Bontrager FR3 Tire

An all-condition tire for the all-mountain rider that excels through corners while the continuous center rib provides low rolling resistance on climbs.

Submitted by Christopher

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2013

Strengths:    Great Traction
Durable

Weaknesses:    None noted

Bottom Line:
I've put quite a few miles on these. I currently have them on a Trek 4 Series Hardtail. They've seen many different styles of trails. AZ, OK, AR and even some wet and muddy trails in Germany. I have had ZERO problems with traction, whether its around a tight U turn or on a dry flat rock. I'm rocking the 2.3, so it's definitely chunky but that hasn't stopped me. I've ridden these pretty hard too. I've also used this bike on the pavement to roll to work due to my truck being broken and the high gas prices. I'd even have a little fun drifting the back end around a bit. Bottom line. If you're looking for a mid range tire and your budget is low and you want something for all terrain. Go for this tire.

Submitted by Jason a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2012

Strengths:    pavement, tubeless set up

Weaknesses:    every thing else

Bottom Line:
The tire set up tubeless first try and held no problem the whole time I used the tire. It's a great intermediate tire for hard pack and pedaling yourself up the road, But, on Arizona trails that are almost always dry, loose, and fairly chunky; these tires suck. Very unpredictable, especially is loose stuff on hard pack and when the trail is a little wet. I wouldn't recommend for very aggressive riding.

Purchased At:   Trek of Tucson

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Fat Albert (front and rear) and Big Betty, Continental Rubber Queen, Trail king, and Baron 2.3, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35

Bike Setup:   Norco Truax, X-fusion front and rear, Sun-Ringle charger pro's