Home | Reviews | Spoke | Sapim

Sapim CX Ray Spoke

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

-No more extra hub filing; the hub manufacturer's guarantee is unaffected.
-Almost as light as Titanium.
-Stronger than all the spokes, currently on the market.
-Unbelievably high fatigue test results
-Special alloy treatment and sophisticated production.
-The best aerodynamic spoke now available.
-Produced from high-tensile, fatigue-resistant 18/8 stainless steel conforming to the SAPIM quality standard specifications.
-Packed per 20 pcs. in luxury bags including high-resistant light alloy 14G/2mm Polyax nipples, length 14mm, silver polish finish.
-Available from 182 mm to 310 mm in even lengths.

$2.00 each in silver, $2.25 each in black, $2.50 each with nipples

Submitted by Charles Bout a Cross Country Rider from Holland

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, Light, Looks

Weaknesses:    Expensive, not readily available

Bottom Line:
These are good spokes. Used them for a year now and no problems with the spokes themselves, they are holding up just fine. The question is, are they worth the extra cash?
If weight is an issue for you, probably. If you want looks, probably. If you want durability, probably not.
Another problem is that most LBS don't stock them. Average waiting period over here is 3 months! And at one time (and the last time) i had to wait over 9 (yes, NINE) months for them. Was that worth the waiting? Maybe, if the wheel was properly built. But it wasn't. And nomatter how good the spokes, if the wheel ain't built right... well, you'll guess. And to add insult to injury, this particular LBS (Snel Tweewielers) gave me a really nasty attitude when i complained AND even tried to rip me off for $200!
So, if you decide to buy these spokes, don't make the same mistake as i did. Buy them from a good LBS that doesn't treat it's well paying customers like sh#*t and rips them off on a regular basis. Please.

Purchased At:   Snel Tweewielers, Utrecht

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Very light, very strong and very trick!

Weaknesses:    expensive...but you get what you pay for. Most LBS's have never heard of them so keep a few extra

Bottom Line:
Even though my Aeroheat rims aren't the lightest but these spokes make up for the weight. The overall package the Lyle put together is perfectly suited for me. My wheels have never had to be trued and I'm 6'4 and 210lbs. I don't feel flex or have to think about my wheels failing anymore!

Purchased At:   spinlitecycling.com

Similar Products Used:   dt swiss, wheelsmith

Bike Setup:   5" Titus SB with Hadley hubs and Velocity Aeroheat rims

Submitted by luis toro a Cross Country Rider from gran canaria

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2006

Strengths:    light weigth , its amazing , increible .and still really strong. My last spokes was dt 2.0 , and sapin feel more stiff with the same hubs and rims .

Weaknesses:    dificult to find.

Bottom Line:
Are you thinking in buy a pre-fabrics wheel , dont do .
Just take a good hubs , this excellets spokes and a nice rim , and you have a wheel that pleople ask about it.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   startbike.com

Similar Products Used:   dt,wheelsmith

Bike Setup:   specialized 05 ht s/works full XTR , carbon items etc etc

Submitted by Tommy a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola, FL

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2005

Strengths:    super strong, light, looks awesome

Weaknesses:    Not stocked at LBS, somewhat expensive

Bottom Line:
I just cant say enough about the CX-Ray's and would highly recommend them to any XC rider. As everyone else has mentioned, these spokes do exactly what you want spokes to do; yet, they are really light. The only downfall is that they arent available at most LBS but you can always order a few extra when you build your wheelset for spares. Some would also argue the price is too steep but I personally think the pros well out weigh the cost.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   redbarnbicycles.com

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade, wheelset buildup: Chris King ISO hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Stans Olympic rims

Submitted by Pat T.® a Weekend Warrior from WA State

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Strengths:    Very strong, very stiff, very cool looking

Weaknesses:    Not at my LBS, they had to get them from Thor which was no prblem once they figured out he does have a phone.

Bottom Line:
This is probably the best wheel I have ever ridden on, and being a 235lb rider I can flex a wheel. It does not move side to side, and I have not had to true it yet. I got these from Thor because he sold them at a very fair price. Now I am glad I did buy them, and they will be going on my next wheel set. They do cost a bit more but I highly think they are worth it. These would be good for all types of riders IMHO.

Purchased At:   www.thorusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Never used a bladed spoke before

Bike Setup:   Rocky Pipeline, JR T fork, Magura GustavM discs, Magura Pro hubs, Mavic D521 rims, IRC Kujo tires, SRAM drive train and shifters.

Submitted by shiggy a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Strengths:    Lightness, strength, builds a stiff wheel, looks cool

Weaknesses:    Cost. Not stocked by LBSs

Bottom Line:
I am an agressive trail/XC rider with 19 years of mtb riding behind me. Not a big drop/big air guy but I do ride trials type trails. ~175 pounds/6'1".

Best spokes I have ever used. The wheels are much stiffer latterally than wheels with the 15/16db or even the straight 15g spokes I used before.

The build was easy after I got one of the spoke keys from ThorUSA to hold the bladed section while tightening the nipple.

My wheels have not required any retruing in the year I have been riding them. The rear does need a bit of attention after the incident below:

shiggy©®™ Feb-06-03, 01:33 AM
"Yes, Sapim CX-Ray spokes are strong!"
On tonight's ride I swung to the left into the salal to pass another rider. I could not see the small downed tree with its top pointing straight at me.
The 3-inch diameter pole grazed my left ankle (ripping a huge hole in my sock), when between my leg and the seat tube, into the rear wheel, missed the left side spokes and jammed hard into the right side spokes just above the outer cross.

I was then thrown back to the right on top of the rider I tried to pass. Neither one of us was hurt, thankfully.

The blades spokes cut into the end of the pole 2-3" deep. Took a good tug to remove the bike from the pole (The pole was 20' long. much easier to pull on the bike). And I had to untangle the pedal of the other bike from the wheel, too.

Damage to spokes: None. No bends, no kinks, no nicks.

Damage to wheel: It is 2-3mm out of true and perfectly ridable.

I doubt many spokes, let alone ultra light ones, could have survived the impact.

Purchased At:   ThorUSA

Similar Products Used:   DT 15/16 DB

Bike Setup:   Custom Matt Chester Ti singlespeed. X Fly 100 fork, Profile Racing cranks, WTB dropbars w/ Dia Compe 287V levers, Avid disc brakes, Velocity VXC rims, American Classic disc/Paul WORD Disc hubs

Submitted by Mike T. a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    Extreme lightness for a steel spoke. Quality. Able to "see" windup.

Weaknesses:    The cost - but this is a small portion of a top quality bike.

Bottom Line:
Here we have the world's best spoke. They are really close to that weigh of the lightest available spokes AND they are used by Nico the world DH champ. What does this say about their strength? Oh yeah, Lance uses them too.

This is an aero spoke that fits through normal hub spoke holes without any filing (that would ruin your hub warranty really fast).

Because of the finest materials and heat treatment Sapim are able to give you almost everything - light weight and strength. But the old saying of "Light, strong, cheap - pick any two" was never more true. If you want light AND strong you're going to have to pay for it. But you knew that didn't you?

Here is a paradox - these spokes are the hardest to build with and also the easiest. How so? Because of their lightness and small cross-sectional area (about the same area as a 1.5mm Revo) they twist like crazy when building BUT because of the bladed cross-section it's dead easy to see the twist and remove it. ThorUSA or any Sapim dealer can supply you with the special simple tool to hold the spoke to prevent it twisting. Or if the spoke does twist just use the tool to remove it.

This is a quality spoke and it shows in building and in use. I've been using them for just a year and I've yet to put a wrench to them since the day I built the wheels. Just make sure you tension, equalize and stress relieve perfectly - they, and your investment, deserve it.

It was a tough decision to award 5 Flamin' Chilis for "Value" as they are quite expensive. But then I weighed this cost against the rest of my bike and went with another old saying - "Value lives on long after price is forgotten".

Purchased At:   www.ThorUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   DT Comps. Wheelsmith.

Bike Setup:   Seven Sola. Formula B4SL brakes. Pace RC31 rigid carbon fork. Moots post & stem. Gigantex carbon cranks. Thunderwerks carbon bar ends.

Are Sapim CX-Ray spokes worth it over DT Comp/Revolutions? For a Carbon XC Wheelset

I'm putting together a pretty light and very stiff XC race wheelset with Hope Pro II hubs and Light Bicycle 27mm hookless carbon 29er rims. I want it to be a race worth weight, under 1600 grams, but also very stiff. I have built wheels with both Comps and Revolutions before, and wasn't disappointed ... Read More »

26" 32h wheelbuild - DT190's + Super CX-Ray + Crest

ciao/hallo/greets/hola/howdy/hello just thought i'd document my current wheel build incase any info/spec is handy to any weight fiends here. Spec: Hubs: (circa 2010) DT Swiss 190 Ceramic CL hubs 32h (sans stickers) Spokes: Sapim Super CX-Ray black + Sapim Polyax nipples Rims: Stan's NoTube ... Read More »

Spam: Fat Singlespeed Wheel. Chris King SS Rear Wheel, Marge Light, Sapim CX-Ray

I have a Singlespeed rear wheel for sale, offset. It is a black Chris King SS hub laced with black Sapim CX-Ray spokes, with a Large Marge Light rim. I have it all taped up for tubeless use. The wheel is $500 and if you want me to leave the tire on ( Surly Larry with Ultra Light Casing), all set up ... Read More »

Spam: Chris King SS Rear Wheel, Marge Light, Sapim CX-Ray

New ad, new spam. I have a Singlespeed rear wheel for sale, offset. It is a black Chris King SS hub laced with black Sapim CX-Ray spokes, with a Large Marge Light rim. I have it all taped up for tubeless use. The wheel is $500 and if you want me to leave the tire on ( Surly Larry with Ultra Light ... Read More »

Spam: Chris King Singlespeed Rear Wheel laced w/ Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Marge Light rim

I have a Singlespeed rear wheel for sale, offset. It is a black Chris King SS hub laced with black Sapim CX-Ray spokes, with a Large Marge Light rim. I have it all taped up for tubeless use. The wheel is $500 and if you want me to leave the tire on, all set up tubeless and ready to roll I will sell ... Read More »