Bontrager XR1 Expert Tire

The XR1 is an ultra-fast rolling, cross country race tire ideally suited for dry, dusty conditions. The Expert mountain bike tire features a foldable bead and has tightly spaced central knobs and an open outer tread design for plenty of fast-rolling traction plus powerful grip on dusty surfaces.

Submitted by wfo922 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2013

Strengths:    Light, fast rolling, seats tubeless very well on Stan's flow ex rims

Weaknesses:    Braking traction is minimal

Bottom Line:
Mounted on the rear of my SS 29'r. Riding done mostly in the PNW during spring-summer time conditions.

It's always a positive sign when you have a nice tight bead and one that seals right up with minimal fuss. My thinking is that if the bead is tight the chances of burping are less. Tire is a 2.2 width and it looks true to size.

Four months of solid riding have not fazed this tire. I have found that not all tires work on the rear of a SS. A SS tire has to have enough bite that when standing it responds with traction, which this tire delivers. It's a little squirmy on wet stuff but rideable. Braking traction is the least of any tire I've ridden.

This tire is a keeper for me. I will use in most all conditions. The quality has won me over enough that I ordered some of bontragers more aggressive treads for our wet PNW winters.

Favorite Trail:   Follow the leader