Continental Avenue Slick Tire

3.56/5 (16 Reviews)

Continental Avenue Slick

Submitted by HaveBlue a Cross Country Rider from Centennial, CO

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance; grip; high pressure

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls; square profile

Bottom Line:
If these were on sale and I could still find them, I'd probably purchase another one. I had this tire mounted on the rear of my 1996 Trek. It lasted 653 miles with only one flat. It still had plenty of life in it, but a piece of glass cut its life short.
The squarish profile always looked a bit odd to me, but with high pressure, it handled heavy loads just fine.

Favorite Trail:   Life

Purchased At:   Treads

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fatboy; Forte Metro

Bike Setup:   1996 Trek 8500 converted for road and commuting

Submitted by lew242 a Weekend Warrior from UK and China

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Strengths:    Long lasting, quick, good in rain.

Weaknesses:    So slick, useless for anything other than pavement. Could be narrower if road use only. Still made? These days many other tires do this job, and roll as fast or nearly as fast on road, but aren't suicidal off road (DMR Moto RT, Holy Roller, Traffic etc).

Bottom Line:
I had the version that was handmade in Germany. Great tire strictly for street use only, smooth and fast and great for leaning.

I'm much more into dirt than I was when I bought these, so nowadays I'd want something that could do at least hardpack/loose over, so for me a traffic 2.1 would be my choice these days. Or get a race bike.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Larsen TT, Maxxis High Roller, CST Maverick, Kenda Nevegal, WTB Prowler, DMR Moto RT, DMR Moto Digger, plus more

Bike Setup:   AM

Submitted by nomadrider a Weekend Warrior from Kentucky

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Strengths:    I have own and still using a set of "Avenue" tires on my bike. The rubber compound not too sticky on the road. I been rotating tires in the ten years of riding a single-speed. I have only one tire to replace, impressive tire.

Weaknesses:    The side-walls like to string-up between the rim and tire

Bottom Line:
If your train or ride your bike for a daily commute, a set of "Avenue" are a good investment. The rubber compounds in these tire are fun to ride on.

Favorite Trail:   the streets

Purchased At:   local BIKE SHOP!

Similar Products Used:   tioga tires: full slick.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi bOSS: 4" Big-Cheese bars, Oury grips, XL BMX stem, Sedisport 3/32" chain, Profile BMX chanks, ACS Claw sprocket, BAM-B1 pedals and a plush seat.

Submitted by robert mcdonald a Racer from scotland

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    Loasdagrip in corners
good wet weather performance

Weaknesses:    SIDEWALLS !!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Brilliant tyre for commuting, few punctures on Glasgow's glass strewn streets but , oh dear, those sidewalls are sooooo prone to exploding even when carefully cleaned and never having had a brake block anywhere near them (disks.

I've run several sets of these over the last couple of years and lately the Ultra Gator Skins cos they were promised to have more sidewall protection - they DON'T!!!!!

There have been many many complaints about these Conti sidewalls and we all appreciate the need for supple sidewalls in fast tyres but for a tyre to fail when only half used makes these cost about 40 uk pounds (80 dollars!) each.

I can hardly believe that Continental don't read the reviews of their products but the obviously dont.

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Specialised Nimbus etc

Bike Setup:   Trek mtb converted to urban warrior

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Pleasanton Ca.

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Strengths:    Fast and corners great on the road.
Wears long.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get seated on the rim properly.
Puncture easily.

Bottom Line:
I like how these tires work, once I get them on the rim, however it can take up to 1hr. to get the tire back on the rim properly (seating the bead) after fixing a flat. I've never had this kind of problem with any other tires.
I've tried talcum powder and soap and water, but nothing seems to help.
I see that one of the reviewers below, has had the same problem.
The problem seems to be, that the bead is too small in diameter.
I have finnaly gotten sick of the hassles, involving the remounting of the tires, and replaced them with some Specialized EXs.

Favorite Trail:   Any East Bay Park

Similar Products Used:   Trek Invert.

Bike Setup:   Trek 820, my commuter bike.

Submitted by Mr Bombastic a Cross Country Rider from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2002

Strengths:    Light, durable, quick

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I work downtown as 1 hour bike-courier during uni holidays so you can imagine the way I ride, the amount of kerbs I have to jump and how often I have to do some rubber-burning braking manoeuvres. These tyres (Avenue Semi-slicks) do it all. I've had hardly any punctures - I run them rock hard at their maximum pressure on "deep dish" Campagnollo 26" K2 rims (never go out of true). The semi-slick has a little thread so they are better in wet then the bold slicks. On dry they corner fast like on rails. Expensive but good.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyl, Magura Julie's, XT

Submitted by Ross a Cross Country Rider from Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Strengths:    Can't think of any, seriously.

Weaknesses:    Bad shape, e.g. squarish.
Weak construction.
Crap grip in the wet.

Bottom Line:
These are my first set of slicks, I got them for daily
exercising on the road. Well they fell apart after less than 60km's, the tire wall seperated from the bead and
the tube burst through. I was running them at 70psi which
is under there specified limit. They were seated properly
and I can't see any reason for this to happen other than poor workmanship. I'll be bringing them back to try for a
refund and I definitly will not be buying continental again.

Favorite Trail:   Little Ovens, Mundaring

Purchased At:   Cyclerama

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos,
Michelin wildgripper,
various others.

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 870, Hope XC hubs W/ sun rhyno lite rims & DT revolutions.

Submitted by johnbuck a Cross Country Rider from cleveland

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Rode these from Maine to Oregon, love 'em. One of that pair is now on the commuter, with a newer one on the back. Used this combo also on my alternate wheels for the mountain bike, before I had a road bike. Kept up with the roadies. When I need slicks again, it will be these. Yeah, I have broken a couple of tire levers and cuss words over them, too, but I'll still get them again.

Favorite Trail:   huckleberry trail

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Per a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    Rolling resistance.Grip, both wet and dry.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have only tried these slicks but i like em enough (Contis) to buy them again ,and to recommend them.And so far they have no cracks,seems to last good to.

Similar Products Used:   Nokia City runners .Mine started to crack after 4 months and wet traction are crappy.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Great quality!

Bottom Line:
USe the tires during a tour through Denmark and England (130 km) and the were great. Low rolling resistans and no flat tires caust by sharp edges or snakebites, something that usely get lots of during a long tour!

Bike Setup:   Plenty ryder cutsom build

Submitted by bikemike a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    Light
Fast

Weaknesses:    Very hard to get over the rim
needs narrower (hard to get) tubes

Bottom Line:
A great tyre for commuting. Set up this way my commuter bike goes just as fast as my road bike!

Favorite Trail:   wisemans ferry

Similar Products Used:   wtb slickasaurus

Bike Setup:   City commuter bike: flat bar, flat pedals, velocity deep V rims, LX drivetrain

Submitted by Walter a Cross Country Rider from Helmond

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Strengths:    low rolling resistance.
slick looks.

Weaknesses:    after about a year the rubber that makes contact with the rim hardened and the tire wont stay in place anymore. it doesn't come off (real tight fit), just wobbles about. after breaking hard with the front brake I need to deflate, align and inflate the tire. starts to make skweeky noises while riding. definitivly a big mis. just as the automotive tires they produce.

Bottom Line:
hand off!!

Similar Products Used:   panaracer slick of some sort, about the same age, MUCH better.

Bike Setup:   rigid bike for everyday use in the city.

Submitted by Ant Archy a Racer from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    Its got a low rolling resistance.
Grips well
Looks good

Weaknesses:    Tight fight on rim!
Sidewall a bit thin and exploded after a year

Bottom Line:
These tyres are pricy and give a good ride. The rolling resistance is low and the grip is good. I had big problems putting the back tyre on the rim, because it is such a tight fit and I broke lots of levers. The inner tube exploded through the sidewall of the tyre when I inflated it to 5 bar (75psi). That is not good, cause you want a tyre that can take that pressure if you are doing road training.

Overall it was a good product with little weaknesses.

Favorite Trail:   Jonkershoek

Similar Products Used:   IRC Metro
Spesialized Fat Boys

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 800 with Shimano XT, SID XC

Submitted by Anine Swart from Pretoria, South-Africa

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2000

Strengths:    very low roling resistance.
can inflate to 5.5bar
very tight fitting tires, wont blow off of the rim
seems puncture resistant

Weaknesses:    very tight fitting tires... snapped a plastic tyre lever on first install. (see below)

Bottom Line:
I bought these for hybridizing my yukon and immediately felt the difference in rolling resistance.
Tyre is puncture resistant and I've only had one rear flat from a protruding glass shard on the tarmac.
I've had LOTS of trouble mounting the tire true on my rims because they are so tight fitting.
**HINT** lube the bead with some liquid soap before you mount them, this will make it easy to get on and off.
overinflate the soapy-beaded tire inf you have trouble getting them mounted true... they should *pop* into place at about 6 bar.

Bike Setup:   '99 Giant Yukon rigid.

Submitted by Barrie a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1999

Strengths:
Low rolling resistance
Low weight
Available in 1.3
Puncture Resistance
Reasonable price considering the quality

Weaknesses:
Can wear quickly with excessive road use
May need a tire with more grip in wet weather

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these to escape the sluggishness associated with knobbly tires when commuting to work (about 60 miles a week). I noticed the difference immediately as the bike went much faster. I have had the tyres for over four months and so far I have had no front punctures and a few at the back. However the roads in South London are strewn with debris and frequent punctures are the norm. I have also noticed that their are a great deal of small nicks on the surface of the tyre when material which normally would have punctured the tyre did not get through to the inner tube. I am very pleased with these tyres as they put up with a great deal of abuse. I only have two complaints, firstly as a brake repeatedly on my journey to work this took its toll on my rear tire which was bare in under two months. I guess this is the compromise for low weight. Secondly with the recent spate of wet weather in London I have found that the tires do not grip well enough in heavy rain. I would certainly recommend these as an excellent commuting tire and I was so pleased with their performance that I replaced my rear tyre with the same product.

Tar Macadam