Continental Speed King Tire

3.22/5 (46 Reviews)
Weight : 400 grams MSRP : $66.99

Continental Speed King CrossTires are fast rolling crossTiresThat are great inThe dirt and onThe pavement.Tire Bead: Folding, Steel ISO Diameter: 622TireType: ClincherTire Diameter: 700c Weight: 450(foldable), 520(steel) g PSI: 80 PSI

Submitted by chipmunk

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Light tyre, Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Soft sidewalls and side nobs. Give way too easily. DO NOT RUN THESE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR MOUNTAIN BIKE!

Bottom Line:
After reading some good reviews for these tyres I bought one to fit onto the front of my Giant Anthem. First event I did I came off when the front washed out on the road going down a hill. I blamed the road at first thinking it was because it was slightly off camber but a few weeks later it almost did it again several times. By now it was winter so I put the bike away and used another bike and tyres whilst forgetting about the continental. Did a 30 mile charity event in June and coming into the finish and turning a corner the front folded again. The tyre should not have let go, it was dry, the road was not smooth or greasy in anyway. I have never gone from horizontal to on the deck so fast. Waiting for the fractured femur to repair then I will be dumping this tyre.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2013

Strengths:    Light
OK in the mud
Fast rolling

Weaknesses:    NO grip on surfaced trails
Shoulder knobs fold easily
Deadly on rocks

Bottom Line:
These came a standard on my 2010 Boardman sport (2.1 wire model), and were quickly replaced, they have little to no grip on surfaced singletrack, and when on slabs of rock, you can feel the tyre "walk" across the surface as the shoulder knobs fold. They are fast rolling, but the lack of grip outweighs this. I replaced them with Barons, 2.3 front and rear, and they suit the Scottish singletrack much better. If you are ONLY running completely natural trails, maybe opt for the 2.3 model of this, but if that is the case, why not Barons or Rubber Queens?

Favorite Trail:   Twister Trail (red), Kirroughtree 7 Stanes

Duration Product Used:   6 weeks

Bike Setup:   2010 Boardman HT Sport, Deore crankset, Renthal bar, stem and single ring, X9 rear mech and shifter (9sp), Hope brakes, Rock Shox Recon Gold Solo air front end, Hope seatclamp and barends, Crank Bros split skewers, XT 11-34 cassette,

Submitted by ihaveaquestion a Cross Country Rider from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Strengths:    -Light
-Grippy
-lots of traction

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Very good tires. Couldn't be happier with them. Such a great improvement from the tires on my scrambler!

Favorite Trail:   The Abyss, Nanaimo BC

Purchased At:   PRB Nanaimo

Similar Products Used:   Kendas that came with my old Norco Scrambler

Bike Setup:   2009 Norco Storm

Submitted by mojo a Cross Country Rider from indiana USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2010

Strengths:    this tire rolls like loaded dice, fast and consistant

Weaknesses:    dont do no deep muddin with it it wont hang

Bottom Line:
this tire came along before the many other tires that are beeing made to out do its weekness, still in its Strengths it never turned its back on what it does well which is roll the road, grip some hard pack and grab hold of some crushed lime. Ive ridden with it, I got no complaints

Favorite Trail:   wynonia

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria randonneur

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Badboy Disk stock except Contis SPD KNG cross

Submitted by Pollution Warrior a Weekend Warrior from Taiyuan, Shanxi, China

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2010

Strengths:    weight; low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Could have better tread on the sides maybe

Bottom Line:
I like them. Rolling resistance is lower than I expected. I would like more aggressive tread on the edges though. Some people say these tires have dangerously bad traction. They may also be the ones with frequent trips to the ER too. I ride more cautiously than most because I really want to avoid going to a Chinese ER so these tires grip quite well enough for me. If you like to be a daredevil then maybe choose another tire. I've ridden on hardpack dirt, grass, off camber stuff, small rocks, ruts, and smooth rocks a little smaller than eggs and the smooth rocks were the only ones where I had any trouble, but I don't know that any tire would handle rocks like that any better. On two long rides over lots of different kinds of conditions the tires rarely ever slipped (no tire sticks to everything) and never in a scary way.

I needed a tire that wouldn't slow me down on pavement and would give good all-round performance in all conditions off-road and, other than maybe more aggressive tread on the sides, I don't think I could have done much better than this tire for my style of riding. Giving it 5 value chillis for the $22 price and 4 overall chillis because I'd like to have more aggressive tread at the sides.

Favorite Trail:   Anything without pollution or garbage

Bike Setup:   Kona Four full suspension

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    good in mood
weight
(foldable)

Weaknesses:    not durable (the foldable)

Bottom Line:
bad tire for use in the back, because of in the center ridge starting to cut through, mi recomendation is only for races

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   biciworld

Similar Products Used:   continenteal speedking wired

Bike Setup:   focus (german bike), DEORE, FOX, DOUBOE SUSPENSION,HYDRAULIC BRAKES JULIE MAGURA,

Submitted by Tjay a Cross Country Rider from San Franciso, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2010

Strengths:    This is for 2.3 SpeedKing SuperSonic non-UST.

-very lightweight. I weighed mine at 460 grams!
-can run 20 psi front or rear on tubes w/out pinch flats and I was running maxxis and specialized thin tubes!
-pretty quiet when use on paved road
-zero flats (no punchture or pinch)

Weaknesses:    -knobs in the rear was coming off after about 20 hours of runtime.
-very soft sidewalls
-sketchy on loose rocks
-rear end just breaks loose real easy even without applying brakes when descending.
-these tires just doesn't have the grip on dry/loose trails.
-pricey

Bottom Line:
climbing with these tires on a summer day/dry trail is great especially when using traction control with DT swiss/scott rear suspension but the downhill is where you need to pay very close attention. Even at 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50 psi, this tire is just loose and is very sketchy. It'll slip when cornering at about 15-18 mph.

I'll give this a 3 chilli because it has a very low rolling resistance and making it easy to climb even with a heavier bike.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   carbon XC HT and SCOTT Genius 50

Submitted by smcnair a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    Very Light

Weaknesses:    -Bad under steer on the front
-Side knobs soft as wet noodles
-not 2.3, both height and width were within 0.01" of my 2.0 Specialized Captains

Bottom Line:
Good: These are light, very light for their size (not 2.3 but still decent).

Bad: After 2 rides I am selling these.

I rode them on a trail I know well and have never slipped so many times. The front under steers bad. The side knobs are way too soft and there are too few. Sticky rubber is nice but not when it is so soft, these are like having pieces of wet noodles glued to a slick tire.

Compared to my Mutano Raptors, these made dry hardpack feel like wet roots. After the ride I was even afraid to turn fast in the parking lot.

I did a test against a Mutano Raptor. Front brake on, bike tilted 45degrees and see how far I can compress the fork before the tire gave out. On loose dirt and on hardpack, I could compress the fork with a Mutano tire at least 3x more before it would slip.

3 chilis for value because the weight is so impressive
1 overall because they have as much traction as a wet slick

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Spec. Captain SWorks, WTB Mutano (best), Maxis exception high roller

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Expert 08 just under 26lbs

Submitted by bobbob a Cross Country Rider from Mt Tamborine

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Strengths:    Supersonic version used and run tubless. Light, fast and gripy. Great climbers' tire. One must be aware that such a tire is not riden like a heavier tire and as such very rocky areas require careful line choice or unweighting of either end of the bike at the right time. Considering that they make up for that small fraction care the rest of the time.

Weaknesses:    Some of the users who buy these thinking a light tire will survive a heavy handed or careless riding style.
Not as good as the Explorer Supersonic which is no longer available.

Bottom Line:
If you are a mature rider (you not destroying parts regularly), not more than about 70kg, ride-fast-aggressive XC on non-groomed trails and want to run 30psi tubeless for max climbing grip then give these a go.

Similar Products Used:   All similar from Maxxis, Schwalbe, Hutchinson, WTB and Nokian

Bike Setup:   Sub 21lb carbon Giant dualie

Submitted by emil a Racer from Romania

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Strengths:    low rolling resistance, good cornering, good grip, very light.

Weaknesses:    worned out quickly, weak sidewalls

Bottom Line:
I'dont recon them. Not many punctures but the sidewalls were cut in several places by roots and rocks.
Eventually good for weekend warriors but not for training and racing. If you want a good response tyre but using it only in weekends you can give a try.

Similar Products Used:   maxxis advantage, maxxis ignitor

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpjumper fsr xc

Submitted by Nitrometal a Cross Country Rider from Lanham, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    This tire rolls pretty fast and, all told, does grip pretty well.

Weaknesses:    Casing feels pretty weak and pinch-flats - a - plenty!

Bottom Line:
I've never really bought into the whole idea of low rolling resistance tires so when i saw that these came on my bike i was less than thrilled, but i really wanted to give them a chance. first two rides out i was truely surprised how grippy they actually were! 3rd ride out though i guess my tire pressure slipped just a bit and i pinch-flatted in one of those situations where you're not even sure what did it! anyway, patched it, it slowly leaked down through-out the ride, and before i really even had warning, BAM, another damn pinch-flat! got home that day, threw on the 'ol trusty Fire XC Pro's, and haven't looked at these pieces-o-crap since. i'll probably throw them on a bike to sell it and be rid of them. doesn't matter how well they grip or roll if i can't finish a ride on them! 2-chili value because they came on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Ralph Stover

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro's

Bike Setup:   EWR with SRAM drive and Avid juicy brakes

Submitted by raducanmihai a Cross Country Rider from Predeal,Romania

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    light,fast rolling on the trails,grippy when dry

Weaknesses:    they wear extreamly fast,slippery when wet

Bottom Line:
They wear extreamly fast. I have the 2.1 Protection version in the back and the 2.1 "normal" foldable one in front. They have less that 2000 km and the one in the back is almost gone!
They were excelent when new ,but now it's a real hard work to ride in wet or muddy conditions because they are now very slippery. The good part is that because of them I worked on my ballance and now I am a better rider :)
I would like to say ,though ,that both ,the front and the rear one ,are made in India(instead of Germany for the higher models).Maybe this has something to do with this wear problem.
The rubber compound is very soft and any sharp stone goes through the tyre like through butter.
The good part is that on the dry trail they are insanely fast rolling .
I consider them race tyres ONLY.I used them on my trainings and the result is a pair of destroyed tyres.
Buy them only for races in dry conditions.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager ConnectionTrail,Schwalbe Racing Ralph,Ritchey InnoVader

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300 with FSA bar & stem,RaceFace seatpost,WTB PureV saddle,Shimano SPD pedals

Submitted by oldphaty a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Low Rolling Resistance

Weaknesses:    Flats easily and I don't know about the "black chili compound" gimmick? There's nothing tough about the tire. Tire's should hold air and mountain bike tires are designed to be ridden over rocks without flatting.

Bottom Line:
I'd steer clear from the speed king for everyday use, especially when your everyday use involves rock gardens. I've flatted twice in the past two weeks in the same spot on a trail that's not too rocky. That being written, I am going to take the speed king off and apply a smaller mountain king in the rear. I run the 2.4 up front and love it. I think I'll go with the 2.1 in the rear. Better traction, and hopefully no more flats.

Favorite Trail:   Galligator Trail