Bontrager Connection Trail Tire

3.67/5 (18 Reviews)
Weight : 410 grams <br>(1.95) MSRP : $20.00

• The best of both worlds, aggressive knobs and a connected center tread
  • Great traction off road and a smooth, fast ride on road
  • 30 tpi casing

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by turf a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Fastest tire I have ridden that's still acceptable on easy trails

Weaknesses:    Not as good as a slick on the road and not suitable for anything other than beginner trails on a regular basis

Bottom Line:
    I had these on an old DBR with blown forks that I gave away years ago. The bike was recently given back to me and since I now have a couple of decent mountain bikes, I turned the dbr into an errand bike - a rear rack with bag, a big basket up front, rigid forks, platform pedals, a mirror, riser handlebars, etc - everything but a bell and I am thinking about getting one of those.

I ride it around town but there are a few places to go off road including a park that has a pretty decent but short trail in it where I sometimes take one of the other two mountain bikes.

I noticed an odd thing - this jalopy of a bike went much faster than either of the other two, flying down trails with little effort. It did not take me long to figure out it was the tires. True, I do have to get off and push it up a steep rocky rooty section for about 50 feet since the Connection just does not connect that well in difficult steep terrain and especially if it is the least bit damp, but more than makes up for it by going a couple mph faster on the rest of the trail.

I would not use this tire on a trail with any but minimal technical sections, but this is an excellent tire for my purposes of having a tire that is good on the road and is at least much better than a road tire on the trail.

The revelation of how much faster this type of tread was than the knobbies on my other bikes has led me to look into a close tread pattern for one my other bikes - well not this tire of course, but one like the Kenda small block. I am so impressed by how much faster I could go that I am willing to trade some loss of traction for greatly increased speed on the trail. Sounds like a dangerous combination but then I have not had any mtb injuries of note in over a year....

Bike Setup:   First generation DBR setup as an errand bike

Submitted by brian T a Cross Country Rider from Norwich,CT

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    Multi Use Tire,Great roll resitance.Great Price

Weaknesses:    Loose trails,or mud may cause some sliping

Bottom Line:
    I moved from the Trail to Urban assault due to High Gas Prices,They Work on both, Better on the road and Good on the Trail.$20 is a bargain!I would Buy these again.I ride aprox.5 Days a week.Great tire.

Favorite Trail:   Urban Assualt

Purchased At:   Rose City Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Panaracers

Bike Setup:   Kona,XT,Race Face,Thomson,WTB,All Fox Susp.

Submitted by Parker Evans a Weekend Warrior from Hartford, CT, US

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    They were free with the bike. They slide really easily, if that's what you're looking for. Alright on pavement.

Also like someone above, I was surprised by their performance in mud, considering their performance in everything else.

Weaknesses:    cornering, leaves, anything wet, loose rocks (bigger than gravel), unsteady going downhill at speed, feels treacherous on uneven downhills.

Bottom Line:
    Like a reviewer above, a fairly small thorn killed my Bontrangers. Which was alright by me.

If they come on your bike? If you don't notice a performance problem or you're cheap (like I am), keep them until they blow. If you ride trails they will.

If they don't? Don't bother.

Favorite Trail:   Penwood

Similar Products Used:   CST Caballero

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by adrian valella a Weekend Warrior from miami, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    great tire for the price,good on road and off,great grip on dirt

Weaknesses:    not so good in mud but better than i thought

Bottom Line:
    cant ask for a better tire for the price

Favorite Trail:   oleta

Purchased At:   coral way bike shop

Bike Setup:   rigid Fuji single-speed

Submitted by Ryan Wiitala a Weekend Warrior from Morrisville

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    Good road tire and moderate performance on the easier trails.

Weaknesses:    NOT A GOOD TIRE FOR EXTREME TRAIL RIDING!!!

Tread tears off with a little abusive riding but considering what the tire is made for I'm not surprised.

Bottom Line:
    A good tire if you don't plan on riding any advanced trail systems or plan on a lot of road riding. Probably a good tire for most weekend warriors but I wouldn't recommend you like to really shred the rough stuff. I have had these on my bike for less than 1 month and already need to replace.

Favorite Trail:   New Light in Raleigh NC

Purchased At:   Stock Tire

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by keith from quincy

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2005

Strengths:    Low rolling restiance, decent trail tire on dirt, good road tire(not as good as slicks though), not to mention hold up long on the road

Weaknesses:    low traction in mud, snow, ice, wet rocks, and almost anything to do with water

Bottom Line:
    When I bought these tires, I knew I would be getting a trade-off of road and mtb tires, so I can't say it's bad that it didn't have good traction on wet stuff. These ride on the road really nice. I've got about 300 miles on them already with little sign of wear. But this tire if ride the road a lot and don't ride 60 miles down a muddy rocky mountain.

Purchased At:   Madison Davis

Similar Products Used:   stock trek 6500 tires, too many others

Bike Setup:   these tires, trek 6500, avid BB5 discs, Speed Dial Ti levers, shimano M545 pedals, all else stock.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent traction in loose terrain climbs, cheap, durable

Weaknesses:    For the price i paid, there is no weaknesses to complain about

Bottom Line:
    This tire rocks. So cheap, yet good. This tire is rear tire on my commuter and it has way better traction then the tires on my Fuel 98, Bonty Super-X. I blasted these tires down stairs, drops from 2-3 feet to flat concrete. I've taken these out to pretty techincal trails and they have stood up. I can stand up and pedal in sketchy climbs and still have traction. What more can u ask for?

Similar Products Used:   Alot of tires

Bike Setup:   My commuter, 1999 Giant EB Comp

Submitted by Marc a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2005

Strengths:    Fat tire, good traction, decent speed

Weaknesses:    slow on pavement, hold sup guck and mud in muddy trails and loses traction

Bottom Line:
    If you want a decent, all round tire that will perform well in rain, snow, ice, and dry conditions, this is pretty good. It is weak on harder trails and mud will build up in the tires, causing you to lose a significant amount of traction. Bad in sand, but I have yet to find a tire that performs well in sand. Great for the begginer in mountainbiking

Purchased At:   Skiis and Bikes

Bike Setup:   STock Trek 3700

Submitted by Mike Gomez a Weekend Warrior from Norwalk,CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2005

Strengths:    great traction, not too heavy, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    Great tires for the price. They get the job done. Have had no problems with them. However, if average doesn't satisfy you and if you have the cash, you might want to spend more money on better tires. Otherwise, these tires are great

Favorite Trail:   Unal Trail

Bike Setup:   trek 4300

Submitted by L.K. Simons a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    Well, compared to the three year old balding Specialized Rockster tires which came on my Hardrock, in a word, everything. They grip pretty well in all but the loosest gravel trails.

They're also quite inexpensive which is good for 34 year grad students without a lot of cash!

Weaknesses:    My specialized tires were bigger and fatter and looked a lot better on my bike. These look like little girl tires! But I'm quite effeminate and kinda ride my Hardrock like a girl so no worries.

Bottom Line:

The bottom line is that these tires are way better than my balding rocksters and that they make me feel girly when tearing down the Don Valley. My priority for a set of tires was to ensure that they had a really low rolling resistence, since most of my biking takes place on the hardtop of downtown toronto. They've accomplished this; it's a pretty quick tire with the added bonus of providing decent if not great trail traction.

Seacrest out!

Simon.

Favorite Trail:   Gardner Beltway Ravine/Brickyard Trails

Purchased At:   Duke's Cycle, Toronto

Similar Products Used:   stock rockster's. I had no idea how bad they really were.

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Hardrock stock, except for some crappy cheap peddles the bike shop put on it after mine broke during the first week. This was my first foray into biking since a got my first car 16 years ago! Will upgrade to something better in a year or so. The sr suntour xcc ain't so plush, if you know what I mean.

Submitted by Jeff Fleischmann a Weekend Warrior from Nor-Cal

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2005

Strengths:    Great road ride, rolls fast. Good ride off road, for a tire with such small knobs.

Weaknesses:    Not a good choice for really loose or muddy trails.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these tires for my newly converted singlespeed Ritchey in a 1.6 width. I thought it would make a great road tire for the beer runs and light trail riding with my kids. I've hit some muddy trails with them and find the traction better then I expected for such a skinny, small knobbed tire. I would use these if you only plan to run light, dry, smooth trails.

Favorite Trail:   The one with dirt on it.

Purchased At:   The Bike Peddler

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   '85 Ritchey singlespeed

Submitted by Nigel Redding a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2004

Strengths:    not bad grip on surfaces

Weaknesses:    not great on muddy surfaces and wet hills

Bottom Line:
    its not bad but i look for somthing better

Favorite Trail:   biopace {15}

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   bontrager revolt

Bike Setup:   trek 4300 with mx comps

Submitted by Dan Caruso a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Strengths:    good on pavement at high pressure, decent on hardpack (lower the pressure for the dirt, then reinflate for the long pavement ride home).

Weaknesses:    gets loose in loose stuff and steeper inclines.

Bottom Line:
    Good all-around tire. I've since put on some serious dig-in tires but I keep these for the family rides through the neighborhood and fire roads. If I ever wear these out I'd buy another set for easy ridin', but I don't wanna easy ride.

Purchased At:   OEM

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Kansas

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Strengths:    Great for X-Country. Nice on pavement. Cool looking sidewalls.

Weaknesses:    None really for what I do. I just ride gravel trails and a little pavement.

Bottom Line:
    The thing i like about this tire is that it takes to gravel as well as it takes to pavement. I probably will upgrade to something else (based on what i have read only) when the time comes but their is nothing wrong with this tire if you want a good XC tire.

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek 4300

Submitted by Rick Onanian a Cross Country Rider from East Greenwich, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Strengths:    Long life. Good ride on dirt and pavement. 40-65psi reccommended pressure is good range.

Weaknesses:    Not a hardcore muddy hill climber.

Bottom Line:
    These tires are possibly the best knobbies you'll ever ride on pavement (though you should use slicks or inverts).

These tires are very good cross-country tires, except when you need to get up a steep, loose or muddy hill. Then, you'll want something ballsier on the rear. I always ran them at 65psi, so with less pressure, they might get up the hill better.

Nothing flatted through them, no wear was visible after maybe 500 miles on them.

Favorite Trail:   Big River Management Area, West Greenwich, RI

Purchased At:   Came with 1997 GT Outpost

Similar Products Used:   Trek Big Kahuna (gets up any hill, wears out quick), Continental Traction (okay tire), Bontrager Invert 2 (Great road tire)

Bike Setup:   1997 GT Outpost, 7000 series alum frame, Weinman 519 rims

Cave Creek Regional Park Considers Trail Connection to Desert Foothills Land Trust

[I]The Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department is currently considering the addition of a connector trail from Cave Creek Regional Park’s Quartz Trail to the Desert Foothills Land Trust trail system. To establish the level of interest from the community for the connector trail, the Depart ... Read More »

New Trail - Pacheco Canyon to Winsor Connection

There is a great new trail that connects Pacheco Canyon Rd to Griego Hill Trail (HorseShoe Trail) and then continues to the Winsor. On Pacheco Canyon Rd. parking lot after the "Santa Fe National Forest" sign on right of road going up, there is a steepish looking trail on the east (left if you pa ... Read More »

Tire pressure for Bontrager Connection Trail, 26x2.0"; 27 tpi tires

I have a '09 Trek 3900-Disc with the original Bontrager Connection Trail, 26x2.0"; 27 tpi tires. I see that the tires are rated for 40-65psi. I live in Connecticut with lots of roots and rocks on the trails. What tire pressure would you recommend between 40-65psi?Read More »

Connection trail...Sullivan Cyn - Corral Backbone

Moved to California (W. LA) 3 months ago. Since then I been exploring and trying to find a way to ride from my house to the Corral-Kanan Backbone trail. I few wrong turns in the past sent me way off course. Yesterday I finally found it. I was running out of daylight to ride the backbone trail ove ... Read More »

Connection trail...Sullivan Cyn - Corral Backbone