Wheelsmith Spokes Spoke

4.11/5 (18 Reviews)

Select 1.8 (15 gauge) spokes for more cautious, lighter weight riders interested in buildingThe lightest wheels possible. Wheelsmith spokes do not include nipples 32, 260mm spokes weigh 170 grams Premium, stainless construction by Wheelsmith.

Submitted by axelbaker a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, California

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2011

Strengths:    Never broken a spoke except through abuse. Made in the USA. Cool looking transition at the butt.

Weaknesses:    I can never find the XL14's when I want them.

Bottom Line:
I have used Wheelsmith, DT and Sapim spokes. I probably have built more wheels with Wheelsmith just because I like the look of the butting. Though I honestly can't tell the difference between brands when building a wheel. Even mixed brands on the same wheel.

Really just a good quality US made spokes in just about any style you might need.

Favorite Trail:   Steam Donkey?

Similar Products Used:   DT, Sapim

Bike Setup:   Too many to count.

Submitted by competcyclist1 a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    I built my front wheel with DT and rear with wheelsmith due to the lbs being out of DT for the rear. 2 broken spokes in the rear already? Front (DT spokes)has not needed to be trued all season!

Bottom Line:
Stick with DT spokes! Wheelsmith spokes are junk!

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Bike Setup:   Scalpel Team Full Sram groupo, stans wheels

Submitted by pokz a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2009

Strengths:    XL14's - light weight, nice finish, strong

Weaknesses:    non so far in perfomance

Bottom Line:
xl are compared to dt revs, but with a lower cost and weight. performnce wise the revs and xl are the same, it will really depend on the user. for me its a great buy!

availability are limited unlike the revs

Favorite Trail:   south

Purchased At:   westgate

Bike Setup:   marin ht

Submitted by Charlie from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2008

Strengths:    strong, light, and the black finish looks great and holds up well.

Bottom Line:
After much research I decided to use Wheelsmith black straight 14 gauge spokes. I took my time and laced them right and now I have a wheel set that is as strong as can be. (using 32x3) I can't say enough about the quality of these spokes and there ability to stand up to the abuse given by a 6'6" 250lb rider on a bike with disk brakes!
I run high spoke tensions and found wind-up and stretch not to be a problem as other reviewers have noted.

the bottom line is these are GREAT spokes!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hill Side Park

Similar Products Used:   this is my first wheel build.

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Response, Titec Hellbent bar, stem, and grips, Deore LX hubs, derailleurs and 9 speed cassette, Sram Attack shifters, FSA Alpha crankset w/ bash guard, and Avid bb5 brakes.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    14g spoke (non butted) Very strong,

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
These spokes came built up with my Wolber At-18 rims by Rocky Mountain. The wheels have seen some very strong rides and so far have well over 1000 miles on them. They are laced up to a set of ols DX hubs. The spokes have stood the test of time and are yet to be trued. I would say the combination of a good wheel builder and these spokes are the reason.

Purchased At:   Rocky Mountain Bikes

Similar Products Used:   DT Butted

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Equipe (1992)

Submitted by JmZ a Cross Country Rider from Northern Indiana

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Strengths:    Lighter than DT
Easy to build
Cheap
Not as popular as DT

Weaknesses:    Wind up a bit more than DT
Not as popular as DT

Bottom Line:
I've been building with thes for a few years.

They have been easy to build with, pretty cheap, and lighter than the DT's that they compete with. Locally the DT's are about $1 a spoke for regular double butted spokes, and $.90 for the Wheelsmith's. Online, both are cheaper, closer to $0.50.

No failures that I know of, and they are on various wheels I've built. I've run both the XL's and the DB's all the above holds true.

$16 a wheel for the standard DB and closer to $30 a wheel for the XL's.

Favorite Trail:   Still Looking - Any Suggestions?

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   DT
No namers

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Fanatic - Rebuilt

Submitted by Gabe Padilla a Cross Country Rider from Santa Clara, CA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, shiny, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Heavy as far as spokes go

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Wheelsmith 14g unbutted spokes. I have used these on three separate wheel builds and they have worked well every time. I am a very new wheelbuilder and these were some of my first builds. The fact that they are still holding strong is a testament to their strength given that I am sure the spoke tensions are horrifically uneven. These are great spokes for a cheap durable wheelset. On my next build I'm going to try the Wheelsmith DB14 (2.0mm/1.7mm/2.0mm) double butted spokes.

Favorite Trail:   still looking

Purchased At:   JensonUS

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss Champion (14g)

Bike Setup:   I have used these spokes on several setups: Shimano XT/Mavic F519, Surly/F519, Surly/Rhyno Lites. All builds used brass nipples.

Submitted by Mirek a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2003

Strengths:    Durable

Weaknesses:    Non so far

Bottom Line:
I weight more then 230Ibs. I had my wheels built with mavic 618 rims and Chris King hubs. About 1000 miles of riding and the wheels don't need any truing.
I suppose if you or someone for you built them well you be happy with Wheelsmith spokes.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   DT

Submitted by Peter None a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    they are some good spokes,stiff,an durable.look good.

Weaknesses:    none so far,as functions.but i do think they are a bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
if you want to build some stiff wheels,get yourself some of those good spokes.i just want to mension here,that i was very dissapointed with the niples that i got for those spokes-wheelsmith,again,but they were very soft,didn't fit to my spoke wrench,and the black finish wore of just from lacing and tuning the wheel.that sucked...

Purchased At:   JensonUSA web store

Similar Products Used:   alot of other nameless spokes

Bike Setup:   T 4500 with full XT upgrade and Avid BB mech d.b.

Submitted by LANCE STEPHENSON a Cross Country Rider from SOUTH AFRICA, CAPE TOWN

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    WEIGHT, STRENGHT AND RELIABILITY

Weaknesses:    TO MUCH SPRING IN SPOKE

Bottom Line:
THESE SPOKES ARE SUPER COOL, STRONG AND TAKE A PUNCH. I FOUND THAT THEY HAD TO MUCH SPRING FOR MY LIKING THO, I'M A MECHANIC AND DO BUILD WHEELS(STRIVING TO BE A MASTER OF THIS BLACK ART)AND FIND THAT TO BUILD WITH THEM IS NORMAL AND IT TAKES TIME TO SETTLE THEM IN, BUT WHEN TRUING THEM, ESPESCIALLY ON DRIVE SIDE REAR WHERE THE TENSION IS HIGH THEY STRETCH ALOT AND GO OUT A BIT MUCH. I CHANGED MY CROSSING AND PUT IN SHORTER AND FOUND THIS TO GET BETTER AND MORE RELIABLE. LOVE THE SPOKE. SAPIMS ARE MY SECOND FAVOURITE SPOKE AND WOULD CHOOSE THEM OVER THESE NEXT TIME I BUILT A NEW SET A XC RACE WHEELS, I'D RATHER SUFFER A SLIGHT(MINUTE) WEIGHT DISADVANTAGE THAN GO FOR SUPER LIGHT. I ONLY WEIGH 65KG BUT DO PUT STRESS ON THE WHEELS IN SPRINTING AND BECAUSE OF MY RIDING STYLE(DOWNHILL BACKGROUND) ITS A GREAT SPOKE FOR AN OLDER RIDER WHO WANTS SUPER LIGHT AND DOESN'T DO EVERYTHING BUT NUKE A WHEEL IN RACING. SAPIM IS TOUGHER IN MY OPINION BUT ONLY BECAUSE OF MY INTENDED USE. ITS ABOUT USING THE RIGHT SPOKE FOR THE JOB/INTENDED USE.

Favorite Trail:   GRABOUW

Similar Products Used:   DT,SAPIM

Bike Setup:   GT ZASKAR PRO, SKAREB SUPER, XTR

Submitted by Charles Coker a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Strengths:    they work

Bottom Line:
I was just checking the reviews and came across "spokes"

just a quick plug for Wheelsmith

We have used them on LOTS of wheels, zero problems
their 14/15 is lighter than DTs and hold up very, very well
I am 200lbs and run them on disc brake wheels (32, 3x)

as usual, the build is everything

Charles
Hammerheadbikes

Favorite Trail:   anything with lots of rocks/drops

Purchased At:   hammerheadbikes

Similar Products Used:   DT, etc..

Bike Setup:   Hammerhead 100x

Submitted by Josef a Racer from Milpitas

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Strengths:    I have three wheelsets built by Wheelsmith,built in 1987,89 and 1991 using Specialized Z21,GS26 and B-23 hoops and I've raced and ridden them everyhwere and not once have I've taking them into a shop to have a spoke replaced are have I had a wheel retrued.These wheels have outlasted my bikes.They're a bit oldschool for my new rigs but if they work,why use something else?

Bottom Line:
The wheels and spokes last forever.I'm passing them on to my kids.Uh,forgot about that.Let them get their own!

Favorite Trail:   Grant Ranch,San Jose

Similar Products Used:   DTs on Mavics,Arayas,Suns,Treks.

Bike Setup:   1992 Gary Fisher,XT,Deore/2000 Schwinn Moab M3,Suntour XC Expert and XTR/1992 Specialized Stumpjumper Team,XT/1995 Specialized Rockhopper,Deore,XT/1987 Specialized Stumpjumper Team,Deore XT/1990 Bridgestone MB1,Deore XT/1989 Mongoose IBOC Pro,Deore/Deore XT.1989 Raleigh Technium,Suntour XC Pro/2002 Santa Cruz Superlight,XTR.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    ...ummmm, i guess the colour matches my rims....

Weaknesses:    they are WEAK, two of mine have broken (although they were built by Wellingtons crappiest wheel builders at Penny Farthings)

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these spokes. Don't buy a bike that has these spokes. Don't go into a store that uses these spokes, ever.

Purchased At:   penny farthing cycles

Bike Setup:   giant atx840

Submitted by Nick from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've got about one year of wheelbuilding experience, so I'm still a novice. I've been using DT all along, and just switched to wheelsmith for my most recent build (King ISO/Tioga factory DH). I like how they're sold without nipples, since I have plenty already. The packaging (50 spokes per bag?) is pretty goofy. The wheel hasn't been ridden much yet, but I found building with these to be easier than DT's. Whether it's the material or the black finish Wheelsmith uses, I found that these spokes stuck to each other at the crossings much less than DT's. It made the build a lot less finicky. We'll see how they hold up (the stretching thing in the review below sounds like trouble), but for now, I'm impressed.

Submitted by Marcus Van Kommer a Weekend Warrior from Yakima, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    They don't break too often (that is dependent on the wheel builder though).

Weaknesses:    The materials they use are soft, the spokes don't go through a Philwood machine very well.

Bottom Line:
I have been building wheels for about four years (not as long as some, but I have been told by many that I do a damn good job) I built up a set of wheels for a triple tandem. The front with Philwood 14g spokes and the rear with Wheelsmith DH-14 (tandem and downhill spokes). While waiting for more parts to come in to finish the bike build the front wheel didn't budge while the rear wheel the spoke stretched like crazy. The spokes got all soft and the The rear was fairly close to asymetrical and the rear hub was a shimano with very thick flanges. The bike was not ridden either. I don understand it, because I put just as much time into both wheels. I'll stick with DT and philwood spokes from now on.