Bontrager XR2 Expert Tire

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

With the XR2, legendary tire designer Frank Stacy provides another race-proven mountain bike tire design for loose-over-hardpack trails. The Expert features a compound and tread designed for improved cornering traction and low rolling resistance.

Submitted by tigris99

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2014

Strengths:    Easy to set up tubeless with good, sealed sidewalls, great on my local trails: Hardpack, roots, occasion rocks. Surprisingly good grip in damp conditions. Weight.

Weaknesses:    Bead not "tubeless" so molding flash has to be taken off around bead to get proper seal. Not a weakness so much as it was annoying since I didnt notice it before first seating the tires.

Bottom Line:
Coming from running kenda karma 2.2 front and 1.9 rear. Set up now is this in 2.2 front with XR1 expert rear.

Tubeless was much easier, no sidewall leakage. Sidewall is a bit thicker and obviously more durable than my kendas which i tore sidewalls on more than once. Weight is about 100g less than my karma 2.2 which made me even happier.

As for riding. Took out to a trailset ive only ridden 3 times as first test for these tires. Damp hardpack (trails just opened that morning after lots of rain for 2 weeks) but these tires felt more right at home than my karmas. I even took a bad line on off camber and I could here this tire clawing damp roots as I tried to recover and recover I did. Very predictable traction, solid traction and transition for cornering is smooth. I couldnt believe the confidence I gained shortly into the first ride. Like these tires were what i had been missing this whole time. I loved my karmas as a beginner rider as they held onto about anything unless it was wet roots. These are much faster rolling but never a doubt in a corner, berm, braking, anything, they followed my inputs however small or large and tracked right where I wanted.

Rating comes based off of my limited knowledge/experience of tires, and this is my best front tire yet. Will check back after I ride one trailset 300m south (St Louis area) that has much more rock and other things that will put these tires to the test, but for my local trails, this has become my go to tire.

Submitted by bluebomberx a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    Great traction in dry, loose conditions
30 Day Unconditional Warranty

Weaknesses:    Weak carcass
Manufacturing defect?

Bottom Line:
Purchased a one of these on a Monday morning. My bike is set up XR3 front / XR2 rear. I set them up tubeless and at 25 lbs front and rear. I only made 2.5 miles afterwards before the rear tire suffered a puncture from a rock that Stan's couldn't seal. I was able to top it off with a CO2 and get back to the parking lot before it flatted completely. Thinking this was a fluke, I took the tire back to the shop the next morning. They promptly exchanged it and I was on my way. Set the new tire up and ran 30 lbs instead. After 14 miles, I have noticed a tear in the seam directly in the middle. The protection layer can be seen, but not ruptured. This is all in the span of two days. I am not hard on tires. The bright side? These flaws will be fatal on tubeless, but a tube will solve the problems. Traction is fantastic in loose over hardpack corners with this combo. I have a race this weekend and I'm going to attempt it tubeless and will report back.

Favorite Trail:   Burns Park