Continental Slash Tire

• DuraSkin sidewall protection
  • Puncture-resistant rubber compound

Submitted by wpointlax a Cross Country Rider from Grafenwoehr, GE

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    This tire is too heavy. The side walls do not hold up and it severely hampers my climbing ability.

Bottom Line:
This is the worst product ever made. The poster, Archangel, does not know what he is talking about. His ability to ride is that of an arm chair quarterback. I strongly suggest to any avid bike rider (from the beginning rider to the expert) do not waste your money on these tires.

Additionally, do not ride the Hohenfels track; it is a waste of time.

Favorite Trail:   Weiden

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Nobby Nic

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Scapel

Submitted by archangeljwp a Racer from Grafenwohr, Bayern, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    First of all this tire is heavy (630g), but super strong!
Durable tread on and off-road that works well when aired down to between 36-45psi.

Weaknesses:    You must wear glasses (common sense anyway) as they spit up everything on the trail into your face. Get fenders if you want added weight to your bike.

Bottom Line:
1. IMO this tire works well for tracks/trails that have extremely rugged and varying terrain. I raced them on a course in Germany that had loose gravel, boulders, very soft loamy soil, hard pack, roots that were almost hike a bike worthy and anything else you can imagine. They held up great when others were fixing flats or slowing way down on the technical, loose terrain.

2. Use them if you can power up hills and do not worry about slipping. I at 220lbs. full kit can power out of saddle with 35 psi in them, on wet loose terrain.

3. I will recommend them most for long duration races (50+ KM) where if the conditions get wet, you can keep motoring on when the rest are changing tires. And someone please tell me what is the best tire for wet roots! I have not found it yet.

4. Blueskycycling.com has them 2 for $40.00 in the 2.3!!!

5. I will more than likely try to find a more knobbied front and keep this in the rear for AM use and long races. The protection and traction cannot be beat.

Favorite Trail:   Hohenfels

Purchased At:   BlueSkyCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   All Schwalbes (easy to get in Germany), WTB WeirWolf, and many more over the years.

Bike Setup:   2008 Scott Genius MC 30, XT and XTR Components, DT Swiss 1800 wheels, Carbon bar, stem, and seat post, and other upgrades.

Submitted by Fukarewe? a Weekend Warrior from St. Petersburg, FL

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2009

Strengths:    I use a Slash on the back wheel, and it climbs like football cleats up steep, loose, sandy, root-covered sections. Climbs rocks like stairs. Rolls very easily, corners very well. Holds it's line, cornering in sandy conditions. The 2.3 section stays on top of the sand, while narrower tires I tried wallowed and plowed.

Weaknesses:    Soft, loose surface tire only. I would not use this for hard pack trails, or any street use. Would not work well as a front tire.

Bottom Line:
I wish I had a stack of these ferreted away. The ladder-like tread climbs like a paddle tire, and brakes very well also. I would only use this as a rear tire of course!

Favorite Trail:   Moonscape

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nothing climbs like this, without going to a much heavier tire.

Bike Setup:   2004 Maverick XL7, Duc forks, 6" travel all-arounder

Submitted by Licey a Racer from El Paso

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    above average traction in loose rock

Weaknesses:    does not work well tubeless, short sidewalls, 2.3 measures closer to 2.2, does not guard against "slashes."

Bottom Line:
I purchased two of these tires to run tubeless as my rear tire. I liked the traction but after three rides in a loose/sharp rock enviroment, I slashed the back tire so bad that Stans would not seal it. Even worse, the slash put a gash on my rim. I installed the second tire and did the same thing on a different trail. Needless to say, I'm pissed because my rims are now jacked up.

Bottom line: Do not purchase this tire if you plan on riding on loose or sharp rock. This is not a tire suited for all-mountain type use.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, WTB, Specialized, etc

Submitted by Psycho Mike a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Strengths:    Great grip, very predictable cornering, clears snow, slush and mud almost as well as a true mud tire, decent weight

Weaknesses:    No centre knobs (slower and less durable for asphalt and hard stuff)

Bottom Line:
For the time I've had them, the local trails (MUTs and singletrack in condition to be ridden) have been quite wet - either snowy, slushy or muddy. The Slash has hooked up very well and has given very predictable steering in all the conditions while clearing everything with ease. In dry sections, they continue to grip well. If you get pushing them hard or things are really slick, they give good feedback prior to completly washing out.

The lack of a centre row of knobs slows them down a bit on asphalt, but they roll at least as well as the Panaracers. May wear quicker if you do more street stuff because of the open tread and no centre knobs.

The Protection sidewalls are great running tubes, but they are not as Stan's friendly as they could be...then again, not all regular tires run Stan's well. That being said, the folding tires are pretty light for the size and volume, even when running tubes.

I got them on sale at the LBS, which made them a great value (cheaper than the Panaracers) and they have been doing amazingly well considering the mucky abuse I've thrown at them so far.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Bontrager ACX, Bontrager Jones XR

Bike Setup:   Modified '06 Gary Fisher Cake, Slash front and Edge (Slash 1.9) rear.

Submitted by Bandit350 from Tempe, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    Grippy at first, predictable wash out.

Weaknesses:    Wore out way too fast....
Lack of a center knob

Bottom Line:
these came on my coilair and were great at first. however, they had a short lifespan here in the rocky sonoran desert. i haven't tried them in mud or anywhere else. the lack of a center knob, even a small one, really hurt they're durability.

Purchased At:   stock