Continental Mountain King Tire

3.42/5 (108 Reviews)
Weight : claimed 530g! MSRP : $60.00

This is not the 2010 Mountain King ProTection. Nor is it the rockin' Mountain King UST, or Mountain King Race Sport. Head spinning yet? Don't sweat it. The reason for the similar naming convention is that Mountain King indicates a tread pattern, and each additional feature that comes with that...

Continental Mountain King Tire Pro Review

I have tested the Protection version of the 2.4 Continental Mountain King tires over the last several months on my Ibis Mojo. I have been able to cross compare them against several other tires in all sorts of variable terrain, and I must say they are primo! Long Live the Mountain King. I have used the normal version of the Mountain King 2.4 on my 29er for almost a year, and I have been very satisfied with them, except for their weak sidewalls that on occasion can be prone to tears and punctures, so the Protection version had piqued my interest. Continue reading →

Submitted by bob a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2014

Strengths:    tracks well as front tire
rolls well

Weaknesses:    a bit costly

Bottom Line:
would recommend, especially for the front tire - really trust it

Submitted by Paul

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    looks good;)

Weaknesses:    poor quality, several times punctured

Bottom Line:
not recommended

Submitted by John

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Grips on turns and pulls you out of ruts. does not cary a pund of mud in your tread like others.
Saved me from many spills. makes up for riders mistakes.

Weaknesses:    slow on asphault

Bottom Line:
I have had this tire on several bikes and never had a flat. This tire is not as thin as the Race King sidewalls but remember you have the light weight for speed. You can get a thicker tire but your adding weight, your choice?

Submitted by giantnorco

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    wear way to fast aren't very good in and damp trails

Bottom Line:
they where alright tires for awhile before they got worn then they where useless rode them in some wet weather and they made the whole ride sketchy

Submitted by GRANT191

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome grip on rock, sand, soft spots and even mud. Great climbing traction and put 550 miles on them before a thorn finally went through one!

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance and not the best for dry hard packed dirt trails, loose in the soft loamy corners too

Bottom Line:
For the $ you can't go wrong for a good all around cheap tire

Submitted by dgw2jr

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2012

Strengths:    Decent volume with 29x2.4

Weaknesses:    29x2.4 is more like a 2.2, tire squirms all over the trail, feels like riding on a flat tire. not good for dry hardpack

Bottom Line:
I had to put my stock Fast Trak 2.0 tires back on since the Mountain Kings were too vague and squirmy. The knobs are just too tall and the casing to floppy I think. I'm saving them for winter.

Submitted by Peter

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    Don't wear away very quickly

Weaknesses:    Don't seem to grip on any surface. You have to run insanely high pressures to avoid pinch flats

Bottom Line:
Basically on tarmac these don't work cause the little studs don't give any grip. On wet roots and rocks you slide. In mud it wobbles and won't track in straight line. If it is bone dry with no dust the tire works alright but if there is dust it will slide in the dust. Surprisingly I found it works alright on wet grass. I will not buy these again and will just pay a bit more and get a decent tire.

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    Price, climbs ok.

Weaknesses:    Endless pinch flats, always gets a pinch flat, this tire gives you a lot of pinch flats, pinch flats never end, eternal pinch flats and thin sidewalls(probably why it gets pinch flats).

Bottom Line:
I bought this tire because it was on sale and I was looking for a fast rolling rear tire. It has a good tread pattern that ok for steep climbs.

The downside is every single time I went on a ride with this tire, I got a pinch flat. I even ran high pressures that I never run just to avoid a pinch flat one time, but I got one anyway! I did one ride and I didn't get a flat on the trail and I was stoked I actually made it home with out changing a tube. I went to get my bike the next morning and the tire went flat over night!!! It is so thin you could never use this tire for its advertised purpose. This tire is for the guy who rides around at 60psi bouncing around on the trail all day on a 60$ bike he got off craigslist. If you actually ride your nice rig down mountains with rocks, branches, roots and dirt, buy something else. Fortunately I bought it at performance bike(walmart) and they let me exchange it and I bought a WTB wolverine(awesome!). I like continentals tread patterns but I will not be buying any of their tires ever again because I spent 15$ on tubes for a tire that only cost 25$ in the first place. Makes no sense.

Favorite Trail:   Big rock

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   performance bike(wal

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, WTB, Maxxis, Panaracer, Schwalbe

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Enduro

Submitted by sixtyone9 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    Price and weight

Weaknesses:    Thin side wall

Bottom Line:
I run these on front and ride mostly single track on loose over hard pack. In comparison to the Bontrager XR3, these are much better for front tire application. I can attest to the XR3's prone to wash out but these are holding up on the sections where I washed out before on the previous tire. For the price, I'd recommend it and buy it again.

Similar Products Used:   Continental X-King

Bike Setup:   '11 EX 7

Submitted by kerryn

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    The Protection Black Chilli version seals easily with Stans to run tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Everything else.

Bottom Line:
I run a 26x2.2 Protection Black Chilli on my rear. This is possibly the worse tire I have ever ridden. In a little over a month, over about a 100 miles of rocky Colorado Front Range terrain the tire is nearly destroyed.

Many knobs are torn off or severely worn. Its braking performance is non existent. The tire will lock and skid without the slightest hesitation. In addition the tire feels very noodly. While it grips okay when climbing (though it is a very slow feeling tire) on corners I get a rolling sensation that makes me think the tire is going to roll off the rim. It messes with my mojo.

On hard dirtpack the tire squirms and is very slow. I bought it primarily for rocky terrain though and it does climb but I don't think appreciably better than other tires. In all other aspects its worse than times I've had before. In addition its expensive. A $50 tire should last longer than a month.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by Andrew Gardner

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    The tyres are very light.

Weaknesses:    Not much good for trail biking. In three months (Cycling 6 days a week) over 15 punctures.

Bottom Line:
If you're going off road don't buy them.

Submitted by Karekare a All Mountain Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    Would be good in other conditions
Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap.
Has massive blank area before it grips on cornering

Bottom Line:
I had the 2.4's on my bike - soo Phat Bro! - manufacturer fitted also came with matching X King rear. Deffinately not suited to my style of riding. Mostly singletrack soft sandy and loose gravelly dry mud with corners (and 50ft splinters to keep it real).
They are great in a straight line but if I wanted that I'd have a road bike. Throw these into a corner at speed and there's a big blank response untill you lean over far enough to get the side knobs to grab, then when they finally get around to it expect a few of them to rip off.
Good if you like to buy new underwear.
I only gave them 2 Chillis as I'm sure that if you ride in swamps that these may be used as a floatation device - Safety first.

Favorite Trail:   mostly ones outside

Purchased At:   free on bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, Maxis

Bike Setup:   Zesty

Submitted by Baiden a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2012

Strengths:    Looks, light weight, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    flats, price, weak side walls

Bottom Line:
Tires look great and are very light. I ride a lot of rocky trails and eat up any tire I use. The Mtn Kings lasted as long as the usual wear I get. This tire does flat easy (really easy) due to the thin side walls. Also these tires flex A llot, more than any other tire I have ridden. I thought for a while I had broken a spoke but it turned out to be the flexible side walls. The tires may be too thin. Overall, money was worth it but moving on to a different tire.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky hill ranch

Similar Products Used:   All brands of tires

Bike Setup:   SC Carbon Blur

Submitted by doublenines a Cross Country Rider from Westchester, NY

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2012

Strengths:    Grips and corners on dry, loose trails

Weaknesses:    Wet roots and rocks

Bottom Line:
This review is for the regular Mountain Kings (non-chili, non-folding bead).

Bought these tires (used but almost new) on Ebay for a their open tread design. Immediately loved them on the Autumn trails. They grip really well on dry, loose trails (leaf covered) and the cornering was excellent. They shed all the buildup as well. However, they are a nightmare on wet roots and rocks! They cannot grip anything wet, so be prepared to slide around a bit.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Navegals, Maxxis Crossmarks

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC on stock Mavic rims (running tubes)

Submitted by tyrebyter a Weekend Warrior from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2011

Strengths:    Light, fast, decent traction

Weaknesses:    Weak, wear rate

Bottom Line:
Good first impression, able to stay on line, efficient climbing, traction on rock and loose stuff which is most of what I ride. Rear tire was gone at 100 miles. Front tire did not want to hold air without tube; not the tire's fault since it wasn't made for that, but when I cleaned out the sealant and put a tube in, the tire was horribly misshapen and unusable. Put the worn out rear tire up front and it too was distorted beyond useability. Could blame it on the sealant I suppose, but that's never happened with any other tire I've used. In any case, the wear rate makes this tire a very expensive proposition at 50 cents a mile. Think I'll try some others, but probably not Contis.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Not Paved