Continental Flow Tire

• DuraSkin sidewall protection
  • Puncture-resistant rubber compound

Submitted by Jimmay a Weekend Warrior from Hudson Valley, NY

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Looks cool. Rubber compound hard and will wear long.

Weaknesses:    Poor on just about every condition in the northeast U.S. At times felt the tread was pulling left and right even on dry hard pack. Ran with high pressure because lower pressure did not improve traction at all.

Bottom Line:
Not an East Coast Tire. Does not like wet rocky muddy leafy woods riding!!!

Favorite Trail:   Stewart MTA

Purchased At:   Friend gave them.

Similar Products Used:   Other Conti's. Been riding a long time the list would be long... Back to Hutch Spiders for now.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000, Sram drive.

Submitted by albertclew a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2008

Strengths:    Very light and cheap. Very low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    No traction on logs, roots, or rocks

Bottom Line:
These tires do not work for East Coast conditions. I bought them because they were cheap, light, and wide.

Well, two out of three isn't bad. They are not wide. Much narrower than the IRC TrailBear 2.25. Definitely not 2.3s.

I mounted them and went for a ride in the Fells. Immediately took them off, where they have been gathering dust ever since. They may work well in some areas, but here on the East Coast, these tires are dangerous!

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker State Forest

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Continental Survival Pro, IRC Trail Bear, WTB Mutano Raptor Race

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, XTR, Marzocchi, King

Submitted by Tim Fondren a Cross Country Rider from Hammond, LA USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, value, durability, multi purpose tire

Weaknesses:    None at this time

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with this tire. Two things I had to get straight though.

1. Mount the tires according to the directions. These tires are front and rear cpable, but the rear tread is reversed from the front. Look on the sidewall and mount them correctly. I mounted them incorrectly the first time I had them on the bike and thought it was a suckfest, but realized my mistake, reversed the rotation, and they are awesome as fronts and rears.

2. Inflation pressure is really key with these tires. If you over inflate them on loose stuff they will spin. If you go 28 or so on front, 25 on rear like earlier poster you will not be disappointed.

I use these in forests where i mostly ride in the southern US. They are light and nimble and very low rolling resistance, yet they hooked up on all climbs. Excellent excellent tire and stil on sale. Be sure to install them correctly though otherwise they will not work right.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer smoke and dart, maxxis ignitor, continental traffic, various specialized brand tires

Bike Setup:   06 Ellsworth Epiphany, Dave Thomas wheelset, various xtr, various sram xo, brooks saddle (the one component I will never change)

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, good roll resistance, shed mud great

Weaknesses:    For me...none

Bottom Line:
On closeout @ jenson for 20 bucks apiece, had to try them. was hoping for a bit more volume (they're not quite 2.3's) but today they saw a little bit of everything - some loose brushy/moist trails, some road, rocks (rail road tracks) - very surprised how well the did there, and finally some mud/loose silty dirt. that's where they really shined, the shed mud great and just GRIP. I had no problems going uphill without spinning or the tires loading up, crossing wet logs wasn't a problem either.

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velocipraptors, Hookworms

Bike Setup:   running front @ ~28 psi, rear @ 25 psi

Submitted by Robin Tankard a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield UK

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    Light for size, free rolling, hard wearing so far.

Weaknesses:    Bit sketchy on loose ground, not so puncture resistant.

Bottom Line:
For a large air volume tyre they roll well on most terrain but are not suited to really loose or heavy duty use - NOT an enduro / free ride tyre at all. Provide good comfort and stability on longer rides and seem to be fairly hard wearing so far (1 year and +1000 XC miles on). Seem best suited to damp soft conditions and I have given them a fair amount of abuse with no problems. Got a good deal on the pair, so value wise I cant complain.

Favorite Trail:   Rushup edge

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer XC Fire pro, Panaracer Cinder

Bike Setup:   Generic do it all hard tail with 130mm Forks, Hope discs and Mavic Enduro rims

Arch EX Front and Flow EX Rear?

I'm planning a new set of wheels and would like to get some ideas. I weigh 190lb naked, I do a lot of climbing, long rides, trail/all mountain. I'm more concerned about durability than weight. But I'll choose the lighter option if durability is very similar. I don't run tubeless and won't even con ... Read More »

Demo Flow Trail project update and Trail Construction Crew Leader Training

[B][U]Demo Flow Trail Project Update[/U][/B] Since the completion of the Emma McCrary trail, MBOSC has been hard at work behind the scenes on the Demo Flow Trail project and we wanted to give folks an update on the status of the project and our plans for the summer and fall. We are starting a googl ... Read More »

paid spam - flow 29er wheelset

Not having much luck trading these so may as well try to sell em. 400 takes em for sure but all reasonable offers considered. [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=87580]Flow 29er SS Wheelset - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Stan's Flow 29 old vs new (EX) ?

I had my front wheel built last season on a standard Flow. Now my rear wheel needs rebuilding. Is the Flow EX visibly different or should I go w/ the last model of the Flow ( found one online ). I know the EX is wider but I don't care for rims that don't match. Thoughts?Read More »

Flow Trail Advice

HI- Does anyone have any general advice on designing flow trail, or know where I can get it? Through my club I have permission to build six miles of trail at a local state park. It's in a region that doesn't have a lot of flow trail and that is what I'd like to build. Just general info now- how t ... Read More »