Continental Escape Pro Tire

3.82/5 (22 Reviews)
Weight : 515 grams

• Endless Edge tread design for superior all-around performance
  • Oversized center lug to improve straight-line climbing and braking traction
  • Ultra-fine casing for improved resilience and traction on technical climbs
  • Available in 2.1 Kevlar® beaded folding and Protection versions with DuraSkin sidewall reinforcement
  • Same tread pattern as the Pro tire, the Escape is an economic version for the recreational rider
  • ESACAPE: 3 carcass plies; 84 tpi
  • ESCAPE PRO, ESCAPE PRO TECTION:3 carcass plies; 170 tpi

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by condor1337 a Racer from kansas City Missouri

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good....?

Weaknesses:    Flat. Alot.

Bottom Line:
    I got these tire from the shop because I wore out the stock tires. I got four flats on the first ride.

These tires suck.

Favorite Trail:   Lawrence river trail

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance x3 w/ Rock Shox RP3, Reeba fork and full Lx componets

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Hamilton

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2007

Strengths:    Light, good climbing traction

Weaknesses:    Not a 2.1. Quite skinny infact. That is fine, but the label is misleading. Not that durable.

Bottom Line:
    I got this tire lightly used. The tread still had quite a bit of life left. When i mounted it, i was shocked to see how small it was. I was ok with the size though, i figured it would offer less rolling resistance. It rolled ok for a knobie tire, but there are faster options available. The traction was average. It died prematurely when i noticed that it was tearing away from the rim. Over the span of about 15 rides, i got one pinch flat, from bombing down a rocky hill.

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Kendas, Hutchinson Mosquitos, Spyders.

Bike Setup:   NRS, winman zac 19 rims, with conti escape on rear, kenda bearclaw on front.

Submitted by Jorgex a Weekend Warrior from Almada, Portugal

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2006

Strengths:    -continental soft rubber
    -dry track
    -great traction (sand/road/uphill/cornering)
    -rear tire only

Weaknesses:    -bad roller
    -not comfortable at all
    -not 2.00, more 1.8
    -avoid winter or any kind of water and mud

Bottom Line:
    A good tire for dry conditions, specially on sand. Best used as rear tire.
    There are tires that do the same like michelin HOT S (much more comfortable, the same slow rolling abilities and it's red).
    Nothing special really.

Similar Products Used:   nokians, huchinsons, maxxis, michelins, ritchey zmaxs, continentals...

Bike Setup:   Giant escaper'92, Manitou Axel 100mm(om),Hayes disc brake, Mavic mx 321(f) and Mavic D521(r)

Submitted by Jonathan jonowee Wee a Weekend Warrior from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2004

Strengths:    Review for wire bead model 50-559
    - All-round traction (Braking, cornering, etc..)
    - Cornering nice thanks to Endless Edge tread
    - Rolling resistance surprising low for this knobby tread, especially compared to my old sluggish Kenda Kenetics.

Weaknesses:    - Expensive if you bought them at normal price but then again they are Continentals and they create great tyres.
    - Sidewalls are thinner than the Kenda's, scary.

Bottom Line:
    Another good product from Continental. Damn Germans are good.

Purchased At:   A$10 at Xtreme Cycles Perth (Tyre clearance)

Similar Products Used:   Off-road- Kenda Kenetics 26X2.1
    On-road- Goodyear slicks 26X1.95

Bike Setup:   Continental Traction Pro on the rear.

Submitted by emil lewis a Cross Country Rider from berkeley CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Strengths:    solidly built tire

Weaknesses:    contiental calls this tire a 2.1, but relative to 95% of
    the tires out there, it's a 1.95 at best.

Bottom Line:
    i bought this tire today, to set up with stan's, but it's
    more than 1/2 in. smaller, than a panaracer fire xt.
    (measured from bead to bead, unmounted, and
    pressed flat)
    it looks too narrow for my taste. i'm going to return it,
    and try the Vertical Pro.

Favorite Trail:   pressure drop

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   in tubeless; hutchenson,panaracer,michelin, schwalbe
    and in tubed tires....well who remebers tubed tires.

Bike Setup:   blur,xtr,crossmax disc.

Submitted by Neil a Weekend Warrior from Modesto CA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent traction, light weight, seems to be wearing well. Quality made

Weaknesses:    Rolls slowly, noticibly slower that the explorer pro it replaced

Bottom Line:
    Solid rear tire. Provides exceptional traction, I don't think I have tried another tire that hooked up better. But, it rolls very slowly. Very noticable. It replaced an explorer pro tire, which I think I may go back to. If you want light weight and great traction though, check this one out.

Similar Products Used:   every thing

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail......

Submitted by Clout a Cross Country Rider from Montréal

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2003

Strengths:    Good traction.
    Solid with Stan's tubeless setup.
    Rolling resistance is just fine for such a tire.

Weaknesses:    None observed yet.
    It's made in Thailand, hopefully not by slave children.

Bottom Line:
    I had a very good experience with this tires (installed in the rear).

I swaped my Survival Pro because I wanted to reduce my rotating weight and I also felt that the Survival wasn't giving all the traction I required in the trails I do (basically technical forest singletracks (roots, leaves in the fall, rocky but not the the extreme, sometimes muddy). The knobs are too far appart (there is a new version though, might be better).

The Escape ProTection combined with Stan's tubeless kit is an excellent tire for general trail riding. I also used it for 12h and endurance racing. Nooo problems. It felt solid and inspired confidence on technical uphills (rock, roots) as well as in downhills (gravel, trails, rock). I usually run 25-30psi but will go as high as 40 for gravel road (I'm 180lbs).

I've passed LOTS of racer who were just loosing traction on wet rocks or harpack climbs. Felt quite nice!

I'm extremely satisfied with this tire.

Similar Products Used:   SurvivalPro, Hutch Alligator, Ritchey Z-Max

Bike Setup:   ExplorerPro Front, Rear rim Mavic X618, Stan's tubeless kit, Steel hardtail.

Submitted by Someone a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Dry, Sand, Hardpack, Rocks, and Gravel

Weaknesses:    If it is wet or muddy, might as well walk
    I hear they wear fast

Bottom Line:
    -A good tire for dry conditions.
    -Awesome in gravel and rocks.
    -Soft compound with small knobs give good traction in hardpack.
    -If it is wet or muddy these tires will quit on you.
    -Mud sticks to them like glue.
    -Slide all over the place on wet rocks and roots.
    -Small for 2.1's more like 1.9's.
    -Have been told that they wear extremely fast (the price for the sticky compound)
    -Expensive compared to other tires (kevlar)

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
    Use: Rear tire. Aggressive XC, and XC racing.

Great all around tire. I'm using it on the rear with a Explorer on the front. Keep in mind that this tire is being compared with other XC tires in it's weight class. It's performed well in all the conditions I've put it through here in the N'East. Good traction, stopping power, cornering, rolling resistance, and, so far, durability. (Though I've put many miles on this tire I've only used it for about a month.) The tire has performed very well on the rocks, hardpack, mud and as well as any on the wet roots. It has not packed up with mud. Considering it's light weight its held up very well to some very hard trail riding.

There may be condition specific tires that will out shine the Escape but for an all around rear tire its done a fine job. This tire is a bit pricy but you get what you pay for. It also seems a bit small for a 2.1. I'm 180# and would probably use a higher volume tire on a hardtail but on my FS bike this low volume tire has not given me any problems. I am using it with Stan's (great stuff).

If I'm concerned with speed and weight the Escape/Explorer combination is my first choice. For pure trail riding I'd go with a Conti Vertical Pro on the front and depending on conditions a Vert or Survival Pro on the rear.

This same review goes for the Explorer when used as a front tire.

I'll repost if I change my mind at the end of the season.

Mike

Similar Products Used:   Many, many, many.

Submitted by Stephen a Racer from Austin

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    Great climbing tread, sweet traction, low rolling resistance, keep you upright when cornering hard in mud.

Weaknesses:    Traction wore down in 2 months and I've still got a lot of tread left.

Bottom Line:
    I thought I had found the superior setup with the escape/explorer combo. I mean, I was absolutely astounded by the performance of these wheels. They hooked up on everything, I was hauling around tight turns and leaning hard (in mud!), climbing wet rock and roots and a lot of other stuff that most tires would skid out on. These tires were like a blessing from God...

...And then something happened. After about 2 months I was sliding all over the place, skidding out on rather easy climbs, and losing considerable traction when braking. These tires threw me into rocks and thornbushes during a race (not once, but three times!) which put me out of commission for about 2 weeks after. I was hurting so bad that I was glad I flatted on the 2nd lap and couldn't finish.

Now that I'm riding again, these tires feel skiddish just riding on the hike and bike trail which is mostly hardpack with some gravel. This is upsetting at $40 a tire. But, I'm going tubeless soon and can't wait to get off these tires.

I loved these tires....absolutely loved them....but they broke my heart and almost broke me! These tires should last a hell of a lot longer than 2 months. They've got tons of tread left but it feels like I'm riding slicks. 1 jalapeno for value on these mofo's for being so expensive and crapping out so early and 2 jalapenos on overall because they were a godsend at first but lost me a race and cost me 2 weeks of recovery time.

Oh, this was the ProTection version.

Favorite Trail:   Depends on how far I want to drive, or ride.

Purchased At:   Phattire

Similar Products Used:   Conti Survival & Explorer, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB MotoRaptor

Bike Setup:   Access frame, disc brakes, XT setup and the works (Chris King, Thomson, Titec)

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Strengths:    Very nice tyre at a bargain price; for a knobbly rolls well on firetrack forest roads and tarmac (used for commuting on/off road).

Weaknesses:    Haven`t found any yet

Bottom Line:
    Good tyre, works well under most conditions. Good grip in mud, peat and on soft grassy teerrian yet not that slow on roads or firm surfaces (used during UK Polaris events that include fair mix of terrain. Seems to be lasting well and not puncture prone. Price I paid was very good value.

Purchased At:   Elan cyclery, Rhayader

Similar Products Used:   Conti Explorer/Cross Country/Twister. Michelin Wildgripper Sprint

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 2001. Hope Discs/517s

Submitted by Marc Nio a Cross Country Rider from Maastricht, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Strengths:    Relatively leight weight, low rolling resistance for a tire with great traction and control in curves on all surfaces. Allround tire for all surfaces. I also use it on the front.

Weaknesses:    Maybe not a hard pack specialist, but a great allrounder, so, for when that hard pack becomes wetter and muddier when the seisons change...

Bottom Line:
    I changed the Specialiced Roll-X tires, because the Escape got very good reviews in a well known European (German)magazin (Bike). I was looking for an allround tire for all seizons on all surfaces, with a low rolling resistance, low weight, and great traction and control.
    My first impression: it felt very very secure on some wet and slippery rocky fast downhills! Wet roots and mud: no problem at all. Climbing: very fast. And I think things can only get better once the wetter in Holland improves in spring... Not the cheapest tires maybe, but worth its price!

Purchased At:   Jean Habets Cycles, Schin op Geul, Holland

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Wildgripper comp.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper '03.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Relatively light weight, rolls fast

Weaknesses:    poor climbing performance, cost, wear

Bottom Line:
    Purchased as rear tire to go with the Explorer up front, was somewhat disappointing. Tire handles and rolls well, but got poor traction when climbing-which seems to me should be a strength of a tire marketed as a rear tire. Eventually took it off in favor the Mosquito I was running previously. Not a bad tire, but I want more than that for $40.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat