Bontrager Comfort Tire

Weight : 570 grams MSRP : $20.00

Black with or without Kevlar Belt

Submitted by xTippstrox a Weekend Warrior from Oh

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2008

Strengths:    High quality, pretty quiet on pavement, durable for street use.

Weaknesses:    no traction on mud, or other slick surfaces, but why would you want to take this tire off road much anyways?
I had a lot of trouble getting it off the rim, tire levers are a must.
Not super abrasion resistant against glass and other things you'll find on the street

Bottom Line:
People giving this product bad ratings are obviously people who ride to commute or ride road bikes. I ride Street/Urban And these tires have been great. I ride with one in the back, and I've rode with one in the front before too. They've withstood abuse and impact that big gaps and loading docks will give them and given me no problems except a few flat tires.

Favorite Trail:   Street/Urban Riding

Purchased At:   on a bike given to m

Similar Products Used:   WTB

Bike Setup:   Haro Escape 8.1, Marzocchi MZ Comp, Alex Rims, Hayes Brakes, FSA Alpha Drive Cranks, Truvativ bars, WTB seat, Nokian NBX 2.3 front, Bontrager Comfort 1.93 rear, Shimano Shifters, Decore rear derailleur Alivio front derailleur, Shimano Cassette, haro platform pedals, SRAM chain

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Royal Oak, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2007

Strengths:    Better than a knobby. Okay rain control.

Weaknesses:    Many. This is not a great tire, but I got it free, and it works.

Bottom Line:
Put them up to 75-80psi. The sidewall says 65, but that's liability lawyers.

At that pressure, these do a pretty good slick impersonation. I've kept them instead of getting a narrower tire because they would be smaller in diameter, and I need gear ratio.

Get Serfas Drifters instead. they are pound for pound the best 26" road tire on the market. Good for short distance commuting, but buy a road bike instead if you're really hauling.

Favorite Trail:   Tree Farm

Similar Products Used:   Serfas Drifter

Bike Setup:   stock Trek 4100, with drop bars.

Submitted by Drew from Michigan

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2007

Strengths:    Great comfort tire. Seeming low rolling resistance. Extremely quiet tire. Great puncture resistance.

Weaknesses:    May have good grip but makes you feel unattached to the road. Felt like I was riding on air and make me feel uncomfortable at speed.

Bottom Line:
Good tire for a comfort or slow speed riding but at higher speeds it makes one fell disconnected from from the road. Made me feel like I was on air almost and like there was a lack of grip. The bottom line is that these are a comfort tire not meant to be pushed to it's limits by any means. Still giving it 5 chilis though cause for the right person it is a great tire.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Various tires, from WTB, Panaracer, Micheline, Bontrager, and IRC.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin with LX wheelset and full LX drivetrain

Submitted by Keith Snyder a Cross Country Rider from Rego Park, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    Puncture resistant, high-quality

Weaknesses:    Slow and heavy on pavement

Bottom Line:
It's worth noting, if you found these reviews on Google, that this is a MTBR site. The people calling these tires "fast" are mountain bikers who are used to knobbies.

I use this bike to commute 25 miles/day in New York City. I have Hardcases on my other bikes and like them--but on the street, compared to other street tires, these are slow and heavy with high rolling resistance. I'm sorry I let the local bike shop sell them to me while I wasn't thinking; he must have needed to clear out his inventory. If you spend a lot of time on pavement, these tires don't make a lot of sense. I'll be selling them on Craigslist and buying the Satellite Elite Hardcases instead.

If you're used to gravel and hate your knobbies, you'll think these are great. If you're used to pavement and just want to add puncture resistance, get ready to hate your tires.

I'm giving them 5 chilies because FOR THE RIGHT PERSON, they're great, high-quality tires. If you're an urban commuter, you're not the right person.

Purchased At:   35 each

Similar Products Used:   Other Hardcase tires, Continental slicks

Bike Setup:   Dahon Matrix

Submitted by simon a Cross Country Rider from newbury, uk

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2006

Strengths:    Bought these tyres for commuting to work which is a mixture of road and gravel tracks in particular I wanted something that was puncture resistant as flints are a big problem. They are great on the road, period. They're fine on gravel tracks and offer really good puncture resistance when they're new. They also work quite well off road so long as its dry. Cheaper than other alternaitives.

Weaknesses:    These tyres are heavy. They have reinforced side walls to stop pinch punctures but who would run a semi-slick tyre at pressures low enough to get pinch punctures? Another weakness is off road the side knobs aren't that aggressive and traction when turning in to a corner isn't as good as some other tyres. The gravel tracks are a tyre killer and these tyres despite their extra weight last no longer than the Hutchinsons. After about six months the tiny little flints will have cut up the tyres so much that you start get lots of punctures - time to bin them and get a new pair. In this respect these tyres are just as good/bad as any other reinforced semi-slick.
Obviously, tyres such as this are pretty hopeless off-road in the wet, but they're not designed for that.

Bottom Line:
Great grip on road wet or dry (will pull stoppies with ease), fast and no tyre noise. Cheaper than the Hutchinsons, but the extra weight does not translate to longer life on gravel tracks. There's nothing wrong with these tyres but there are better performing ones out there.

Purchased At:   Pedal On, Tadley, UK

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Acrobat.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS. Rock Shox Reba forks, Shimano XT driveline. Two sets of Bontrager race disc lite wheels, one with semi-slicks for commuting, one with knobblies for off road fun.

Submitted by George F a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Strengths:    ** REVIEW FOR THE HARDCASE TIRE ** 26 X 1.5

VERY VERY fast! No rolling resistance at all or "pavement hum". Amazingly good grip on road doing sharp turns. My bud (Dan) wanted to try them out cause he didn’t think they would hook up - he was very impressed. We had the bike riding sideways and doing crazy sharp turns and she stuck to the road! Does well doing light off road to. I ride with confidence knowing I have triple protection. Don't let the name "Comfort" fool you, these tires rock! I LOVE EM and highly recommend these.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
GET THESE TIRES! if you want FAST, LIGHT, and DURRABLE tires! Best tires ever, even than the Bontrager Revolt Super X's. Much much faster, same hook up off road in my opinion. Also has the Triple Protection (Kevlar Durabelt provides a 58% increase in puncture resistance, Anti-pinch design is twice as resistant to pinch flats as a standard tire without this feature; also protects rim from damage.
Bead-to-bead abrasion-resistant woven Exo Casing is 16% more resistant to flats from sidewall cuts). SWEET!

Favorite Trail:   Sunview

Purchased At:   The Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Revolt Super X

Bike Setup:   Marin Novato Triple Butted 7005 Aluminum Edge Tubed Frame, Mavic Crossrides, Bontrager Comfort K Hardcase Tires, Rock Shocks Jett 2, Kore Elite XC Comp Handlebars, Kore lite 3 Stem, Avid Arch Rival V-Brakes, Avid Speed Dial SD 2.0L Brake Levers, TruVativ 5D Crank, WTB Momentum Comp ST Headset, WTB Rocket V Saddle, Sette 7 APX seat post, Shimano XT Derailleurs, Cateye Wireless 7 computer, Profile briefs bar Ends, BLT mini-Doppler Light.

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth ride on pavement, long-wearing

Weaknesses:    Very poor traction off-road on all but dry hardpack, utterly useless on mud or on wet roots or rocks

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Comfort 2.1. It is strictly a comfort tire for ON ROAD use in dry conditions. Even wet grass is too much for this tire.

Purchased At:   came on wife's bike

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC Slick (semislicks)

Bike Setup:   Haro V3

Submitted by George F a Cross Country Rider from Orleans

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    FAST FAST FAST! This tire rolls! (26 X 1.5), It has the triple protection (anti cut, anti puncture & anti pinch) makes the bike look SO much faster, very quiet NO rolling resistance at all. AMAZING! A+++ 5 hot ones.

Weaknesses:    NONE so far.

Bottom Line:
If you want a fast tire, good protection with a piece of mind, comfort & speed get these ones. The side knobs do a good job off rodaing too!

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager revolt super x.

Submitted by Mike t a Weekend Warrior from Tinley Park, IL

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2003

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    No traction on turns or in wet/mud conditions. I was riding on the side of a street during a light rain and was slipping all over. Also, when doing a tight turn, the knobs on the sides are very awkward and seem to cause loss of control.

Bottom Line:
This tire came with my bike stock. If you are a slow "neighborhood" rider, this tire might be ok, but if you ride in street traffic or any kind of "off trail" riding, find something else.

Favorite Trail:   Chicago lakefront

Purchased At:   Richards Bicycles

Bike Setup:   TREK Nav 300

Submitted by Robert Austin a Weekend Warrior from London, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    don't by these!

Weaknesses:    These tires are treacherous on pavement. I learned the hard way. I have been riding for 30+ years and never had this happen before. On bare pavement I made a quick turn but not exceptionally so and the tires just let go dumping me on the pavement. On analyzing the wipe out I noticed how the knobby treads on the sides of the tire are spaced well apart and rather tall and flexible. If you lean in a turn and ride on these nobs, you abruptly lose traction. I have ridden other knobby treaded tires on the street without having this problem. It is the abrupt transition from smooth tread to wobbly nobs that makes these tires unsafe. I cut all the nobs off these tires after the crash.

Bottom Line:
don't buy these unless you like road rash!