Bontrager XR3 Expert Tire

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Fast hardpack or moist trails are no problem for the Expert with its advanced rubber compound. Look to the XR3 mountain bike tires when seeking an advanced tread and compound that can handle a wide range of trail conditions.

Submitted by Zoomie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2017

Strengths:    Nice volume for a 29 x 2.4 (I have 30mm wide rims). Very durable and puncture resistant. In the "lighter" range weight wise than other similar tires

Weaknesses:    Doesn't track well or hook up in corners, especially in sand or loose over hardpack

Bottom Line:
These came with my new Trek Fuel EX9. They were the easiest tubeless setup I have ever experienced in a tire. Both tires sealed immediately with a floor pump. The tires have a nice wide volume, true 2.4 but the cornering knobs don't reach down far enough to be effective. I live on the Front Range of Colorado with a lot of loose over hard, some sand, and rocks. These tires are solid, but they don't provide a whole lot of confidence in turns. The front end is squirrely and you don't get the impression the corner lugs are hooking up at all. The rear tire seems to wash out pretty early as well, but braking action is very good on both the front and the rear. Overall, not a bad tire for the price and the weight, but I would only consider it for a durable rear tire as it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence up front.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Exiwolf, Vittoria Saguaro, Vittoria Barzo

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 9

Submitted by nelson a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2016

Strengths:    Good grip, Good technical trail Good size

Weaknesses:    Keeps loosing tire pressure when converted to tubeless

Bottom Line:
Came with Trek Fuel EX7 2015. Is this TLR?

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX7 2015

Submitted by Osco a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2015

Strengths:    Predictable traction, never a surprise.

Weaknesses:    Can't find them In 2.40" widths

Bottom Line:
I first used this tire on both ends of my HT to replace the stock set. They worked perfectly for me.
I moved on to a full suspension 27.5 that came with a pair of very light, very fast wearing,very expensive Rocket Ron's.
I put the XR-3 Expert on the front right away and was faster on every trail I ride.
These tires gave good predictable traction on root's and rocks, and were fantastic in sand and pine needles.
They roll like the much lighter tires my Bike came with but give bucket loads more traction.
I am about to wear out the second stock tire on the back and my Bontrager XR-3 out front still looks new....
I will run the XR-2 on the back...

Favorite Trail:   RollerCoaster

Duration Product Used:   6 months this time, second bike

Purchased At:   Brandon Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Rocket Ron's, Impac Ridge Pac's, And the super heavy Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Tires: Front 27.5 X 2.35" Bontrager XR-3 Expert at 24 psi, As less air felt squirmy.
Rear 27.5 X 2.25" Bontrager XR-2 Expert at 26 psi, As less air felt squirmy.

Submitted by Uncle Two Dogs

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2014

Strengths:    Lasted over 500 rough miles, low rolling resistence, tough sidewalls

Weaknesses:    Squirly in corners when ran on the front and don't grip on wet terrain

Bottom Line:
XR3 Experts came on my Fuel 8; I set them up with Stans and rode them hard over the past year. I logged well over 500 miles with little complaint except they seem too squirrelly for use on the front. The front tire doesn't dig in like I prefer and they don't seem predictable in knarley corners. Pretty fast and have tough sidewalls, they grip rocks and roots ok on dry terrain, but slip more than I like when its wet.

Submitted by rockhammer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2013

Strengths:    Pretty good for a stock tire. Seem true to size. Pretty light.

Weaknesses:    Lack grip in wet conditions

Bottom Line:
Pretty impressive for stock equipment. The rubber is soft and wears quickly. I need wider and chunkier tires for the soft, wet Northwest Fall/Winter/Spring so I will be running the tried and true Nevegal. Lacks that 'bite' needed in the front for good steering. Works just fine in the back though. I will hang on to them and see how they do in the Summer. $50 msrp but probably can be had for much less.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fast Track

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX8

Submitted by Mevnet a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Strengths:    Decent rolling resistance, fairly light, good grip

Weaknesses:    More of a hard pack tire

Bottom Line:
Only been using it for about a month, decent grip and rolling resistance. Got a flat on front on my second ride, found a tiny hole in the tube, so probably nothing to do with the tire. It came standard with a trek fuel ex 7, 2013 model. A lot of people replace them with Bonty ex4, I just replaced them with Forte Pishah 2.3. Immediately noticed a higher RR but better grip in loose and leaf covered.
Overall a decent tire, I will give them another chance when it gets drier next spring

Favorite Trail:   Kelso