Home | Reviews | Tire | 45NRTH

45NRTH Hüsker Dü Tire

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 1380g

Hüsker Dü 26x4.0” — the ultimate combination of traction and low rolling resistance for your fatbike. Tightly spaced center blocks achieve lower rolling resistance, and loosely-spaced shoulder knobs give more bite on the sides. Deliberate use of siping creates additional edges for grip on hard-pack surfaces and more compliant tread knobs. Equal tread depth across the 120tpi casing results in a round profile for enhanced tracking and steering performance in a wide variety of riding conditions.

Submitted by singlespeedsycip a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2014

Strengths:    Great traction.
Roll fast.
Setup tubeless well down to 7 psi.
Strong sidewalls (no abrasion)

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
Excellent tire, running Du in the rear and Dillinger up front (both tubeless 120 tpi) on Holy Rolling Daryls. Very happy with this setup.

Similar Products Used:   Surly Endomorph and Nate

Bike Setup:   Salsa Beargrease 1 x 10

Submitted by matt

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2013

Strengths:    everything winter
work well tubeless

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS FOR DILLINGER STUDDED 120 TPI
They will hook up, no matter what. I have several outings on em now and have been very impressed. More importantly comfortable their performance with bad trail conditions. We just had a few days of rain over about 4 inches of packed snow. This then froze and made the trail surface like a bobsled run. A few guys who were packing up when I was heading out yelled out kidding "HOPE YOU HAVE STUDS". I told them I did, so they came over and checked em out. They told me their ride sold them on studded tires, also they should work well. They did. I know they are expensive, but I believe they are worth it. Very high quality tire.

Submitted by joboo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2013

Strengths:    Hook up in all different kinds of conditions!
Weight.
Tread life.

Bottom Line:
I've been rocking my pair of ultra lite Du's since June-July of 2012.
Well over 2,500 miles on them...... From pavement, gravel, wooded single track, mud and snow.
Mid winter and they are just starting to show some wear.
Well worth the price of admission in my book.

These tires blow the Larry/Endo combo I was running out of the water!!
I will never go back to the Larry! Last winter I suffered with the dreaded Larry front slide out no matter the psi I ran.
The Du's are confident inDUsing!! ;)
Enough said!!

Favorite Trail:   Who needs a trail???

Duration Product Used:   Long enough to know

Purchased At:   Bikes On Howard

Similar Products Used:   Larry, Endo

Bike Setup:   It's a Pugsley.
PUG U!! ;)

Submitted by bluestatevirgin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    Big, fast, and nice grip. Pretty light for such a tire. Great trail riding tire.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
Got lucky enough to get this tire at 1150grams. Can't get much lighter for this much tire. Use it mostly as a trail/am tire on a fat-fronted rigid bike. My rim is 50mm. I think it's the perfect trail tire. I love mine. If I were to complain, the tire doesn't clear mud, at the mud on my local trails, as well as I'd like. But that's a quibble. Rolls fast, takes low pressures, and has held up to a clyde's pounding.

Favorite Trail:   bike trails

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Nothing this fat.

Bike Setup:   Fat-fronted rigid Jones.

Submitted by G-reg

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    The "Goldilocks" of fat bike tires. Between Larry and Nate for grip, but roll much easier than either. Maintain a round profile on 80mm rims that prevents goofy Fatbike handling.

Weaknesses:    Is wearing faster than OG Endos or the first gen Larrys, but that goes for all the newer fat tires IMO.

Bottom Line:
I picked up a HD on a whim just to check them out. I have to honestly say I haven't been so satisfied with a cycling related purchase in a long time. They have a ton of grip, but roll reasonably well. A Nate has more ultimate grip, especially in soft or loose conditions. But the HD's roll so much smoother it's worth giving up a bit of grip. I ding'd them a bit on value as they are wearing faster than previous fat tires, but I don't think that's a HD specific thing.

Duration Product Used:   1yr

Similar Products Used:   Larry, Endo, Nate, BFL

Bike Setup:   Pugsley, Rolling Darryl's

Submitted by SmooveP a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Cool name (I like the band)
Maybe slightly better than a 120tpi Larry?
Good lookin'

Weaknesses:    Big bucks!
Designated a 4.0" tire, but smaller than a 3.8" tire

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair based on all the rave reviews and how they're lighter, etc.
I was running a pair of 120 tpi Larry's on my Twenty2 Ti fat bike, and I liked them, but I often get a case of upgrade-itis, so I got a pair to check 'em out. In my opinion, they're not a big improvement over the 120 tpi Larry's but if you want to upgrade from a set of Endo's or 27 tpi Larry's, then they might be a good choice. I ride mostly trails, everything from hardpack to loose sand, and roots and rocks. I understand the weights are all over the map. Mine came in at 1370 and 1360g vs 1420g each for my Larry's.

Handling and traction characteristics are good, but not noticeably better than the Larry. Both tires have similar knob height and spacing, as well as side knob placement. Knob shape and pattern are different, however. The 120 tpi casing has the same nice supple feel as the 120 tpi Larry, especially noticeable at lower pressures. I typically ride at 6-8 psi.

In conclusion, a very good tire, just not a huge change from the Larry. Similar price and a few ounces lighter.

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy North

Purchased At:   Twenty2

Similar Products Used:   27 tpi Larry
120 tpi Larry

Bike Setup:   Twenty2 Ti Bully with Sram X0, White Bros carbon fork, drilled Rolling Darryl rims, etc.

Submitted by utabintarbo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Relatively light weight, very good rolling

Weaknesses:    Price and availability, mostly availability

Bottom Line:
Best all-around fat tire available. Hooks up much better than the Larry or Endo, and rolls better than the Nate. I will occasionally pair this up with a Larry or Endo rear tire, but I will always keep this up front.

Favorite Trail:   Addison Oaks

Purchased At:   Urbane Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Surly Larry, Endo

Bike Setup:   Carver Ti frame, geared

Submitted by rottendan a Cross Country Rider from cape cod

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    weight and roll resistance.

Weaknesses:    not really a weakness but they are 2mm narrower than a larry and 1mm narrower than an endo. thats measuring at the casing under 20psi.

Bottom Line:
great choice for sandy trails and frozen snow pack. I've ridden them in all kinds of sand conditions and they work great, just gotta dial in the psi(as with any tire). not my first choice for wet or heavy snow as they tend to pack a bit due to the tight tread pattern but all around a killer tire to have if you like ridding fat bikes.

Favorite Trail:   the one Im riding

Purchased At:   e-bikestop.com

Similar Products Used:   larry, endomorph, spyder.

Bike Setup:   pugs

Submitted by Shark a Cross Country Rider from Indy, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    - Grip! And lots of it.
- Rolls better than other options currently available.
- Lighter than other "fat" tires.

Weaknesses:    - None so far.

Bottom Line:
If you are reading about these tires, you have probably heard about fat bikes. They have been around a while, but gaining a lot of popularity in the past few years.
These bikes have 4" - 4.7" tires & will "go anywhere". Guys started using them in snow for maximum floatation, but they are also fun on sand, and regular trails.

The Husker Du tire from 45NRTH came out not long ago, and is sure to be a hit.

I used to run the Larry/Endo combo, & while it was OK, Larry wanted to wash out at a certain point, and the Endo is more flat/paddle-like (good for floatation, not great for trails).

Husker Du is lighter than the other fat tire offerings , rolling resistance is much better, and grip is very very good (second only to the Surly Nate). I have had these tires on frozen singletrack, as well as some wet/leafy/swampy/riverbottom type riding, they hook up great. I look forward to getting these out for more riding in the upcoming season & see how they perform long-term.

A bit pricey at $120/each but if you can find a deal & pricematch you are set!

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchilada

Purchased At:   Tree Fort

Similar Products Used:   - Surly Larry.
- Surly Endomorph

Bike Setup:   2011 9:Zero:7 Fatbike - Rolling Darryl rims with Hope Pro hubs. E13 snow cranks. Easton Monkeylite handlebars, Thomson stem.