Bontrager Big Earl Tire

• Edge knobs
  • Gum-bi compound
  • Condition specific design
  • Lightweight 2.5 version

Submitted by victory65 a Weekend Warrior from wellington, fl.

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    The grip and longevity.

Weaknesses:    None at this time.

Bottom Line:
This tire came with the bike stock and has been awesome! Very good grip in all conditions. I can ride with lower pressure and increase the grip. I am now thinking of switching the fron to the rear due to 2 plus years of hard riding, including pavement! Not one pinch flat! THe only flat I encountered was from the tube stem, and that was one time. I keep a spare tube just in case, but only needed that one time. Two thumbs up for this tire.

Favorite Trail:   markham park

Purchased At:   wheels of wellington

Similar Products Used:   Other Bontrager tires.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Fat Possum XT

Submitted by Xer a Downhiller from Bend, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    Grip, longevity, amazing durability. I ride HARD (big drops, big jumps, rocky trails, fast downhill, you name it) and have not gotten a single flat tire in 2 years of riding. I don't ride much pavement so the tread is still good to go even after 2 years! Grip is fantastic in wet conditions, after all it is classified as a "wet" tire. Dry grip is very good but I don't have a lot to compare with. This tire was a bit too wide for my frame and it actually wore down the frame before the tire wore down, it is that durable. One of the other reviews mentioned a bunch of pinch flats, either he had the wrong size rim or something funky with his setup because this tire has been absolutely unstoppable.

Weaknesses:    Dry grip I suppose, if in very dusty or sandy conditions, but that is only in comparison to the stellar wet grip. I'm stretching to find a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I didn't expect much from a Bontrager tire but I have been thoroughly impressed and will definitely consider getting another set if these ones ever wear out. My front tire still looks almost new! Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Funner

Purchased At:   stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer DH, various BMX tires e.g. Tioga Comp IIIs

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher GED mostly stock

Submitted by Tyler from Vermont

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    good size (compared to other brandname 2.5's), GREAT flat resistance, all-around solid tire for all-mountain use.

Weaknesses:    wears down quickly, but keep it off the pavement and you should be alright. Little pricey, too.

Bottom Line:
Solid tire!
I was reluctant to go with a Bontrager freeride tire when building the bike, but the bike techs at the shop spoke highly of them. I've been riding the same 2.5" tires for well over a year now for just about everything, including the daily commute, and I can't complain. Running these tires at low pressures provides great traction over the stunts and on the corners. And I've only had one flat in two years of riding. Get these tires with downhill tubes and let your pinch-flat worries fly away.
It's come time to buy a new tire (the rear one didn't care much for all the time it had on asphalt), and after doing some research and checking out the competition (make sure to measure the tire before you buy!), I'm going to repeat-offend.
a good all-purpose tire.

Purchased At:   stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis High Rollers, WTB products.

Bike Setup:   all mountain / freeride.

Submitted by bob a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Grip nice

Weaknesses:    Tread had no life

Bottom Line:
Good traction, lacked on longevity.

Purchased At:   came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Just replaced rear tire w/ a Kenda Blue Groove John Tomac Series.

Bike Setup:   King Fisher 1

Submitted by Chad VB a Downhiller from Blacksburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    Sidewall strength... at 210lb i have pinch flatted the rear once. I also made a 1 inch flat spot in the rim from that same incident. I don't know what "rider" was talking about. They seem to grip well in general conditions.

Weaknesses:    Don't shed mud real well, they get caked up fairly quickly and if you aren't flying they won't spit the mud back off. It was only a problem when i was just riding out to the trail through some mud and came to a stop cause the tires were spinning.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good tires, they keep the tube from flatting well (much much much much better than the Kendas). I believe they are fairly expensive to buy by themselves. I probably would try something else if I was buying new tires but could see coming back to these again.

Also... drop the psi a little bit on these tires. probably 3 or 4 psi less than what you think you want. Will save you a crash or two while you get them dialed in.

Favorite Trail:   Virginia Tech

Purchased At:   Stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Kenda Kinetics

Bike Setup:   Trek Session 77, sherman, azonic outlaws, other random goodies

Submitted by Ricky a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    weight,cornering,fast rolling

Weaknesses:    durabilty

Bottom Line:
These tires have surprised me so far they have a good fast rolling patch and corner very well at moderate to high speeds.The only downside is the durabilty the center knobs seem wear down a little faster than I would like.
But for the price and performance you can't go wrong

Favorite Trail:   blue

Similar Products Used:   specialized enduros,irc kujos,wtb weir wolfs

Bike Setup:   Trek session

Submitted by Alex Cheney a Downhiller from Lansing, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2006

Strengths:    All around great tire good for muddy conditions as well as sand. I have the 2.5 and they roll ok on pavement for a DH tire, but all around I like them alot.

Weaknesses:    Well I really havent ridden on too many DH tires so I havent found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I like these tires alot! I will admit I am a lite weight guy so I havent had any problems with flats. However, I rode these tires at the 2006 U.S. open at diablo freeride park in the super wet mudd and crazy rock gardens and they worked great. I have also ridden them in northern michigan in pure sand and they also do very well. Im not really a bontrager fan but I will admit I like the tires and I have herd simmular comments from fellow riders who feel the same towards bontrager.

Favorite Trail:   A-line

Purchased At:   Velocipede peddler

Similar Products Used:   2.35 Specialized tires off P2

Bike Setup:   05 Trek sessions with DT swiss FR2350 wheels, saint RD, E-13 bashguard.

Submitted by Rider a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Pinch Flats! I rode this tire on Porcupine Loop at Moab and I got 5 flats in a 14 mile section. I rode again on a pretty smooth trail with minimal rocks/roots and got 2 pinch flats. I should have known that a tire with such flimsy sidewalls would have been this bad. Bontrager needs to step it up if they are going to market this tire to freeride/downhill riders. Do yourself a favor and feel the sidewall before you buy. I've seen thicker notebook paper.

Bottom Line:
Not a good freeride/downhill tire. MAY be suitable for a lighter rider on a dual suspension on XC trails.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Mojo Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Nothing this flimsy. Now riding Kenda Blue Groove 2.5's. Much stiffer casing/sidewall and just as sticky if not more.

Bike Setup:   Haro Escape 8.2 stock with Juicy 7's.

Submitted by Sho from north van, bc

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    it sticks to anythings. rock faces, roots, steep inclines even with my weight on the front.

Weaknesses:    doesn't roll very fast but i haven't ridden on anything as wide as these 2.7s. the 2.7s are the same width as the WTB TimberWolf 2.5s

Bottom Line:
i ride on the shore. it sticks to everthing. my brakes feel weak its got such good grip. awesome tires bottom line. its pretty cheap. i got mine on sale but i would definitely pay the full price and more. Bontrager may not be a name that first comes to mind for even second, but very very good tires. they did their research. i haven't ridden these to notice how they wear yet

Favorite Trail:   7th secret

Purchased At:   BSP

Similar Products Used:   nokains...

Bike Setup:   05 norco rampage

Submitted by seej a Downhiller from pupukea, hi

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Strengths:    roll fast and sick cornering in the 2.7s

Bottom Line:
Great tires! The stigma was there for me with the bontrager name but if you are a real freerider that loves going fast between the stunts try these. I cant say they are the best, but they are pretty friggen sweet. YESSSSSS

Purchased At:   20

Similar Products Used:   all of em

Bike Setup:   uzzi.66.other stuff that makes a bike roll

Submitted by Fernando Mongiardiono a Downhiller from Esquel,Chubut,Argentina

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Strengths:    Solid laterals, gripy compound, fart for rolling in flat sections, clear mud very well.

Weaknesses:    Wears very fast (oviusly cuz is stiky rubber)

Bottom Line:
This tire is a real bang for the buck, maybe those will not perform as good a maxxis minon supertacky buy is a good sticky tire for a freerider or amateur racer on the budget, also will be a nice training tire for fast riders without a tire sponsor.

Favorite Trail:   fast dh with lots of rocks

Purchased At:   bikehouse

Similar Products Used:   maxxis (too expensive), michelins(just fine), kendas(nice), tioga factory(not bad)

Bike Setup:   giant faith downhill setup

Submitted by Ron from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    Low rolling res. compered to other 2.5 tires, very good cornering & grip on dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    fast wear - took about 6 months of 2-3 weekly rides, 20-30 KM long to wear down.
hard to install on the rim if used as a tubeless tire.
a bit flexy on narrow rims.

Bottom Line:
very good tire, very good value for money.