Innovation Kevlar emergency spoke Spoke

Innovations Kevlar emergency spoke

Submitted by Nick a Racer from Calgary, Ab

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to install
Works!

Weaknesses:
Dammit now I don't have an excuse to get a new wheel!

Bottom Line:
This product really works! Although I didn't break my spoke on the trail I used it when I found my spoke broken at home because I didn't have a spare and needed my bike for commuting the next day. Last time I broke a spoke I was *&$%ed and had to ride my bike with no brake pads on the rear it was so wobbly... this time when the spoke that was weakened by me breaking my last spoke broke I fixed it and since I've ridden close to 75 km on it no problem and the wheel has stayed true! I would trust a wheel built only out of these spokes without a problem!

less than 1 month

An unbroken spoke?

Mavic 517, straight gauge spoke laced to Coda hubs

Submitted by Jim Dietrick a cross-country rider from Novato, CA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Works exactly as advertised. I was truly amazed, I broke a drive side rear spoke with a 4 mile single track descent in front of me. If it had not been for a stubborn spoke end in the hub, this would have had me back in business in about 3 minutes, in the cold rain no less. It was easier and faster than fixing a flat. Anyway, I finished the descent, and rode it aggresively, the wheel was still in true when I reached the bottom. 10 Chilis!!!!

Submitted by Per Vollset a weekend warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: January 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I like them so much, that I've actualy built an entire front wheel just using them.
OK I don't have any plans to use this wheel for MTB'ing, but I use it on my city bike. And I've used it for about 200 Km (I weigh 230 lbs). So when hold this long on an entire wheel, it has to bee a good product.
According to Innovations this is probably the only wheel off its kind.

Submitted by Alexander Herrmann a cross-country rider from Berlin, Germany

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

way too cool for this planet earth! I replaced a broken spoke and rode for 10 days with this kevlar-stuff over the Alps from Germany to Italy. The wheel is still A1.

Submitted by Pete LaVerghetta from Philadelphia, PA USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

Kevlar spoke is the best invention since sliced bread! My girl and I ride a 26 wheel tandem and this thing is a life-saver. My bike has a drum brake on one side and a casette on the other, so a broken spoke used to mean a long walk. With the Kevlar spoke I'm back in business in minutes. We rode 65 miles with it, and when we got the wheel back to a shop the mechanic was amazed. Buy one, it is the best five dollar accesoory you can get.

Submitted by Robert Berta a cross-country rider from SF.CA.USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1996

Bottom Line:

Got one of these emergency spoke replacement kits for my bike. It is a length of kevlar, a neat device that threads into your existing spoke nipple and instructions. The best part of this device is that it doesn't require you to remove your freewheel if you break your spoke on that side....which is usually the side that does break. I tried it on an extra wheel I had and it works just fine! The other neat part is that you don't have to have the exact length of spoke that is already on the wheel. This makes it a neat kit to carry from bike to bike. Only costs $5 too so it is a bargain. Very clever product that works exactly as advertised...and saves you a long walk home.