Continental Mountain King II ProTection Tire

3.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Continental?s Mountain King ProTection reigns over wet and dry trails alike thanks to its open lug pattern. This, combined with its large volume and...

Submitted by Rider8

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2014

Strengths:    Traction is great. Tire wears well.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are too weak. Too heavy to race.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 29er version of the tire setup tubeless. I love this tire. Great traction. Side knobs provide great cornering. Very predictable tire. It also wears well IMHO (I am 170#). However, this tire has a critical deficiency which is the sidewalls. Colorado front range trails are very rocky. Sidewall scuffs from riding rocky trails are a significant problem especially on the rear tire. Sidewall scuffs leak air badly. It is as if Continental put the air holding barrier on the outside of the sidewall of the tire as opposed to the inside. I keep having to add sealant to the tire to plug up the air leaking from the sidewall scuffs. If it weren't for this problem this would be the perfect all mountain tire. The search continues.

Submitted by Thomas a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2014

Strengths:    Grips like a monkey swinging from limb to limb. They are handmade in Germany. Most can't even say they are made anywhere in Europe.

Weaknesses:    Mounting the tire. Since they are UST they should be used as so. But they are difficult to mount in the beginning.

Bottom Line:
Yes, there are awesome tires. I like the fact they are quality, German made tires. Knobbies are excellent for climbs when you need them the most. Here is a bonus- they are tall. So you get a semi-29er tire. Yes, I said that. I have noticed a difference in tire travel on the high volume tires. Additionally they are a eye appealing tire. Sometimes (I'm completely sane by the way) I just enjoy looking at them- dirty or clean. One last note. The weakness is mounting the tire. If you run them UST you will pull your hair out trying to mount them- don't. Run then with tubes for a month to allow them to comply with the rim, then pull out your tube. Use an air compressor to seat the bead. Done. Excellent tire. Hope this helps.

Purchased At:   ArtsCyclery.com

Similar Products Used:   Continental Trail King

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll

Submitted by Mark Pearson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2014

Strengths:    Tough, fairly light, good grip

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Previously rode Trail Kings 2.4 UST and wanted to go to something lighter and slightly smaller so I switched to the Mtn King II 2.4 Protection. I didn't think I would notice the change in weight very much but it was really noticeable. I'm using Orange seal and it works great. I just wished it wouldn't dry out in 2 months. These tires have a little less grip on roots than the Trail Kings but not by much. I run about 25 PSI front and rear and rocks and those sharp little sapling stumps are no problem.I am very happy with my choice.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rucker

Duration Product Used:   300 miles

Bike Setup:   TREK FUEL EX9. Mavic Cross Trail wheels.

Submitted by c-dale99 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    light, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    no side grip, and the new protection is so plasticy, it splits w/out notice!

Bottom Line:
Use this as a ft tire for about 4 months. Not happy. No side grip, washes out easy, and it finally split along the sidewall w/out notice or any trauma to it whatsoever. Continental has gone downhill fast and I'm now dedicating a new brand to my tires...I've had way too many split and no reply from continental.

Similar Products Used:   all contintental tires

Submitted by Fred a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Strengths:    Braking grip, overall traction,

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
I have had these for about 3 months now and have ridden them in all conditions from pouring rain on Georgia clay to bone dry sugar sand in Florida. The only condition that they did not hookup in was sugar sand. The guys I ride with will leave me behind on the climbs but that is not because of the tires. Downhill and straight line are more controlled than on any other tire I have ever ridden. I would highly recommend these tires. They are a bit pricey but they are worth it so far.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek

Similar Products Used:   WTB Mutano 2.4, Panaracer Rampage, Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Rockshox Revelation, DHX 5.0, Custom wheels, Thompson stem and seat post.

Submitted by KGAmoto

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2012

Strengths:    Predictable as a front tire, about to add one to the back as well. Setup tubeless pretty easy and has held up all season without a single flat.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness I've found is a slight push / slide when the terrain gets a bit wet (on fast downhills). The Protection sidewall gets really ugly after a few hundred miles of abrasions with rocks.

Bottom Line:
I have 700 miles on this as a front tire and it is still in excellent shape. I'm about to move it to the back and put a new one on the front. Overall I think this is a solid tire option - tire tread design is great - stays clean and allows me to push hard through the corners. I'd recommend them.

Submitted by Vespasianus a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    OK rolling resistance. Easy to set up tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Poor traction, poor wear. High cost

Bottom Line:
Rolls slower than the old MK and wears much faster. My knobs started coming off within the first 20 miles and after 100 miles, is basically bald. Traction was OK, but seems inferior to the old design. Overall, a very disappointing tire. Would not recommend to anyone, which is shocking as I have been a hugh Continental fan.

Favorite Trail:   All

Duration Product Used:   about 125 miles

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Advantage, Continental MK Protection. Maxxis High Roller, Maxxis Ardent, Panaracer Fire XC.

Bike Setup:   2011 Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by TobyGadd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy, reasonably durable, tough.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I put one of these on the front wheel for this year's Colorado Trail Race (500 miles, 17,000 vertical feet, 7 days). I wanted something that would give me a little extra security during rainy descents. They also needed to take a LOT of abuse--the CTR includes sections of trail that are mostly exposed and very sharp volcanic rock.

The verdict: They survived! I did have one small sidewall tear (3-4mm), but that was it. They were stellar on muddy sections, and solid on hardpack.

Conti Mountain King II and X-King Protection 29er 2.2 tire review

[url=http://reviews.mtbr.com/continental-mountain-king-ii-2-2-and-x-king-2-2-with-protection-29er-tire-review]Continental Mountain King II 2.2 and X-King 2.2 with Protection 29er Tire Review | Mountain Bike Review[/url] [IMG]http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/leechilcotin6.jpg[/IM ... Read More »

Conti Mountain King II and X-King Protection 29er 2.2 tire review

Conti Mountain King II tubeless ready Protection vs. UST versions

I've ridden with Trail Kings and loved them. However, they are *heavy* so I want to move to something lighter for a new bike I'm building up and have settled on Mountain King II 2.4"s fr/bk. Now comes the dilemma - I want to run tubeless (I'm a tubeless virgin) and I have two options: either the UST ... Read More »