Bontrager FR4 Tire

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The FR4 is Bontrager's freeride tire for rough trails. Wet or dry, its ready to tackle rocks, roots and loose terrain.

Submitted by Kory

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    I've been on these since April. They came stock on my Rumblefish. I like the aggressive knobs and they seem to grip well overall.

Weaknesses:    Not tubeless friendly at all. After awhile, the Stan's oozes out of the sidewall and the tire begins to leak air. Having been a huge fan of Maxxis tires in the past and set many non-tubeless tires up as tubeless I'm very disappointed with these Bontragers.

Bottom Line:
Overall, in terms of rolling resistance, durability and ride quality I'd give these 3 chilis. They're good, not great. The front tire likes to wash out a bit in hard cornering. I do like the aggressive knobs but I wouldn't call them confidence inspiring. Durability is okay. More signs of wear on the back than front, but that's too be expected. I wouldn't call the wear excessive.

My biggest complaint is the rubber compound and sealant issue. Not a bad tire if you want to run tubes but I'd look elsewhere if you're looking for tubeless compatibility.

Submitted by speedsterR

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Turning Grip, Braking Grip, Rolling Resistance

Weaknesses:    Installation

Bottom Line:
Short term review:

Setup: Moderate to install. I set them up tubless. Getting the last bit of final bead to get on the rim took some serious hand strength and manipulation. Not overly difficult, but it reminded me of putting on some DH or road tires. The FR3 had a nice ping when aired up, the FR4 was dead silent when I put it on, so I didn't think it seated correctly, but the bead looked like it was in the right position. I used 2 scoops of stans, aired them up to 50 psi for the night and no leaks the next morning. Aired them down to 25 FR, 27RR and was good to go.

Weight: They are not light, but as all mountain/freeride tires go they are a respectable ~850g for the FR4 and ~800g for the FR3. Bontragers site specs slightly different weights, this is what I measured. Add some stans to that mass and you're right at a normal UST reinforced sidewall aggresive tread tire.

Rolling Resistance: Great. Regardless of the mass these tires have they roll very well and feel fast. I had read the FR3 rolled well, and it does. I have it at 27psi. The center rib aids in that feel and it is a consistent feeling tire in most conditions. I haven't ridden them in the mud yet, however. The FR4 rolled well too, surprisingly. I have it at 25psi and although it has some very aggressive knobs and is a large volume tire it also rolls fast and feels nimble.

Traction. The FR4 has amazing front end traction. Braking and Steering feel improved over my previous High Rollers. I have more confidence going into turns and have a better sense of consistent feeling and control with this tire. The FR3 holds it's line, brakes well and accelerates reasonably. As a combo these tires seem to work well together and can be leaned over with the same feeling received from FR and RR.

Durability: I've only had them on two rides, so I can't comment on that yet.

Bontrager FR4 experience? FR4/FR3 combo?

Any comments/reviews for the Bontrager FR4? It looks like an aggressive high volume tire, average weight, but may roll well? Did a search, just one review and not much detail. I have been thinking about running one of these on the front with an FR3 on the back.Read More »

DR1 Stratos FR4 on Ebay

[CENTER]I'm selling the original Stratos FR4 front shock that DaleRider1 had installed on his Mtn Cycle San Andreas. My stockpile of bicycle memorabilia has gotten a little out of control. Starting bid is a mere 25$ I'm posting this here because I know that there a lot of people that knew ... Read More »

DR1 Stratos FR4 on Ebay