Bontrager Revolt ST2 Tire

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)
Weight : 550 grams <br>(1.95 rear) MSRP : $40.00

Fast! 3mm center tread block height for better traction than Revolt SS and ST in a variety of conditions.
  • Center file pattern adds puncture resistance and improves grip
  • Tread design is laid out to minimize rolling resistance

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chuck Taylor a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth, TX

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2003

Strengths:    * Low rolling resistence
    * Good cornering

Weaknesses:    * THEY HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED... Wahhh snif snif wahhhh

Bottom Line:
    Compared to the Bontrager Jones, I loved these tires. I was skeptical at first that the incredibly low rolling resistance was going to make for a poor cornering tire. Not the case at all; I had a lot of confidence in this tire when cornering (and I corner tight according to my riding companions). The climbing wasn't bad either; although I did think the Jones were better climbers.

I went to pick up a new set at the LBS and found out that the tires have been discontinued. I'm gonna miss these tires.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with Mavic 517 rims.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from NE Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    durable, low rolling resistance, great grip, corners well

Bottom Line:
    These are great tire for OH...wooded single track

Favorite Trail:   Not too picky

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   Conti's, Specialized, Panaracer

Bike Setup:   SWEEEET

Submitted by brandon a Weekend Warrior from houston

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance
    Great grip

Corners well

***Predictable 'n reliable

Weaknesses:    heres a thought... sell a front ST2 with a Super X for the rear... thats what i used to run (i use a python on the rear right now....very similar to the super x)

Bottom Line:
    5 flamin rodents
    for this marvelous
    tire. This tire
    is similar to the
    popular Velociraptor
    but it is better
    because it
    DOES NOT WASH OUT IN CURVES!

great tire.......... run a st2 up front and a super x or python air lite in the rear. great for hardpack etc

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   kendas (hahahahahaha) and a hutchison python air lite.

Bike Setup:   97 Jamis Dakar frame (before they messed up the geometry)
    01 Manitou Mars C
    LX/XTR drivetrain

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Strengths:    Grips in a pretty wide variety of conditions from hardpack to gravel over hardpack to soil to loose rock. Front tracks well and rear gives good climbing traction. Both offer good braking. If you do ride to the trailhead, these tires also do well on asphalt, not that it really matters.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have the grip of a meatier tire, but that's exactly how it's advertised. Front tire is advertised as 550 grams but mine is 610 grams. This is a little too heavy for the type of riding I do in the places where I ride. The rear is 550 grams as advertised, though. Maybe this discrepancy is to be expected because, outside of Hutchinson Python Air Lites (which really do weigh 480 grams), most tire manufacturers lower the real weight of their tires by about 10%. It doesn't pay to be a gram counter. Better to value a bike by the ride it gives you, not by how much it weighs, anyway.

Bottom Line:
    Tires are very high quality. They are very durable. I suppose this is due to a high durometer rubber which probably also decreases grip. But the Bontragers have 127 tpi which makes the tires supple and I suppose decreases rolling resistance, which is not a quantifiable characteristic in the real world and so is useless in the real world (IMHO). The tires grip well and the rear tire is very light for one with so much tread.

These things are cheaper and more durable than a lot of "racing tires." And I run 40-45 lbs with no pinch flats.
    But I'm not a very gonzo rider. If you are, go with the Joneses.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Bikes

Similar Products Used:   You name it.

Bike Setup:   Klein HT with mostly XT and Speedgoat conversion forks.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Delhi, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    -exellent grip
    -little rolling resistance
    -great cornering
    -lasts a long time

Weaknesses:    -none

Bottom Line:
    These tires are great. They are the best tires I've ever ridden. The IRC's are lighter (by 10 grams) but the Revolts are far superior in terms of traction and all-around use. I've rode them for 5 months and they are still in great condition. I will definetly buy these again. Now go do yourself a favour and buy a set. They are "da bomb"

Favorite Trail:   Dick's Hill

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC, Michelin XLs, Bontrager AC Jones

Bike Setup:   1999 Klein Mantra Comp, full LX, XTR rear der and BB, Bontrager bar, Titec stem, Specialized Body Geo seat, lots more.

Submitted by Roellio a Weekend Warrior from Venray

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Very good grip, and very strong,

Weaknesses:    None so fare

Bottom Line:
    I like the tires,very good grip on the road.
    I like to do some triks on the street and they never let me down so far.I olso theak the bike
    in the woods,A little bitt downhill,and muddytracks.
    A friend of mine give me this tires
    But I think they are worth the money.
    Mayby its better to try a other reartire
    if you go to the woods and muddy sand
    The front tire is great

Not for extreem freeriding or downhill

Favorite Trail:   Every trail

Purchased At:   a friend of mine

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey

Bike Setup:   American eagle,Lx setup

Submitted by Stan de Jong from Sandy, Utah

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2001

Strengths:    Front Tire, Great directional control, Good directional control in loose small gravel and sand.
    Rear Tire , havent tired yet, next summer.

Weaknesses:    Havent had long enough to detect any.

Bottom Line:
    Very happy with front tire on the trails I ride in the Wasatch Front Mtns.. Bike came with a Yeti Front tire, which I didnt like at all, very squirely on dry, loose gravel, sand, dirt. The Bontrager ST2 Front tire cured this problem. I used this with the rear Yeti tire and had good results on the trails with rocks, roots, some sand and very dry (We had little rain this year), tire pressure of 45psi. I also tried the Bontrager Super x with poor results on these types of trails, possibly my weight (170) and gave it to my son who has had great results and weighs 95lbs. This fall I switched over to Panaracer Fire XC pro which I have used before and have gone back to for Fall and Spring rides with very good results climbing loose rocks and dry to wet soil. I was impressed enough however, with the ST2 front tire that I purchased the rear to try out next summer. I have rated the tires 4 chilis because I havent ridden the rear tire yet, or tried the front tire in various conditions such as wet rocks or mud. I would suggest this tire to someone wanting a fast rolling directional tire, with more hook up than say a Bontrager ST or Super X for dry terrain, with loose rocks, some gravel, and sand with minimal wash out while turning or going straight at higher speeds in these conditions (which is hard to fine in any tire).I had no flats using these tires over the 3 month period.

Favorite Trail:   Temple Quarry