Bontrager XR4 Expert Tire

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Light and fast rolling. Designed to out-corner any other tire on the market. Engineered for XC and Trail riders in loose and rocky conditions. Covered by Bontrager's Unconditional Performance Guarantee. Available in 2.20 or 2.35, aramid bead, 60 TPI.

Submitted by Vuco a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2014

Strengths:    Great traction and cornering, great all round tire in all but the worst muddy conditions
Light for such wide and high volume tire (760g, 26x2.35")

Weaknesses:    thin sidewalls which I didn't tear on the rocks. but were prone to "snake bites" even on high pressures on the rear (both 2.35" and 2.2")

Bottom Line:
Got these on my Slash. They were very good tires, really good rear traction, good rolling, wide to specs (real 2.2" and 2.35"). My first good tire (before I had perfomance version tires from Schwalbe, Conti and others).

Rode them with tubes, 1.9bar fron, 2.3bar rear. Great front braking traction and cornering, great on wet, rocks and roots. After 5 very hard rides on the rocky trails, rear tires started to show some wear. Front still looks like new after 1000km on all sorts of terrain.

Used them on Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheelset. Easily put on by hands. Couldn't make them tubeless tho, but didn't try hard cause later on I bought the tape and Team Issue model for tubeless.

Only negative thing is that the same weight Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 (Trailstar and Pacestar) have a lot thicker sidewalls and are wider. Didn't tear the tire, but got a lot of snakebites on the rear when the terrain was rocky and fast. Even on high pressures (2.5-2.7bar for a 85kg rider on 160mm travel bike).

Favorite Trail:   Sljeme, Zagreb

Purchased At:   Rog Joma

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XR4 2.35" Team Issue TLR tire
All sort of cheap heavy performance tires from Schwalbe, Conti, WTB

Bike Setup:   Trek Slash 8 2012 with 1x10 drivetrain and Zee brakes

Submitted by ragetty a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    light, fast rolling, excellent grip on rock/woodland floor/fire roads/moist mud/etc., robust & difficult to pinch flat (for an AM tyre), price

Weaknesses:    when used for their design purpose, none yet seen ...

Bottom Line:
i don't normally write reviews, as opinions are so subjective, but these tyres are worth the comment. i have been using these for harder duty tasks than their design purpose and they have been great - i have thrown the complete gamut of alpine AM conditions at this tyre and it has performed flawlessly (one pinch flat on a high-speed baby-head trail, and really no surprise). i can only completely agree with the comments of my predecessors here - in terms of grip and hardiness, this tyre is a real multi-talent, an excellent jack-of-all-trades. i shall be trying bonti's more robust version on my enduro bike.

Favorite Trail:   lots of trails in the alps

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Similar Products Used:   maxxis arrdent, schwalbe big betty, onza ibex, conti rubber queen

Bike Setup:   maverick durance, used for high alpine touring and abused in enduro events, tyres are currently tubed

Submitted by Vhom a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, fast rolling, cornering and price.

Weaknesses:    Weight. But you can spend 15 bucks more to save 50 grams.

Bottom Line:
I got these to replace my MK2. I got about four rides on them and these are amazing. Let me say that these have the best of Kenda Nevegal and Maxxis Minions with the Conti Trail Kings rolling resistance into one tire. I'm so eager to wear this out so I can try Team version. Let's say, I'm more than impress. Was going to try Schwalbes Hans Damp, but at 70-90 a pop, I'll pass.

Favorite Trail:   I'm not bias, I like to ride everything.

Duration Product Used:   4 rides @ about 60 miles

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village Auro

Similar Products Used:   Kendas, Maxxis and many other tires.

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Trance X Advanced with Shimano XT parts.

Submitted by Lanvillas

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    INSANELY good cornering, huge, roll like mad once they're moving, eat almost everything that comes in their path!

Weaknesses:    No way! (Just don't think it is going to roll like a slick of course!)

Bottom Line:
These are AMAZING tires. Biggest strength CORNERING. It is like it floats through the corners at full speed no questions asked. If your friend has these on their bike ask to borrow it and take a super tight turn just so you can have the experience. Of course, every tire has its purpose...This tire is aggressive so don't use it if you want absolute minimum roll resistance. This tire is meant for almost the most aggressive of terrains, and that's what it does. I have full confidence in this tire, which is good if you are on rough terrain. I have tried to really push its limits and it has passed every test.

I actually enjoy using it to commute when there are thousands of leaves on the ground mixed with tons of water (since it rains a lot here). There is a corner on my commute that is a mix of several sewer covers, leaves, water and potholes and my bike would always slip out a little bit with other tires; I took about an 80 degree turn across it with these tires for the first time and just started laughing because it was NP for these beasts.

I have the 2.20 size. I'm glad I didn't go with the bigger size because they are a MASSIVE 2.20! (About 1/4 of an inch bigger than my 2.1 WTB Moto Raptors, which I also loved before they wore out).

Submitted by Britishnate

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Fast Rolling, Grippy and easy to install

Weaknesses:    None that I have found yet.

Bottom Line:
I am running these as they came on my Fuel Ex8. I used to have the 2011 version of these tires and the new 2012 model are much better. They roll faster, they are lighter and seem to have better traction than their predecessor. I am running these Tubless even though they state they are not and they work great. If you tried last years version and were not impressed I strongly suggest you give the new ones a try, you will not be disappointed.

Submitted by cb3kd a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Corners very well, fast rolling, seems to wear well so far.

Weaknesses:    Breaking.

Bottom Line:
These tires came on my newly purchased Remedy 8. After reading reviews on last years tires, I thought I would be giving these to a friend. However this years tire got better reviews, so I kept them on to give them a try. I have been really surprised!! The rear tire corners better than any tire I've had in a while. The only flaw I have found so far is under breaking, but the knobs are fairly short for speed reasons I would imagine. Other than that I couldn't be happier, and would purchase this tire again.
The front has not been as good, lacking stability under high speed corners. I am still getting my set-up on the bike dialed in, but I have tried different air pressures and haven't found the confidence that I have in the rear tire. To the rear tires credit, it doesn't seem to matter if it has too much or too little air. I haven't tried to go tubeless yet on these tires, they have been very durable with no flats after 9 rides on nor-cal sharp rocks.
Overall I have been very impressed, especially for the price range. Seems like Bontrager's focus on a better product has paid off.

Favorite Trail:   The Tunnel

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegals, WTB-Bronson, Specialized Captain

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Remedy 8

Submitted by mtbcville a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent cornering! And shreds through mud. Also pretty lightweight for the amount of tread. I also like the tubeless ready ability, although I haven't converted yet.

Bottom Line:
Decided to go with this tire just on the front to increase my cornering. It was a great decision, you can lean in to turns and these tires will stick all the way through. I haven't really had any issues with these tires. I've used similar WTB tires as these and they seemed somewhat slow. But I haven't experienced that with the XR4. Overall great tire, especially upfront. I don't think I would put this on the back as well though, I prefer to go with a faster tire for the back.

Favorite Trail:   O-Hill

Submitted by homer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Tall lugs, rubber compound, sidewalls.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
Came stock on the 2012 Rumblefish that I bought at the first of the year. After 3 1/2 months and over 500 trail miles (tubeless), I'm as confident on these tires as with my previous eventual set-up of Nevegal front/Mt. King rear. Grips as well as any other I've tried in wet conditions. Turned a fast a lap yesterday at my "home trail" on dry hard-pack and loose sandy and they stuck in the corners. Couldn't be happier with them.

Favorite Trail:   Franklin State Forest

Purchased At:   The Bikers Choice, H

Bike Setup:   2012 Rumblefish Elite

Comps to Bontrager XR4 Expert, 26x2.35"?

What are the comparable tires to 2012 Bontrager XR4 Expert (26x2.35")? Appreciate any suggestions.Read More »