Bontrager Jones AC Tire

2.51/5 (140 Reviews)
Weight : 590-610 g MSRP : $40.00

Our new ultra fast rolling, treaded tire. Medium tread height, tightly spaced knobs, provide super low rolling resistance in a treaded tire. Sipes on Tread tops provide extra grip on hard wet surfaces. Tread pattern designed for front or rear use.

26" X 2.0" / 47mm casing diameter / 52mm maximum tread width / Also available in 49mm casing diameter w/54mm maximum tread width. 127TPI Blackwall. 590-610-grams.

Submitted by amick1911 a Weekend Warrior from tacoma, wa

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    it came free with my buddy's bike

Weaknesses:    horrible traction

Bottom Line:
I did a very non-aggressive loose turn on dry pavement and almost wiped out; tire gave away with very little warning, I'm so used to running my WTB weirwolfs up front and my kenda stick-e's in the back, this jones ac is a horrible difference. this tire is great if you only want to cruise down a flat sidewalk without too many bumps or turns.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrac

Similar Products Used:   mythos xc, weirwolf wtb, kenda kinetics stick-e, richies

Bike Setup:   stock hardtail $600 wonder

Submitted by jbx tacos a Cross Country Rider from Eagle, Idaho

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Fast rolling, durable

Weaknesses:    heavy, stiff, poor traction on anything off road

Bottom Line:
They are ok for cruising the streets and paved trails but are lacking in traction on any kind of dirt. I took them off my mountain bike and have been using them for cruising and they are very durable and roll fairly fast. Don't buy if you are planning to go off road.

Favorite Trail:   The secret one

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC, Weirwolf, Velociraptor, Kenda Komodo

Bike Setup:   KHS Softtail
Rigid SS 26er

Submitted by frogchokerb a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2009

Strengths:    Buy the tires and a they come with a a Fisher SuperCaliber!

Weaknesses:    Tread comes off, easily punctured, slippery, narrow.

Bottom Line:
The tires are the worst of the bike and easily replaceable. It didn't take me long to realize these are bottom notch tires- a shame considering the bike they came on. Recommend replacing them with nearly anything else...just not a new set of these unless you need something in a pinch. Even then, get these on sale if at all possible.

Favorite Trail:   ELizabeth Furnace

Submitted by sbirdasn a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Strengths:    They came with bike, not super expensive, long wearing.

Weaknesses:    Feel squirmy on descents, in soft sand or gravel. Poor traction even when pressure low. When riding on road, they're quite slippery when pavement is wet. Lots of punctures, even some w/tuffy liners. Rubber at base of knobs crack when tire is folded up, which makes me nervous. However, I've not seen any failures due to this.

Bottom Line:
Should have read the reviews a long time ago, I'd have been enjoying my rides much more. Now using WTB Weirwolf 2.1's, and won't be coming back to these again. I've gone through some three to four sets, probably 16K+ street miles in my commutes that I use as base training for my endurance rides- so they are usable, just nothing to brag about. Do yourself a favor and check some reviews/ask questions. There are better tires out there for any kind of riding you'll do, and the price doesn't have to be higher to be better.

Favorite Trail:   Little Cottonwood Canyon

Purchased At:   Speedgoat, LBS

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf 2.1

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek 6700 Disc - Avid BB cbl; SRAM PG980/Shim LX Der, stock Bontrager crank, WickWerks rings, XT Der., PC991, ATAC Carbons; WTB Weirwolf 2.1 tires, serfas ICS Gel saddle, Sidi D. 4 shoes. Prob. $2K+ (w/ upgrades) ride now.

Submitted by lssyac a Cross Country Rider from rugby

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    you can go cycling if you are careful

Weaknesses:    not really suitable for off road, or road ??

Bottom Line:
borrowed these from the wifes bike when i was skint. tok a quick spin around the block, came back took them off the wheels and went and spent some money!! not really very good, too big, round and nobbly to be of any use. No wonder my wife was hating life, i bought her a set of Richtley. she is happy and now likes to go out.

Favorite Trail:   cotswolds

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   kenda claw

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by wickerman1 a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    Seem durable, strong and dissipate mud well due to the big gaps between knobs

Weaknesses:    not wide enough

Bottom Line:
I have these tires on two bikes. First bike was a Trek 4300 totally upgraded, and now the Coiler.
I put these on to keep the bike a bit lighter and tried to do some extreme xc and light DH with them. Apart from them not being wide enough, these have surprisingly a lot of traction... more then expected after reading others' reviews.
I figure if I can ride Burnaby mtn with them and not slide everywhere, then they will be ok .
Price is also awesome a 18.00 a tire.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python, Maxxis, Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   06 Kona Coiler

Submitted by bob52 a Weekend Warrior from grand forks nd

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2009

Strengths:    they come free with your bike

Weaknesses:    Everything. I used these tires as they came on my Trek 4500. They don't grip well in anything. Hill climbs are something of a joke with these tires, the slip at their earliest convinience. After a while they start to shed their tred. Working at a bike shop the first thing I recommend to a customer is to replace the tires that come stock on most Trek and Gary Fisher bikes.

Bottom Line:
Don't decide against a bike just because it comes stock with these tires. I would recommend replacing them before you hit the trail. If you are looking to replace a current set of tires with these look else where.

Favorite Trail:   maah daah hey

Purchased At:   scheels all sports

Similar Products Used:   Big Earls, panaracer XC fire pros,etc.

Submitted by AngaryJack a Weekend Warrior from Oakland County Michigan

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    poor traction

Bottom Line:
These tires suck. They came stock on my bike. I had trouble keeping these underneath me in a winding single track or off camber turn. I would try to swap them out before I left the bike shop. I would recommend Kenda Nevegals.

Favorite Trail:   Bloomer Park

Purchased At:   stock

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevagal

Bike Setup:   TREK 4900, RS Tora 130, WTB dual duty, Kenda nevegals 2.3, Easton Bars/stem

Submitted by hachaduryan a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2008

Strengths:    Well, I've had these tires for over a year and I have never had a flat. I guess that is a strength for me.

Weaknesses:    Grip does suck, rear wears out kinda quickly, especially if you also commute, they make me nervous on corners.

Bottom Line:
These tires came with the bike and they were not bad at first, but as soon as the tread started wearing down the grip dramatically diminished, I really slow down on corners because I took a couple of spills already. Never had a flat, I am really surprised by the other reviews. Tire is very noisy, suck on mud (doesn't shed a bit!), slippery when used on wet surfaces, slips while climbing on dirt (especially if you hit a wet root or some loose rocks). I am really excited to get my IRC Mythos XC that I already ordered.

Favorite Trail:   Braille, Soquel Demo Forest

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 hardtail, pretty much stock.

Submitted by dorcrycrystal a Downhiller from las vegas , nv

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    The strength of these tires are if you ride them for about 3 months , every other tire you are going to buy will appear to be great

Weaknesses:    everything, no grip, loosey goosey on turns, these tires are what they call stock crap tires

Bottom Line:
these tires are what they put on bikes to keep the price of the bike down another 50 bucks, they are not very good they puncture way to easy no grip, turning is unpredictable. great for a beginner.

Favorite Trail:   the one im on at the time

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   no product similar, but i have used, panaracer fire, wtb velociraptor, maxxis, kenda kinetics

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel , w/toura 311 front forks, rockshox mc 3.3 rear

Submitted by All_Banged_Up a Weekend Warrior from Ringwood, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    Work well when they are not rolling.

Weaknesses:    No traction on rear, front end feels out of control and they love to slide out no matter how low you go on the psi.

Bottom Line:
Pure garbage, I would get more traction and control if I had used my wheels alone without any tires. The stock tires on my 4500 were better than these. The rear slips when climbing and the front end wants to go all over the place. The only time them seem to work well is when the bike isn't rolling. Stay away from these tires. I e-mailed Bontrager about this and they never responded.

Favorite Trail:   Ramapo or Ringwood

Purchased At:   Local LBS

Similar Products Used:   Non- this is my first pair of MTB tires. I'm buying Panaracer Fire XC's.

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek 4500

Submitted by branman a Weekend Warrior from calgary, alberta, canada

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    good grip

Weaknesses:    waresout extremely fast

Bottom Line:
tire suck ass on asphault

Favorite Trail:   canada olympic park

Purchased At:   ridleys cycle

Similar Products Used:   zip

Submitted by Woody a Weekend Warrior from Hagerstown, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance on dry hardpack.

Weaknesses:    Virtually no traction in wet conditions or steep, technical climbs...can be downright dangerous for unskilled riders or if you don't pay attention to the trail and the feel of your bike. Also, they flat really easy.

Bottom Line:
If you live and ride in technical areas that are wet much of the time, avoid this tire like the plague. If you're a XC geek who flies over dry hardpack most of the time, these may work for you.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail in Gambrill or Michaux

Purchased At:   LBS-OEM on Fisher Hi

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Klein Deathgrip, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   Fisher HiFi Pro, close to stock.

Submitted by mudnguts a Weekend Warrior from Reading, UK

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2008

Strengths:    Rolls ok on 100% smooth tarmac

Weaknesses:    Soft, lack of traction on the rear. Unstable front.

Bottom Line:
These tyres are pants. Thanks to all reviewers on this forum - Based on your comments I have no qualms about replacing them after my first and only ride on them.

Rear lost traction on a pretty mundane rocky climb I have done hundreds of times on my ancient 820, then punctured on the downhill.

As for the front - the combination of that and hydraulic disc is deadly ... no control under braking at all ...

Similar Products Used:   Pana Fire, Specialized team control

Bike Setup:   Trek6500 (new from stock)

Submitted by Antonio a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    I could say something funny here. But these tires depress me so much that I can't figure out anything to say.

Wait, they wear fast, that's their only strength

Weaknesses:    Terrible grip in the dry, in the wet they are down right dangerous and in the pavement they make every part of my bike vibrate.

Bottom Line:
The fact that they wear fast is actually a good thing, because even if you're lazy, you'll have to swap these thing for some real tires before you get hurt.

As a front tire these can't hold a line. I have zero trust on these. Curiously I wiped out only once. That's how slow I was riding.

As a rear tire unless I ride it at 25-30 PSI there is next to no grip on the climbs. There is a technical climb I usually do. With these tires I could clear it 1 out of 4 times. With the Motoraptors it's more like 4 out of 5.

In the wet, be afraid. I was never so scared on a bike like on my first wet ride with these. Any root or rock and the foot had to go down.

Take this out and put some decent tires, and you'll see that (i) you skills are much better than you thought (if you're doubting) and (ii) you're bike is way better than you thought. I don't know why Trek insists in fitting this crap on their bikes. Their just spoiling them. Maybe this tire is good on some terrain. I just don't know what that may be.

Bottom of the bottom line: don't buy these tires. It's enough to have to swallow them it new Trek bikes.

Purchased At:   Stock on Trek bike

Similar Products Used:   As bad as this, nothing. Fortunately. Now I ride WTB Motoraptors, but it would be a disservice to WTB to call it similar to these tires.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000

Stupid Mounting Issues - Bonty Jones AC X on 5.1D - Help!

Alrighty - I got myself a new set of the Bontrager Jones AC X tubeless ready tires not to long ago (the 2.35 width) to mount on my DT 5.1D rims - I was getting a new SC Blur LT and asked the shop to mount up the tires for me - He had the DT tubeless conversion kit but told me after many attempts tha ... Read More »

Bontrager Jones AC 29er tire: Boo!

So I made the mistake of letting a hamfisted newb ride my beautiful and perfect 29er Explosif yesterday morning. In just a couple miles, this talentless hack had carved a nice hole in the front wheel's sidewall. The cut was accompanied by a noticeable bulge, so we quickly pulled the tubeless setup a ... Read More »

Jones AC/Jones XR

Alright. So i'm getting a Fisher Piranha and it comes with the Bontrager Jones XR tires. I've read that they suck and get flats easy, etc. I've read the same about the Jones AC's from Bontrager. Is the stuff I read true? If so, I was looking at a set of WTB's. Any recommendations similar to th ... Read More »

Bontrager Jones AC??????

I just picked up a bontrager jones ac rear tire. I have never used these before and just needed a new rear. Are these decent for an all around tire?Read More »