Continental CrossCountry Tire

4.24/5 (106 Reviews)
Weight : 390 grams (kevlar)

Continental's CrossCountry model comes in two widths, 1.5" for unsurpassed speed, lightness and mud clearance; and 2.0" for extra rubber when you need it. CrossCountry's tread blocks features water-diversion sipes, reshaped chevrons for improved penetration and enhanced self-cleaning, with a more aggressive side profile.
  • 26 x 1.50 440 grams (wire) 390 grams (Kevlar)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by periwinklekog a Racer from Portland, OR, usa

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    Using the same singlespeed mountain bike for both short-track and cyclocross, I've used the 1.5's for 'cross season and the 2.0's for short-track. They roll fast and so far no flats on either width. An excellent tire if you insist on running 26" wheels. Although people say this is a muddy conditions tire I've used it successfully on drier courses with lots of loose, chunky clods of dirt. Good traction, amazingly low rolling resistance for the tread pattern.

Weaknesses:    1.5's no longer made and getting harder to find.

Bottom Line:
    I love this tire and have stocked up on a couple extra sets of the 1.5 because they're no longer made. You can still get the 2.0 and it's a fine tire for tacky or muddy conditions. Kinda spendy but Contis are usually worth it.

Favorite Trail:   PIR moto course

Bike Setup:   Redline Monocog singlespeed 26'er - with parts upgrades inc. Misfit Pstcles handlebar, Truvativ Styole cranks/GXP bottom bracket, Crank Bros 5050XX pedals.

Submitted by williesurvives1 a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Strengths:    low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    flat easy

Bottom Line:
    they roll fast but flat easy 2 years of riding them and one is shot has a bubble in it

gonna try Maxiss tires

Purchased At:   net

Bike Setup:   cannondale Scalpel

Submitted by CoconutFish a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, NCR, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2009

Strengths:    - Long lasting tread
    - Fast acceleration on wet to mucky conditions
    - Digs deep and still takes total control of the terrain
    - All-arounder, with total rolling resistance
    - The Perfect Rear-Tire

Weaknesses:    - Weak sidewalls... but still lasted 1.9 years of use
    - Expensive
    - Hard-to-find / Hard-to-Acquire

Bottom Line:
    I had this ordered from Newtons a few years back and used it on some occasions especially during wet and rainy conditions... and on one of my favored trails, La Mesa Watershed.

The tire lasted me 1 year and 9 months before it died down on me. It was the perfect muddy to mucky tire that would dig deep just to get enough traction to push it forward aggressively. The knobs on this tire are strategically places to provide perfect acceleration with superior grip that I haven't found on any of the tires I have tried. Even the Continental Edge 1.9 doesn't come close to it even if it has a large carcass compared to the CrossCountry's 1.5.

The only problem is its hard to acquire in my area. That you have to order it from the distributor to own one.

Bottomline, I would recommend this tire to all those wanting the perfect grip on wet, muddy and mucky conditions. This is the perfect-rear tire.

I just hope I can own one again.

Favorite Trail:   DRT - Kandila

Purchased At:   Newtons

Similar Products Used:   Continental Speed King 2.1 (wire), Continental Mountain King 2.0 (wire), Continental Edge 1.9 (wire), Kenda Small Block Eight 1.95 DTC (folding)

Bike Setup:   2009 Vision Pursuit (hardtail), 2008 SRSuntour XCR LOD, 2009 Deore Groupset (on 8-speed set-up), Shimano Non-Series Hubs with Alexrims XD-Lite on Continental Mountain King 2.0s

Submitted by illinihand a Cross Country Rider from Champaign, IL

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    Great Tread, fast, long lasting, great all around tire.

Weaknesses:    Side walls wore out but that was after 13 years!!!!!

Bottom Line:
    These are my favorite tires ever! I love riding thin tires, I feel like I am much faster and never have a problem on trails. I bought my first pair of these when I was in Jr. High School in the mid 90's. I quit riding for 13 years and have now come back to it. I found these in my parents garage and put them on my new bike and have been riding them for the last 2 years. The side walls are finally wearing out so I am going to get some new ones but I love these tires. My first set was a wire pair so now I am going to get the Kevlar.

Favorite Trail:   Kickapoo

Purchased At:   Pro Bikes

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 70, Shimano Deore XT compontents. Chris King Wheels

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, lightweight, great off-camber and mud traction.

Weaknesses:    Get's funny looks bacuase of it's narrowness.

Bottom Line:
    I won my first race with these!

There has been nothing but rain all season and wanted to get setup with a mud combination and I had heard that an extremely narrow rear is actually a good thing in the slop...it will dig down to the hard surface and grip along with maximum clearence in the chainstays for mud accumulation. This proved to be surprisingly true....they even gripped wet grass.
    I ran this as a rear-only with a WTB Velociraptor in the front. Pumped the contis to about 55 lbs. and the WTBs to 40. I'm a heavier rider so drop 5 lbs off both if you are under 195 lbs.

The day of the race, the sun came out and baked the course so there were only a few muddy sections that these handled well. The course had rutted out sections where I gripped the sides instead of bobmbing the middle and this combination held the off-camber wall incredibly well.

Running that narrow tire deifies logic. But they work really well.

Purchased At:   Roswell Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC (great all-around tire), Panaracer Trailblaster (flat monsters), WTB Velociraptor (great)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro, Raceface turbine cranks, XTR everything else.

Submitted by Elsa Chang a Weekend Warrior from Taipei, Taiwan

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2002

Strengths:    1.5 inch, looks great with my small frame

Weaknesses:    Weight: 470g (foldable)

Bottom Line:
    If you really care about weight, don't buy this product. It claimed 390g, but actually 466g in my digital scale.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn frame, XTR, Avid Mag, SID Race Carbon

Submitted by Giancarlo a Cross Country Rider from Genoa, Italia

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2002

Strengths:    It light and fast to hold the ground very well.

Weaknesses:    price is high and the side puncture.

Bottom Line:
    The tyre is very good for holding the ground and you can rely on in the wet too, mine puncture on the side which is bad and I speak to Continental.de and they say light rotts the side and it break. So is a problem as they make it. I get a new one for nothing so I am not unhappy. So you much watch the side.

Submitted by Jon.B a Weekend Warrior from TX

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    This tire is fast and holds a good line. The tread last a long time and is deep for a Kevlar tire. It has a nice "feel" on the trail.

Weaknesses:    A bit thin and the sidewalls are not made well enough.

Bottom Line:
    I am only writing because I have read some of the reviews here and I have had the same problems with the side of my Contis giving out. Down here riding conditions are different from the west coast but that seems to make no difference to the durability. Apart from the sides the tire is spot on and surprised me because it could hold a line even with lateral pressure which you wouldn't think looking at the tread. A shame about the sides they should be manufactured much better than that.

Purchased At:   speedgoar.com

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager:Hutchinsons:Tioga:Nokian:WTB:Panaracers.

Submitted by Louis a Cross Country Rider from Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    The 2.0 is good and works in all conditions. Not as lite as the 1.9 but like the Man said my 1.9 blew the side wall out but the 2.0 is different.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy and colud roll better.

Bottom Line:
    There are a few Cross-country tires and this is for the 1.9 & the 2.0. The 1.9 is better, superb tread that grips in anything with low rolling resistance and lite in the Kevlar. The side walls disintigrated on me. They are like layers of thin brown cotton that unravel..........strange. The 2.0 is sorted on the walls so Continental sussed the problem, but it dont roll as well. The 2.0 is heavier and the feel is heavier but its reliable. A good tire but for the back it washes out on the front.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC, Velociraptor, Onza Houch, Ritcheys

Bike Setup:   Scott Strike/Rockshox SID SL/Shimano XTR/Hope Minidiscs/Mavic Crossmax/ Ritchey bars, stem, seatpost & Pedals.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Northride CA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Strengths:    Great tread, lasts a long time and digs in good. Great back tire.

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
    The tread on these tires is real good it hooks up in most conditions and can cut it in bad mud and loamy soil. Not so good on the front it needs a front specific. Sad about the sides mine split clean out of nowhere! Still no idea what happened. Seems there is some kind of fault but I guess after 2 years Ive got no gripe. A real shame thou there was loads of tread on this one cos I hadnt used it much, 4 flammin turds for great tread but I guess only 2 for weird sidewalls.

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Bontrager Jones, Tioga, Hutchinson, Onza.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 FSR, Truvative/RSSID/XT/XTR/Hope4s/959s.

Submitted by Maz a Cross Country Rider from Upstate New York

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    fast and lite hooks up on anything

Weaknesses:    sides kind of fade away

Bottom Line:
    Nice and fast tire that hooks up real well in most anything.Walls are a funny kind of beige color and fade away. they not so much split or pop but mine just started to unravel......bad news. still I got told theyre out of production the 1.9 that is so I only paid $18..hey what dye expect.

Favorite Trail:   anything that I can learn from

Purchased At:   plaines.com

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer. Bonti. WTB

Bike Setup:   Marin Mount Vision with mavic Crossmax Discs. Xtr.Manitou Mars. 858s.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Bristol

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Great tread.......lite........fast

Weaknesses:    Lousey side walls

Bottom Line:
    This is a great tyre while it lasts but like a lot of other reviewers here my sidewalls have split for no reason. It's happened to other Guys I ride with on the Conti's like the Traction. Unfortunately in thr U.K unlike the U.S.A you get the " it must be your fault C**p ". I'm going with someone else from now on like Bontrager.

Favorite Trail:   Anything technical

Purchased At:   L.B.S

Similar Products Used:   Continental Navigator, Leader Pro, Traction Pro Dual (side walls split ),WTB Velociraptor, Onza Dan, Geax Blade, Warp, Beaumont, Tioga Factory XCs,

Bike Setup:   Kone Explosive, Marzocchi Z2 BAM Lites, Full XTR, Mavic Crossride Ceramics, etc.

Submitted by Spannerhead a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    Fast, nippy grippy, good in mud. Xlent forwrd traction

Weaknesses:    Needs to be hard. especially on rocky stuff. Like all thin (1.5) tyres it does not like gravelly loose stuff.

Don't consider it on a kona stinky unless you are just daft..

Bottom Line:
    This is a pure XC tyre. I got it because I wanted something that could hack the UK winter/spring mud. You can feel the rocks on it, but I would reccomend it to light riders who have light XC bikes.

I say put it on the back with a wildgripper on the front.

If you come to any rocky sections, pray, because you will be going fast when you dump!

Frighteningly expensive..