Bontrager XR2 Expert Tire

With the XR2, legendary tire designer Frank Stacy provides another race-proven mountain bike tire design for loose-over-hardpack trails. The Expert features a compound and tread designed for improved cornering traction and low rolling resistance.

Submitted by bluebomberx a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    Great traction in dry, loose conditions
30 Day Unconditional Warranty

Weaknesses:    Weak carcass
Manufacturing defect?

Bottom Line:
Purchased a one of these on a Monday morning. My bike is set up XR3 front / XR2 rear. I set them up tubeless and at 25 lbs front and rear. I only made 2.5 miles afterwards before the rear tire suffered a puncture from a rock that Stan's couldn't seal. I was able to top it off with a CO2 and get back to the parking lot before it flatted completely. Thinking this was a fluke, I took the tire back to the shop the next morning. They promptly exchanged it and I was on my way. Set the new tire up and ran 30 lbs instead. After 14 miles, I have noticed a tear in the seam directly in the middle. The protection layer can be seen, but not ruptured. This is all in the span of two days. I am not hard on tires. The bright side? These flaws will be fatal on tubeless, but a tube will solve the problems. Traction is fantastic in loose over hardpack corners with this combo. I have a race this weekend and I'm going to attempt it tubeless and will report back.

Favorite Trail:   Burns Park