Home | Reviews | Spoke | Union

4.31/5 (13 Reviews)

Union Ti Spokes

Submitted by Chin a Cross Country Rider from Beijing, China

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    LIghtweight. Rust Proof.

Weaknesses:    few shops carry this deliciously wonderful item

Bottom Line:
Rock Solid. if it were a watch, it'll be called TIMEX (harharhar). will recommend it for those who use their bikes daily, for riders who care more about their bikes than their car, and for those peeps who simply want the best for their ride.

Purchased At:   Virginia

Similar Products Used:   stainless steel spokes

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Specialized-brand frame. Chris King Hubset and Headset. Syncros Aheadstem, Seatpost, rims, and skewers. Manitou fork

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2005

Strengths:    light weight, good looks, smooth ride, barely ever need to be trued

Weaknesses:    can U say expensive and do they come in black?

Bottom Line:
I have riden these wheels for 7 years myself, hundreds, if not thousands of miles. A buddy owned them for 2 years prior. This set of wheels is over 9 years old and been trued...wait for it... TWICE (and both times only a MINOR trueing was necessary). That's with a combination of XC, small drops, jumps, crashes, commuting and everything in between. I weigh 170lbs and the previous owner was 180 lbs. So these spokes have been EXTREMELY durable. Awesome ride too, noticeably more comfortable than straight gauge spokes when ridden back to back. I can't be happier with this wheelset.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   every other spoke out there

Bike Setup:   wheels have been on a variety of front suspension hardtail racers. This set of wheels built up with Sun CR17A rims, alloy nipples, 32 Union ti-dye spokes, Ringle bubba hubs and V-brakes. -----> 9 YEAR OLD SET OF WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2005

Strengths:    BOMBPROOF!! And I am a phatass too! I have beat the living dogs#$t out of these rims, and can't kill them. Got them on a Kona hardtail that was spec'ed out with full XTR, the wheels are Sun 0% Lites, and White Industries hubs. Got the whole bike at a pawn shop for $500. Took all the good stuff off of the bike and used it on my Y bike i was building. I like the wheels so much that I am having another set built up.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
If you can spring for a good set of wheels, do it. They make sll the difference in the world.

Purchased At:   HAH! A pawn shop!!

Bike Setup:   '99 Y33 All XTR, Marz Superfly.

Submitted by tim gaylord a Cross Country Rider from capitola, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Strengths:    eye candy, smooth ride, doesn't need trueing, light weight without being weak(these are not butted spokes)

Weaknesses:    like a good dog, I will probably not be able to replace them when they die

Bottom Line:
These wheel came standard on an M2 sworks as part of the now defunct hot rod kit a few years ago, and when I saw that bike with these whels, I was hooked. I maxed out a credit card to purchase the bike, realized I was overextended the next day and tried to return it. JAX bikes in Irvine told me where to put the bike, so alas, i won't go there ever again. Whatever, it was my impulse, so I take the blame. I eventually sold the bike, but these are once in a lifetime wheels, so I kept them hidden under my bed and sold the bike with my old wheels.

Whatever, they are laced to White industries hubs with alloys nips and specialized rims. I have never had a problem with the wheels. i ride them hard and fast and I am not shy about jumping. They are really smooth, taking the edges off bumps et all. But the tye die looks really really good, the hubs have never been rebuilt, and they have never been trued! They were built by wheelsmith, but still. Four years without trueing, not bad.

I would recommend them to anyone, especially in the xc scene. They offer a wonderful feel, light wheels, and sweet looks. I don't see any weaknesses. They are maybe not as "crisp" ? as a set of ss spokes, but who cares. You can choose the hubs, rim etc, and custom is always nice.

Viva Union

Favorite Trail:   cuyamuca

Purchased At:   got fuct at JAX

Similar Products Used:   regular wheels

Bike Setup:   presently, an obed with some nice swag

Submitted by Mark R. Pigott a Racer from Sarnia, Ontario

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Strengths:
much lighter than steel

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Compared to steel, these spokes rock!
Since I run a hardtail with ZERO Suspension,
I have found that Ti spokes on the back, paired with a Titanium seatpost, and Selle San Marcos
Integra Saddle, really take the bumps out.
The intrinsic value of titanium is definitely
worth the steep price...but does beauty have
a price tag????!!!

streets and cars!!!

6 months

1991 Marin Nail Trail
Hardtail
Rigid

Submitted by Bob Greer a Cross-Country Rider from Castro Valley Ca.

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Strengths:
pretty stong when I ride alot

Weaknesses:
have not been riding lately

Bottom Line:
Great spokes, broke a couple but with pretty hard hits.Otherwise the wieght savings and the performance are outstanding not to mention the great looks.

Downtown trail Mammoth

more than 3 years

M2 Stumpjumper

Submitted by Brody a Racer from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I think that anybody that gave these a bad review either doesn't have them or is lying. I have a front wheel built with these, a Mavic 517 ceramic rim, red alloy nipples and a XTR hub. It's light as hell and it looks awsome!!!

1 Year

Submitted by Capn Dupa a cross-country rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

All I have to say is anybody that breaks a wheel full of these spokes on the first pedal stroke is either a complete fat a** or a liar. I broke a few spokes in my day but not these beauties. they are light as a feather and the tie-dye ones look terrific. Oh, and um, it helps if their installed by a competant wheel builder. Five smokin' chilies.

Submitted by John Miller a cross-country rider from Tortola

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was very disappointed when on only a few rides I could hear my hard earner dollars snapping away on even paved climbs. For a front wheel they have been OK. The rear wheel is now relaced with Wheelsmith butted stainless spokes and I am once again riding not fixing wheels. If zero peppers were a choice, it would get zero. Save your money.... they flex too much too!!!

Submitted by mark nichols a weekend warrior from mt. diablo, ca

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

these ti spokes work great. myself, freinds and family members use them for our cross country bikes and we love'em. only 4grams each so we often will use 36 hole rims/hubs and a 4 cross pattern which improves shear strength. they excellerate quickly and don't break. i don't believe any postings here that are not positive.

Submitted by King Krank a weekend warrior from the Cove

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

These spokes are no better than a steaming pile of CRAP. They all broke on the first pedal stroke.CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAPThese spokes are no better than a steaming pile of CRAP. They all broke on the first pedal stroke.CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP

Submitted by Chris a cross-country rider from Windsor, Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had a rear wheel built up with these spokes for three years now. I have gone through two rims that have had been wrecked from hitting things too hard, but the wheel has never gone out of true. Toritse shell cracks in asphalt pavement dissappeared after I switched to these spokes. Light, comfortable, and bombproof.

Submitted by ed a cross-country rider from lynn woods

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have hade a set of wheels with these spokes on them for about a year now, and I bought them used about a year . I ride in very technical rock terrane they have not failed me yet . I ajust them once in a while and they work perfect.

ti spokes

Were can i buy ti spokes? Any body know of some good shops. ThanksRead More »

Ti Spokes

I'm looking for shops that sell ti spokes. Please some links Many ThanksRead More »

Version C Ti spokes wheelset

I am looking to build a reasonably strong but mainly light wheelset for a singlespeed Lynskey ridgeline. Anyone know who makes these wheels in this sweet build. [url]http://www.forum.light-bikes.de/showthread.php?t=7040[/url] Suggestions for a 158 pound guy? I am pretty easy on things. I will use ... Read More »

Ti spokes on the new wheel, or just the good ol' stainless steel?

My LBS also showed me some Ti spokes that would save about 100+ grams off the wheel for a mere $60 more on a custom rear wheel with a king hub and mavic 819 rim. I was alway unsure about Ti on the spokes because of flex. The LBS said that since custom wheel spokes are tensioned rather high, its no ... Read More »

Marwi Ti or CX Ray Spokes?

I've read that the Marwi's will save almost an ounce over the CX rays, albeit for more $... Besides the bling factor (if there is such, as SS is shiny and flashy), are there any advantages of using Ti spokes for mostly XC riding and no jumps, etc.? Thanks! :thumbsup:Read More »