Continental Race King Race Sport Tire

If you're anything like us, you secretly bask in the enjoyment gleaned from dropping the hammer on your buddies. That's why you should make it a little bit easier on yourself with the Continental Race King Race Sport 29-inch Tire. Utilizing the blindingly fast Race King tread pattern, and a super...

Submitted by Jcurriergws a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2013

Strengths:    They roll fast and they corner well. Tread wear seems to be pretty good, but I'm not really sure because I haven't had, and won't get the chance to see. And I won't buy another set to see.

Weaknesses:    The sidewalls are amazing thin and the casing abrades too easily.

Bottom Line:
The sidewalls are amazing thin and the casing frays very easily. You can get them to run tubeless but buy stock in Stan's before you do. They bleed immense amounts of sealant through the casing. I found that 2 oz of Stan's followed by another 2 oz about 12 hours later worked pretty well - for a while. Then you scrape the sidewall against a rock and you're back to square one. I gave up on running them tubeless.

Oh, and did I say they are not much better running tubes? The sidewalls and casing are simply too thin and weak. If you ride in any rocky conditions what so ever the sidewalls are going to self destruct. There is simply no protection for the casing.

They might be alright if you never ride a real trail, but my guess is if you have these tires you are probably expecting to encounter a rock sometime. Then all bets are off.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   4" travel 29er

Submitted by Jamesm925 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Strengths:    none. total waste of money

Weaknesses:    lets see:

they refused to seal up, even after using 3.5 oz of stan's.

they weeped sealant constantly and lost an average of 20 PSI over 4 hours, causing me to blow through CO2 cartridges like they grew on trees.

rear tire sidewall was showing threads after my first ride (50 mile ride through rocky front range trails--heil and hall ranch).

rear tire suffered a side wall puncture on a seemingly smooth section of trail.

tire rubber feels almost 'too soft' and smooth. compared to my maxxic ikon EXO's, the rubber on the race sports just doesn't seem strong or grippy at all. in contrast, the IKON's are sticky, tacky and durable.

Bottom Line:
these tires came w/ my bike.

They absolutely SUCK when mounted tubeless. The sidewalls are extremely thin and weep sealant all day long. You will lose tire pressure in the figure of 20 PSI every 4 hours until you add 3-4OZ of stan's sealant. I tried every tubeless trick in the book to distribute the sealant, and still couldn't get them to hold pressure after a week of use.

Duration Product Used:   150 miles

Conti Race King Supersonic or Race King Eace Sport?

I'd appreciate any help/inof to help me choose between these two tires I am a bigger guy, 230, on an Orbea Oiz, just ride dirt roads, very litte sand and rocks, NO hucking/jumping, (those days are way over:nono:) Plan to buy the 2.2's. From the Coni website it look like the RK Supersonics are 470gms ... Read More »

FYI - New Conti Race King 'Race Sport' NOT tubeless ready!!

Was hoping they would seal better then the RaceKing SuperSonic - but the new RaceSports sidewalls are FULL of pinholes. What a shame - would be a great tire for tubeless setup. I have been setting up tires tubeless since the beginning of Stans. These Conti Race Kings are great performing on singl ... Read More »