Bontrager Select Invert Tire

Weight : 485 grams MSRP : $15.00

• Inverted tread for great traction and a smooth ride
  • Connected center tread minimizes rolling resistance
  • Tread design not front or rear specific

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    I bought these around 10 years ago to replace the cheapo nobblies on my cheapo mountain bike. They have been all round excellent in the urban environment I have used them in. Hard and fast rolling. I had NO punctures in all the years I used them until the one I had last year, which ripped the side of the rear tyre. I replaced it with a cheap Decathlon tyre for a year, which was horrible in comparison. This year I did the bike up a bit and put a new pair of Kenda slicks on. These were OK until I got multiple punctures in the back tyre over a couple of days. I had kept the old front Bontrager Invert and it is now on the back and everythings running fine again.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    A good value, hard wearing, fast rolling tyre. Particularly if you live in a city with potholed roads, dirt tracks instead of bike paths and broken beer bottles all over the gaff, as I do. The best tyre I've owned and I'm oooooooooolllld!

Submitted by dphazelwood a Cross Country Rider from Greenville

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    I've put on aprox 1000 miles on my bike and the tires are still performing as new. They grip well in the rain and in the corners. I commute about 7 miles each way during the week w/ these pumped up to 70lbs and yes, it's a bit bumpy, but they sure do roll well. I have only had one flat in the year I have had these tires due to a poor true job by yours truly. These handle packed gravel trails well too. If you're a commuter, to me, these tires are a viable option.

Weaknesses:    They might chunk a bit in skids - not that you should be skidding any.

Bottom Line:
    They might not be Continentals - but for the money these tires are worth every penny.

Bike Setup:   Trek 7100 setup for commuting to work. Fenders, rack, lights & pedals have been added to make the ride better.

Submitted by norseman a Cross Country Rider from rancho cucamonga

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2011

Strengths:    Smoooooth roller, great wear

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden these tires for 800 miles with only one flat and that was caused by a screw. I rode 200 miles on the bike with a full load that totaled (counting me) 300 pounds. The tires were inflated to 55 pounds and rode great and very smooth. They handle perfectly at 48 mph downhill on curvy mountain roads and have superb traction in the rain at speed. They honestly make me feel as confident as I did on my Kawasaki street bike. Mount these on a true wheel and spin the tire. You will notice they are razor true as well and well balanced. After 800 miles, the rear wear is barely noticeable and front looks new. The width soaks up the bumps which is nice on a rigid frame. Love em.

Similar Products Used:   First "road" tire

Bike Setup:   MTB converted for fully loaded tourning. 1996 Trek 800 Mountain Track, rigid fork, front/rear racks.

Submitted by poohed a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2010

Strengths:    durable long lasting tread, good grip on a multitude of surfaces, grips very well on turns, easy to remove from wheel, rain does not bother it at all in terms of handling

Weaknesses:    2 flats in three months, grips almost too well on tight turns so that you lose a lot of momentum and speed, not very easy to seat the tire, if you like to stand up and mash the pedals these tires will flex like crazy

Bottom Line:
    you can see a lot of reviewers here have hybrids and that's what i believe this tire is best suited for. It grips well on a variety of surfaces and its tread long lasting. I usually commute at least three days a week and its ok for that but really better off with something that is less likely to give you a flat and the fact that its difficult to seat after repairing the flat puts it out of the question for repurchase. Its not the slowest tire out there but at the same time its not the fastest so if you like to maintain a solid 16-17mph avg you will notice that a little extra effort is required. This tire is just adequate enough for me to keep it on my bike until it wears out but there are better tires out there for the same money or less.

Favorite Trail:   highway to hell

Purchased At:   came with the bike (

Similar Products Used:   other tires

Bike Setup:   jet engine, handlebar mounted bazooka, exploding balls of fire shooting out my arse

Submitted by JonathanD a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne IN

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth Roller, good grip, does well in gravel, great for commuting if you have to go off road just a little.

Weaknesses:    If your looking to go mudding, then your looking at the wrong kind of tire anyway.

Bottom Line:
    I can do the beginner trails with these tires on. In the 6 mile Frank Park Trail I only had trouble on a wet log and a deep-ish sandy patch.

I have had 1 flat from glass of something that cut right through the tread. I ride these 40-90 miles a week! I am trading them out for something a little more aggressive because they are not so good on steep rutted trails.

For the Money they are FANTASTIC!!!
    I gave them a 4 because I wish it had some knobs around the sides.

Purchased At:   Bicycle garage Bloom

Similar Products Used:   Bontager Jones

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon, Hardtail, stock+avid BB7s

Submitted by Lee Murray a Weekend Warrior from Keizer, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2008

Strengths:    FOR A FIRST TIME HYBRED RIDER THE TIRE IS GOOD AT STOPPING AND TURNING.

Weaknesses:    I SUPPOSE 80psi IS THE HIGHEST THIS TYPE OF TYRE SHOULD GO.
    IT SEEMS LIKE A CRUISER ON THE RETURN HOME> MAYBE I NEED TO BE IN BETTER SHAPE> I'M 67.TEN MILES A DAY FIVE DAYS A WEEK WITH A TWO HOUR BREAK BETWEEN.

Bottom Line:
    WILL BUY THEM AGAIN. THE DEALER SAID THEY ARE RATED FOR 12000 miles. HE CHARGES $30.00 EACH. PROBABLY WITH MOUNTING???

Favorite Trail:   River front/shoreline commute

Purchased At:   SCOTT'S CYCLE & FITN

Similar Products Used:   LOW END BELL 26" & 27".

Bike Setup:   TREK 7100/ 17.5 inch frame. I weigh 210.

Submitted by Izzy a Weekend Warrior from Borden, Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    Sure, excellent handling on paved roads at any speed. Quiet, comfortable ride. Long tread life. Seemingly good puncture resistance.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls of the gumwall models crack and dry rot within four years. The blackwall models I'm now using seem to have more rubber, flex, and uv-resistance in the sidewall.

Bottom Line:
    A most-excellent paved-road tire. Good on groomed, compacted gravel, too, like the carriage roads of Acadia Nat'l Park.

Favorite Trail:   Virginia's Skyline Drive

Bike Setup:   Trek 7500 Multitrack hybrid.

Submitted by Miguel a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, Harris

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2008

Strengths:    Grippy, smooth rolling, quiet too.

Weaknesses:    Not a whole lot yet. A little noisy in turns..? A little hard to mount, but not as much as mentioned here.

Bottom Line:
    A great street tire!! I installed them and was instantly impressed. Some inverted tread tires will vibe or feel funky in turns. These keep right on gripping. They make a little noise while turning, but this may stop once they wear in a bit. Very cool tread design. Other tires I looked at in the shop looked like modified MTB tires and would probably get spooky on the street like most seem to do. All around these are a smooth rolling very grippy tire. I can't wait to try them on wet surfaces. Not for a serious offroad bike, but they will probably handle a light hard surface trail.

Favorite Trail:   Tidwell Blvd

Purchased At:   Urban Bicycle Gallery (You guys ROCK)

Similar Products Used:   Moby Bites, Panaracer Hi Road, Serfas Drifters

Bike Setup:   Late eighties Schwinn Impact, slowly being converted to urban duty.

Submitted by Stutho from Gower, UK

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2006

Strengths:    Endurance these tires last! 4500+ miles on one set!

Weaknesses:    Not recomended for off road.

Bottom Line:
    I live in a rural area and ride about 15 (hilly) miles a day to work. The roads are often muddy, always wet and occasionally icy. These tyres have always been great (except on the ice!) I have used them off road as well – worked but wouldn't recommend.

Tyre is very hard to get on and off my rims but how often do you do this?

In short a fast but grippe tyre that lasts and last and last (+ 4500 miles)

Ps 3 punctures in 4500 miles (hedge clippings *2, ? * 1)

Purchased At:   came fitted to my trek

Bike Setup:   Trek 7700 (Ali hybrid, XT equip, 700c)

Submitted by Cole a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Strengths:    The difference between these tires and knobbies on the road are amazing. Acceleration is greatly improved and the bike feels much better than with the stock bontrager connection. I even used these on single track and could still keep up with my friends, just watch out for mud because you will sink right in.

Weaknesses:    none so far, few hundred miles and no flats yet.

Bottom Line:
    Good road tires for MTB that will take the abuse of city curb hopping and can handle XC off road, just dont do anything crazy!

Purchased At:   15.00

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by nick jan from nanaimo, BC, Canada (residing in Japan)

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Strengths:    smooth and fast on the road yet able to handle light trail riding if you are careful. The tread is great in the rain. I was even forced to use them with a light dusting of snow and some ice on the ground and had no troubles. The diamiter is big engough that they can take a fairly good hit without going flat in a second.

Weaknesses:    they don`t seat on my rims properly, making them one of the probably the most frustrating set of tires I`ve ever owned. Any other tire I put on the rim seats perfectly yet I really have to work at these to get all the lumps and bumps to go away.

Bottom Line:
    The tires have the perfect deamiter, tread pattern and performance, the only problem is the hassle involved in getting them seated. For this reason, I won`t buy them again.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt will do

Purchased At:   Ken`s Cyclehouse

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson top slick.

Bike Setup:   frame and wheels. what do you care, you`re reading this for the tires, right?

Submitted by Don Smith a Weekend Warrior from Cullman AL USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    Very smooth ride for street. Greatly improved cornering over my OEM tires. First day out matched my personal best on a short 12 mile road circuit I ride. Tolerant of small road debris on street and not wet sensitive. Very resistant to wandering.

Weaknesses:    Wish it came in a 1.95. Don't buy if you are going to spend time in loose stuff off road.

Bottom Line:
    Strongly recommend to anyone who uses their bike 90% on the road. Makes a great front tire for a larger rear. I've ridden street motercycles for years and the idea of a narrow ribbed front with smooth centered rear is standard. I now run the Bontanger Invert 1.5 in the front with a Bontranger 1.95 Comfort on the rear.

Purchased At:   Huntsville AL