Continental Mountain King II Tire

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

The Mountain King has been completely overhauled for 2011.Those who desire a bit more meat for particularly difficult sections chooseThe Mountain King in 2.4. ForThoseThat would likeTo enjoyThe excellentTraction but would likeTo cut weight fromTheir XC bike, chooseThe 2.2. Improving on what was excellent soft/loose grip, and now delivering much better all-around performance.By beefing-upThe shoulder lugs, and creating more voidTowardThe center lugs – corning has becomeTelepathic.

Submitted by xmessenger

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2014

Strengths:    Grip, weight

Weaknesses:    Price, maybe rolling resistance but its not bad.

Bottom Line:
This is just my impression after one day of use but it was so different I'd thought I'd share.
First, I'd like to say that this is for the 29er 2.4" Racesport model with Black Chili and NOT what is being sold for cheap on many online stores despite having the best model in the image of their ad. I think its bad practice because you really have to know your stuff when you see this tire advertised for cheap. Many people think they are getting BC when its just the Sport model made in India and not Germany.
I ride a 29er hardtail which had Maxxis SB8s but, living on Vancouver Island in BC, especially when its fall/winter, I needed a better front tire. I got the Schwalbe RoRo because it was light yet had lots of well spaced knobs. It rolled like a dream and gripped well in dryer conditions and hard pack but riding with my bud ,whos better than me, had me lagging behind because I had no confidence in tight switch backs or loose fast corners. I was always getting this feeling like the front wanted to slide out. Oh, this was their latest top model and had about 25 psi give or take.
Today we went to Hartland, our local trail network, and despite having more rolling resistance and being louder, these tires completely changed my riding. Now I could lean more, go into corners faster and best of all have confidence in all situations. At the bottom of one run that has roots very tight turns and switchbacks where my buddy would normally be waiting a bit , I arrived within seconds. He was blown away. Saying that, wow, it was the tire that held you back-you were way faster.
Unfortunately, this new found confidence got me in trouble when we arrived at the top of this very steep ,expert level , freeride type trail. The type you have the brakes on the whole time while sliding faster and faster. My friend said nope but I said I'd try it. He saw what was going to happen saying that he'd get too much speed and not make the corner just past a pile of large rocks. Well, I did just that but headed right into that pile. OUCH! Flatted the front scratched the stanchions and tacoed my rim while landing my lower right back on a large rock. Bummer. Still, the Mountain King 2 is an awesome tire. So far.

Submitted by yukonjak

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    price, good traction, lighter then other tires I've had in the past.

Weaknesses:    very thin side walls, pressure change seemed to fix

Bottom Line:
Overall great tires. If you are looking for a quality built tire without a 60- 90 dollar price tag this is a good one. I got the 2.4 front and 2.2 rear. I did get a couple pinch flats but I changed my pressure to 40 in front and 30 in the rear haven't had a flat since. I've got about 250 miles on this set so far and they still have lots of life left.

Submitted by flowrob

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2012

Strengths:    Rolling Resistance is ok.

Weaknesses:    flats, flats, flats, no grip, thin side wall and did i mention endless flats.

Bottom Line:
this tire has some major flaws, the knobs are spread to far apart, which gives you endless flats.
i had 9 in 4 week's of riding ( i am 200lb) my wife had 4 flats in the same time (124lb) on forest roads.
we changed to schwalbe hans dampf wow what a great tire super grip in every corner and after 2 1/2 month no flats at all.

Submitted by Eric King a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    They stick to everything I've tried them in (everything except loamy soil which I haven't been in). High speed rock hits to low speed technical and not to squirmy. Great in Moab (the whole enchilada trail has it all ), the Colorado high country above Silverton, and even Marin Co. Ca. I used the 2.4 Protection, tubeless on the front only.

Weaknesses:    The fragile nature of the Black Chilli compound. I'm tearing off side knobs and exposing the belt underneath. I'm not a big guy (6'1" - 165lbs). This shouldn't be happening.

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for the right tire for me on this bike since I bought it a year and one half ago. I was getting a lot of pinch flats, both tubed and tubeless. I hate the feel of most of the bigger UST tires. Like wearing ankle weights. Race tire side walls are easily punctured as are their treads. This tire never flatted or lost air and for such a big tire, It's light. I love the tire but It's not lasting nearly long enough. Shoe Goo does a good job of patching the exposed belt when a knob comes off. I've lost 4 knobs so far in two months. Also some of the center Knobs are chipping.

Favorite Trail:   just about anything in Moab but at home - Q4

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   The bike came with high rollers which I hated, Specialized Purgatory's,

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur TRC. Front travel spacer removed to allow for full 140mm of travel. All mountain wheels with Continental X King (2.4 Protection) rear.

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    Works well in saturated loamy soil,tree roots,gravel etc.
Rolling resistance is quite low apparently due to the Black
Chili compound.

Weaknesses:    A little harder to get on my Mavic rims than previous Contis
I've owned as the inside diameter is slightly less than the previous version in order to be tubeless ready and as a result doesn't require as much liquid latex to seal.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2011 Mountain King II 2.2 Race Sport version and are a totally different than the previous version.
These tires wear well and also grip well, I love them
I bought these off ebay for 25% of the list price so I purchased two pairs...

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Small Block 8's, Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Schwalbe Nobby Nic, etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Blizzard and Rocky Mountain Vertex

Mountain King II 2.4 Fit Stumpy FSR 2012?

Will a Mountain King II or X-King 2.4 fit my Stumpy FSR comp 26"? I just stuck a Mountain King 2.2 on there and they seem narrower than my captains 2.2. Would 2.4 tire be overkill?Read More »

Mountain King II vs Ardent up front

Ready for a new front tire (I a ride rigid Karate Monkey in the LA area) and I'm debating between the Continental Mountain King II 2.4 and Maxxis Ardent 2.4. I currently have a X-King 2.4 front and back and as a front tire I'm finding that i need a bit more grip up front especially on the rougher/l ... Read More »

Continental Mountain King II RaceSport, the 580 gram, 2.4" version

Anyone Rollin' on 26s? I'm riding a SC Nickel, heavy XC to light AM and not really any rocks or roots to worry about around here. Do you guys like them? And, do they Ghetto up well?Read More »

Conti Mountain King II pinch

So, I have one question about these: I am thinking about getting a pair of 2.4"'s without any sidewall protection for my trail bike. These: [url=http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=83001]Continental Mountain King II Wire Tyre | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com[/url] But I d ... Read More »

Reviews on the new Conti Mountain King II ??

Has anyone experience on this tire? what about the traction, grip, and what about the terrains this tire is suited for? any useful comparision with similar tires from Schwalbe, WTB, Maxxis?Read More »