted by Morgan a Cross Country Rider from Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2007

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, highly puncture resistant, good shock absorption at lower pressures

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy

Bottom Line:
Great commute or touring tire. I've had these tires for years, and I commute 5 days per week, 15 miles per day. I cross gravel, glass, potholes, manholes, railroad tracks, and so on. I've only had three flats in five years of use, and two of them were due to broken spokes (due to the torque of the electric bike kit). So really, one flat that can be blamed on the tire, for 1000's of miles of abusive riding, has me very impressed. Also, with the electric kit on there, the bike is HEAVY, 50+ lbs. Yet I still hop curbs with it, and I've never had a dinged rim or flat. The tires withstand abuse.
I've also used the tires quite a bit on some of the local gravel recreational trails, and they are the perfect tire for that kind of use. They are fat enough so that they don't sink in the soft spots, but smooth enough that I can keep more speed than with knobbies.
As bomber as they are, these tires are also fast. Even without the electric kit on the bike, I pass roadies reasonably often.
About the only bad thing I can say is that with the steel bead, they are a bit heavy. But if you're commuting or touring with an MTB, then weight is usually not the point....

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa, Kokopelli