Continental Rubber Queen Tire

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Continental Rubber Queen Folding Tire: Continental?s Rubber Queen hooks up in a huge variety of conditions without any frame-clearance issues. Widely spaced, square knobs give you predictable traction as you stuff it into corners...

Continental Rubber Queen Tire Pro Review

I have been bashing away on a set of the Continental Rubber Queen 2.4's for around 4 months now, and I must say this is “Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy”. These are big suckers, that is just a blast to use, and they love to haul ass through the meanest territory you can throw at them. Yes, with these babies size does count! The Rubber Queen is a new tire for Continental, and it joins their other existing Downhill, Freeride and All Mountain tires the Der Kaiser and the Rain King. Continue reading →

Submitted by Trailsnail a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent grip in various terrains

Weaknesses:    price tag and tire cover seems rather weak (flat due to a thorn twice)

Bottom Line:
worth the money, the only tire I rode offering comparable grip in various terrains was the Tioga DH. Home terrain is dusty, sandy hardpacked dirt, but even on slippery wet rocks in the alps the tire did an excellent job

Submitted by pinkrobe a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2013

Strengths:    In the 2.4, BIG. In the 2.2, QUITE LARGE. Excellent rim protection, amazing durability and grip in all conditions.

Weaknesses:    Hefty, but the more I ride, the lighter it gets. Not my favourite front tire.

Bottom Line:
This is a great, grippy tire. My local conditions are loose over hardpack, with scree and roots. I have also used it in easy-rolling cedar forest, up fire roads, through greasy rock gardens on slippery Wet Coast roots and granite slabs. There's even a few days of lift-accessed riding in there. Control, predictability, grip - these are the main benefits. It rolls fine, even tubeless at low psi. This is not a weight weenie's tire - the 26x2.4 weighs 850g with the Kevlar bead. It's a fun tire. If your legs can generate the power, the tire will get you up just about everything. On the way down, it grips and drifts predictably. The large volume helps prevent rim dings.

I run the non-UST version tubeless [split tube] with Stan's as low as ~18psi [I am 180# + gear]. I tried using it on the front, but it had this tendency to grip loose rock and roll it in a weird way. Whatever, it felt odd. I moved it to the rear wheel and never looked back. ;-)

I have paired it with an Ardent 2.4 in front, and that is a nice combo. The RQ has more climbing traction than the Ardent, IMHO. I am now trying a Conti Baron 2.3 in front to see how it feels. Overall, I feel the RQ is an excellent tire.

Favorite Trail:   The one with the sweet downhill and the cool section after the twisty bit.

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ardent 2.4, WTB Stout, Maxxis DHF 2.5 and 2.7, Specialized Cannibal, WTB Velociraptor, Ritchey Z-Max, some other Contis.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD

Submitted by Rob Schofield

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2012

Strengths:    Rubber queen not so good. 2 weeks on normal rough roads the trim bead fractured & tour through side wall causing tube to explode

Weaknesses:    AS above

Bottom Line:
I thought it was great but did not stand up to much. I have another tyer of the same type which I will only use it on the front wheel.

Submitted by Nationals a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Great cornering and grip in the mud and on soft terrain. Had a Aspen on the front and changed it back to my RubberQueen because of the mud and the performance was awesome.

Weaknesses:    Need to have it at 40 psi or above other wise they wobble on your rim.

Bottom Line:
Great Tyre for the mud and soft terrain. Handles like a dream once you get the pressure right.

Favorite Trail:   Little Red Riding Huck, Rotorua

Purchased At:   Cycletime

Similar Products Used:   Aspen, Mountain King, CrossMarx

Bike Setup:   Merida Mission Full Suspension Single Speed with XT Hubs, Fox Floats RLC and Elixir 5's.

Submitted by rzozaya1969 a Weekend Warrior from Mexico, Mexico city

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls pretty well, nice weight, good traction for the trails I ride on.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I really like this tires, so far I think they're the ones that I like the most. I liked the Nevegals a lot before the RQ.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Nevegals, Nobby Nic, Fat Albert, Maxxis Advantages, Panaracer Fire XC

Bike Setup:   Knolly Endorphin

Submitted by Rollin'in'Zona a Racer from Northern, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    It rolls fast, corners fairly well, and handles itself in a predictable manner.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps the flimsyest sidewall i've EVER seen.

Bottom Line:
This tire(RQ 2.4 non-ust) felt FANTASTIC for three rides. It rolls fast, corners well, and handles itself in a nicely predictable manner.

However, on the fourth ride the flimsy sidewall gave way to a 1"/2cm gash while tooling slowly through 3"-4" cobbles. I'm so dissapointed - but not surprised. I almost sent them back when they arrived because I doubted the paper-thin sidewalls. At $75 per tire, this tire cost me $25 per ride. Unfortunately, I bought a set...

Favorite Trail:   Life

Similar Products Used:   Ah, 15 years of tires on 4 different bikes... Maxxis, Kenda, Schwalbe, Intense, Panaracer, IRC...

Bike Setup:   6x6

Submitted by jgusta a Weekend Warrior from PDX, OR

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2008

Strengths:    Huge, monster volumed, stiff sidewall tire with absolute no sidelug flex allows to run crazy low pressures with excellent pinch flat resistance. Good/great all conditioned tread pattern

Weaknesses:    Couldn't get to mount tubeless on standard rims with conversion kit like other non-UST tires. Raised my BB height a bit due to being pretty tall. Expensive and overpriced if buying them in the states.

Bottom Line:
This tire absolutely rocks! Only a couple weeks on it, but got about six good rides in varied terrain from rocks to roots to hardpack to wet to muck. Tire excells in all conditions except for mud and muck. This tire is also huge for its size, even bigger than the Schwalbe BB it replaced with better traction and roll over rocks, roots, wet and hardpack. The only condition I could see the BB to be better would be in the mid/late summer thick dust and crazy loose conditions due to slightly more aggressive tread, but the RQ kills it in everything else.

The ultimate AM/FR tire, good job with this one Conti!

Favorite Trail:   any thing rocky, rooty, and fast

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Big Betty, Conti Diesel, WTB Prowlers, Motoraptor, Kenda Neve, BG, Kinetic, Specialized Enduro, Maxxis Highroller

Bike Setup:   06' Turner RFX 6x6 with AM/FR build

Submitted by steve from australia

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    see below

Weaknesses:    see below

Bottom Line:
forgot to mention, the non-UST version only weighs 850gm; 1050gm is for UST tyre. Maybe an administrator can fix this? The apex sidewall has a thick insert above bead that prevents pinching, and duraskin means no sidewall tears. Will post a follow up later, for now I have to get ready to ride!

Favorite Trail:   see below