Bontrager XR Mud Tire

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

When mud turns to soup, turn to the XR-Mud with a trimmable, mud-shedding tread pattern that digs deep for impressive grip.

Submitted by Hardy Giesler

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2014

Strengths:    I have run Mud X tyres for a number of years, on 26 and 29er wheels. Initially they were tough to fit as tubeless and then seal, but now they slip on easily and seal easily, even without any Stans juice. ON my Epic 29 I run them on American Classic Race wheels and with the wider rim, the profile is more square and provides an even better grip. These are amazing!

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than the competition at 625 grams (29er)

Bottom Line:
Superb product. Significantly increases your confidence on the bike in muddy / slippery conditions

Submitted by KarlP a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Work great in the mud, snow and roll very well on dry trails. And, they are fairly light.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
I bought these tires for winter riding in the snow and mud and they grip better than anything else I've ever had (in the slop). They also ride great on dry, dusty summer trails. I have them on my American Classics and they seem to roll very well. I'll get another set when these wear out.

Favorite Trail:   South Park

Purchased At:   Trek of Shadyside

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitors and Tioga Psycho Genius

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit 29er rolling on American Classics

Submitted by henryk

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    True to size, strong casing in the 1.75, grips in mud but also a great dry trail tire

Weaknesses:    Hard to set evenly on rim so may not roll perfectly straight.

Bottom Line:
Had this tire out in the wet trails for the first time today, very impressive bite in slick mud but also on damp sandy areas and across rocks and roots. I dont always ride a smaller tire on the rear but when i do, I will be riding on the mud x!

Jones XR's in Mud

Has anyone ridden the Bontrager Jones XR's in muddy conditions. First race of the year is coming up and looks like it's going to be a mudfest. I've seen several posts about the Kenda Klaw's being decent in the mud, just wondering if anyone's ridden/raced XR's in muddy conditions. Thanks muchRead More »