Continental Top Touring 2000 Tire

Top Touring 1.75

Submitted by Ed Schum from Courtenay, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2008

Strengths:    High puncture resistance - Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    None that I found.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the tires with the bike about 16 months ago. Since then I rode across Canada on it (7500 km) plus several short tours for a total of nearly 11000 km.

You can find my journal of the Cross Canada tour at:

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/crosscanada2007

I did have one flat tire in almost 11000 km's of use and the tires, including the side walls, look like I could ride another several thousand kilometers on them. I will, however replace them for my tour of Europe this summer. I hope I will be able to get the very same model of tire again.

You can see the journal of my Europe Tour at:

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/europe2008

The difficulties with placing the tire others have mentioned must have something to do with the rim they are using. I had no difficulties whatsoever mounting the tire on my MAVIC A-310 rim. It is a snug fit, but I was able to mount the tire without using levers. For some people who might not know, the secret when mounting a tire by hand is taking very small 'bites' at the time when rolling the tire onto the rim.

I wish tire manufacturers and rim manufacturers could get together and work on eliminating these compatibility problems.

Favorite Trail:   The World

Purchased At:   Wenting's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   You name them, I've used them.

Bike Setup:   Devinci Caribou Touring bike, most of the time fully loaded. Bike, gear and I weighing about 245 pounds.

Submitted by travis Konda a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, MO USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    Tough tire, I have over 5 k from commuting to work on them and they have finally gave up the ghost. I agree with those who have noted the tires are highly puncture resistant. I have rode over glass, gravel, and all the other road hazards that come with city commuting and have had only one flat. The tires came with the Cannondale T800 touring bike when I bought it in 2005. I am hoping to get another set to replace the worn ones.

They have performed well in all sorts of conditions including rain, ice and snow.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of, they have met my needs and then some.

Bottom Line:
Really good tire for the commuting environment.

Favorite Trail:   the one home

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   Cannondale T800 touring bike set up for city commuting. I am often hauling 20 plus pounds with me for work.

Submitted by KenS a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Puncture resistant.

Weaknesses:    None (maybe heavy if you are a weight weenie).

Bottom Line:
I ride mainly on pavement but go over roads that sometimes become dirt and have lots of runoff after a rain. I had two punctures on my Avocet cross tires and the center tread on wore out after a season. I was looking for something tougher. The Conti TT2000s have filled the bill completely. I have ridden them for 2 years without a puncture and the tread is just starting to show a tiny amount of wear. They look like they are going to hold up for a long time. It looks like Conti is going to drop this model but I bet they will be back because they are that good. If you are into light touring or urban commuting then give these tires a look.

Similar Products Used:   Avocet cross (tread goes fast on pavement).

Bike Setup:   Touring setup with 700C wheels.

Submitted by Jon from Maryland

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2005

Strengths:    Super strong - I've gone about 10k miles and not a single flat - on city streets over glass, etc. I see the other folks have had problems. I just retired them as they were just too crusty now and felt they deserved retirement. I bought Bontragers and would be happy if they're half the tire of the Conti.

Weaknesses:    Hard to seat? Maybe, but just a little difficult.

Bottom Line:
Super strong tires!

Purchased At:   City Bikes, DC

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike, rigid, Contis used for commuting

Submitted by Jay from Nelson

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2005

Strengths:    I used these tires while touring in New Zealand for a year, they performed wonderful under a fully loaded bike on both gravel and their rough surfaced sealed roads. They are extremely puncture resistant, I only had three flats due to small bits of glass compared to about eight suffered by my partner on IRC city slickers.

Weaknesses:    These tires are a real pain to bead properly, if you don't have a pump that will over inflate them to seat the bead you better hope a service station is close by....

Bottom Line:
Once I find tires that perform as well as these do but are easy to mount as well, I'll be happy...

Bike Setup:   Fully loaded rigid mountian bike.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2005

Strengths:    Please disregard the last (which is the next) review I left on these tires. Evidentally, they are pretty good. After changing to the Chen Shings I have already had about 4 flats in about a month. With the Conti top touring 2000 I had 2 or 3 flats in 11 months.
I have ordered spin skins kevlar liners and will try them with the Chen Shings. If I get a flat anytime soon I will buy a pair of flat resistant tires, but probably not the conti top touring. I will probably get something around a 26x1.5 and maybe slicker. The schwalbe marathon looks good. May also try walmart. But will definately look for punture resistant tires.

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
Yeah, they are good but pricey. I am going to give 5 chilis to try to off set my last review.
One other note is that the tires are alarming looking with all the gashes in them and chunks missing. They must be pretty good to still keep going looking like that.

Similar Products Used:   Chen Shing, fast but puncture easily.

Bike Setup:   stock giant vt3

Submitted by Tony from Chattanooga

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2005

Strengths:    see below

Weaknesses:    see below

Bottom Line:
I researched these tires and chose them over all the others. I road them for 7 months to work and back on the street. I did not really like them but road them anyway; they were better than mtn bike tires on the road. I did get a couple of flats so they are not as tough as they say. In fact, I would say that these tires are mostly hype.
I am using Chen Shing road tires now and they seem to be the same thickness, toughness, and everything plus they are ALOT faster and hold better on the road it seems. Do not know how long they will last but have been riding them for 2 months now and they still have the rubber nipples on them! I ride 30 mins. to and from work 5 days a week.

Similar Products Used:   Chen shing or whatever

Bike Setup:   mtn bike

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Reno, Nevada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    Long lasting
Smooth ride

Weaknesses:    None that I know of

Bottom Line:
I rode a pair of these tires on a fully-loaded, 4700+ mile tour and they performed as well as anyone could ask for. All I did was rotate them about halfway through. They're over 5000 miles now and look like they have another 2000-3000 left to go.

They're not hard to mount...at least I didn't have any problem, and I'm a pretty skinny guy.

I haven't had any sidewall or cracking problems like others have reported.

Puncture resistance is about average. I've had four flats in 5000 miles.

They perform well on wet pavement. I got caught in a few rain storms, and although I wasn't trying to break any speed records, I never had any traction problems.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Adam from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2005

Strengths:    longevity

Weaknesses:    A little tight to mount

Bottom Line:
These tires are more puncture resistant than most to begin with. I've never had a flat since adding a protective strip except after running over a board with a nail that punctured the sidewall. I had left my spare tube in another pack that night so I rode home on the flat, another 2 miles. I thought the sidewalls would've been trashed on this well used tire but they weren't. I had over 10,000 miles on these tires commuting over pavement, snow, and gravel. The tread was warn to a square-like profile but I just couldn't kill them. Finally, I did buy some new ones. If you're a die hard commuter, get some, but don't expect to casually hang with your road buddies who ride the skinney tires.

Bike Setup:   Novara Randonee

Submitted by Stephen Cope from Munich

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2004

Strengths:    They look good.

Weaknesses:    Sidewall Sidewall Sidewall!

Bottom Line:
I cycled from Germany to Australia and on average each one of my Continental Top Tourers got me between 500-1000km's (that's all) before the side wall would blow out. I was carrying heavy loads but it was very frustrating. I started off taking as many as 3 spares but the problem was so acute I switched to cheap Turkish tyres half way. I was cycling with a friend who had the exact same tyres but not the Mavic rims I was using. Contis and some Mavics are incompatable but neither company would admit to that both being leaders in their field. Continental gave me about 8 new tyres when I complained but I ended up giving them away to a bike shop!
When I got back to Germany I purchased Schwalbe marathons and they were an excellent replacement and I have had them on for about 20,000km's - no kidding.

Favorite Trail:   Karokorum highway Pakistan

Purchased At:   fahrah store

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Marathon have lasted 10 years

Bike Setup:   Raliegh Randoneur touring bike

Submitted by biketouringdude from Earth

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2004

Strengths:    Durable

Bottom Line:
I don't know what people are complaining about with this tire being hard to mount. Seems to work fine for me. Guess they are weenies. I have almost 5,000 miles on this set, and with proper care (like any bike stuff), rotation, etc, they are great. C'mon people! It's a touring tire! Rides great, and with a little care, it'll last a long time! No flats in over a year on these tires!
Hey, if you want to mountain bike, get mountain bike tires, and if you wanna go fast on the road, get skinny Contis!

Well worth the expense.

Peace, and happy trails!

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Trek 520

Submitted by Nick Wood a Downhiller from flagstaff

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    Long lasting, comes in wide sizes

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
Used these last summer on a Northwest/West coast tour. 2200 miles and only 2 flats. They would be cool when my BOB trailer tire was getting ripped into. The sidewall thing didn't affect me, I still throw them on my heavy-duty wheels when I don't have cyclocross tires on 'em.
Did I mention they last forever? Also, I used them for about 60 miles of some fireroad/heinous 2-track riding, and they held well enough down a long (10 mile, steep grade) descent on gravel to make me confident in braking. I pushed them around 20mph turns at 40 and railed down steep hills in Oregon with my brakes off. Very confidence inspiring.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Other road tires

Bike Setup:   '96 Cannondale t600 touring

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance
The brown sidewall/black rubber color combination. Is that really a strength?

Weaknesses:    Crap sidewalls

Bottom Line:
I know these tires are super popular among tourers in Europe. They have a rabid following like Ortlieb panniers (which I have and think are awesome). But these tires blow. As many of you may know, Conti's are well known for their treads and super-low rolling resistance. BUT, like the other models, Conti has a history of making great tire rubber but horrible sidewalls. That is their achilles heel: the sidewalls. Just check out the reviews at roadbikereview.com if you don't believe me. And sure enough, when I used these on my tour, the sidewalls started to crack. The same damn thing happened on my other road bike's contis. The last thing you want is your tires blowing on a tour in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Sorry folks, but you'll never catch me riding Contis again, no matter how many positive reviews there are here. Peace.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Nimbus

Bike Setup:   Yeti A.R.C.

Submitted by John from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Strengths:    Longevity
700x32 or 700x35

Weaknesses:    Not great for hanging with serious roadies. This may be a social advantage.

Bottom Line:
Great for touring, commuting, pavement of any sort - potholes, broken glass. Great rubber compound - has a dry and soft feel, not hard and slippery like synthetic rubbers. I changed the rear after 18 months at about 80 km/week - no flats.
The front finally got its first flat after 4000km. The last 500km it was looking a bit worn, but with plenty of tread. I just thought - lets push this baby.
I've never had a tire last this long or take this much commuting punishment.