Continental Race King Race Sport Tire

If you're anything like us, you secretly bask in the enjoyment gleaned from dropping the hammer on your buddies. That's why you should make it a little bit easier on yourself with the Continental Race King Race Sport 29-inch Tire. Utilizing the blindingly fast Race King tread pattern, and a super...

Submitted by h82crash

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight, good grip

Weaknesses:    Thin carcass, for race only (unless you're rich and want to replace every 60-90 days)

Bottom Line:
Was setting up my Rip9 to be as light as possible. This tire is very light and it ran tubeless fine. Stan's is not good for any tire so no surprise it didn't work for this one. Read up on home brew sealant. Also, on any thin cased tire you should coat the inside with Shoe Goo thinned with toluene. Just paint it on paper thin.
I run this tire at 20 psi in front and 30 in the rear. Wash out is controllable and, of course, most likely in corners with loose material on top. I've never been as fast than on these tires. I think the right pressure is the key. That said, I think I'm going to try a slightly knobbier tire for the front. (X-King)

Not sure how people are riding to tear the sidewall so quickly. Perhaps a bit more attention to a good line would help. I got about 300 miles of heavy, stream bed, rock garden use and started to see the threads on my sidewalls. So, this tire, as the name implies is for race day. I moved up (or down) to the standard Race King. Only slightly heavier and a thicker sidewall. 2000 miles on it and still going strong.

Submitted by Jcurriergws a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2013

Strengths:    They roll fast and they corner well. Tread wear seems to be pretty good, but I'm not really sure because I haven't had, and won't get the chance to see. And I won't buy another set to see.

Weaknesses:    The sidewalls are amazing thin and the casing abrades too easily.

Bottom Line:
The sidewalls are amazing thin and the casing frays very easily. You can get them to run tubeless but buy stock in Stan's before you do. They bleed immense amounts of sealant through the casing. I found that 2 oz of Stan's followed by another 2 oz about 12 hours later worked pretty well - for a while. Then you scrape the sidewall against a rock and you're back to square one. I gave up on running them tubeless.

Oh, and did I say they are not much better running tubes? The sidewalls and casing are simply too thin and weak. If you ride in any rocky conditions what so ever the sidewalls are going to self destruct. There is simply no protection for the casing.

They might be alright if you never ride a real trail, but my guess is if you have these tires you are probably expecting to encounter a rock sometime. Then all bets are off.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   4" travel 29er

Submitted by Jamesm925 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Strengths:    none. total waste of money

Weaknesses:    lets see:

they refused to seal up, even after using 3.5 oz of stan's.

they weeped sealant constantly and lost an average of 20 PSI over 4 hours, causing me to blow through CO2 cartridges like they grew on trees.

rear tire sidewall was showing threads after my first ride (50 mile ride through rocky front range trails--heil and hall ranch).

rear tire suffered a side wall puncture on a seemingly smooth section of trail.

tire rubber feels almost 'too soft' and smooth. compared to my maxxic ikon EXO's, the rubber on the race sports just doesn't seem strong or grippy at all. in contrast, the IKON's are sticky, tacky and durable.

Bottom Line:
these tires came w/ my bike.

They absolutely SUCK when mounted tubeless. The sidewalls are extremely thin and weep sealant all day long. You will lose tire pressure in the figure of 20 PSI every 4 hours until you add 3-4OZ of stan's sealant. I tried every tubeless trick in the book to distribute the sealant, and still couldn't get them to hold pressure after a week of use.

Duration Product Used:   150 miles

Conti Mountain King II Race Sport discontinued?

At least that's what my LBS said when trying to order one. So I got the Protection. Also and more importantly, which should I have up front. The RaceSport (which is currently up front) w/ a 180 TPI or the Protection version w/ a TPI of 240? Both are 2.4" and I assume the treads will be the same.Read More »

Conti Race King Supersonic or Race King Eace Sport?

I'd appreciate any help/inof to help me choose between these two tires I am a bigger guy, 230, on an Orbea Oiz, just ride dirt roads, very litte sand and rocks, NO hucking/jumping, (those days are way over:nono:) Plan to buy the 2.2's. From the Coni website it look like the RK Supersonics are 470gms ... Read More »

FYI - New Conti Race King 'Race Sport' NOT tubeless ready!!

Was hoping they would seal better then the RaceKing SuperSonic - but the new RaceSports sidewalls are FULL of pinholes. What a shame - would be a great tire for tubeless setup. I have been setting up tires tubeless since the beginning of Stans. These Conti Race Kings are great performing on singl ... Read More »