DT Swiss DT Titanium MMC Spoke

• MSRP for per spoke with nipple = $3.44

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by elousatu a Racer from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    Lightness

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
    I like the idea of Ti spokes, but in practice I'm not sure if they're really worth the expense. I prefer steel DB spokes for the strength combined with TWT Ti nipples to save weight (while preserving strength). Titanium seems much better suited to nipples than spokes.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   titanium nipples from Titan Wheel Technologies

Bike Setup:   King hub with TWT Ti nipples

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    Reduced weight in the wheels is really noticable! gold ano looks different

Weaknesses:    From what I understand, DT no longer makes these (replacement issue?)

Bottom Line:
    I picked these up on e-bay since very few people were bidding on them, ended up only costing $54! I figured for that price it was worth experimenting.

I had them built up 2 years ago and have had them trued 3 times since then. I was initially worried after hearing from so many that Titanium spokes are "too flexy" "break real easy" "can't be used with discs" etc. So far, I have broken one spoke, a year after they were built (broke at the hub flange). I had a few spares so I replaced it and have not had any problems since. I weigh about 190lbs. and generally don't hit any jumps bigger than 3-4", I do, however, ride in extremely rocky areas that tend to destroy tires & rims, so I'm just as surprised that they have held up just as well as SS spokes.

I do not notice that they flex more than stainless steel, nor do I notice that they absorb small bumps. I do notice that they seem to roll with less resistance, and others who generally regard my bike as a P.O.S. notice it and comment on it as well.

After 2 years I have reallized that all the people (locally and on MTBR) that "warned" me about Titanium Spokes, probably have never had them or used them. Well I have, and recommend them to anyone that can afford them!

Favorite Trail:   Fell Mountain

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   DT 14 ga. black spokes

Bike Setup:   K2 Evo, Spokes are laced to Hope Bulb Hubs (20mm thru-axle on front) and Sun DS1-XC rims, Tioga 2.3's, XT discs, Marzocchi Z1, 5" travel front & rear

Submitted by Mark Flanagan a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood CO

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Cost, Durability

Bottom Line:
    These spokes can be sweet but after years of use I can say that they do have a tendency to break. I recently replaced four of them because of hairline cracks forming at the elbows. Keep in mind that I'm using them with disc brakes and that might be too much to ask Ti spokes to handle. Anyway $4.00 is alot clams for a spoke. Anymore trouble and I will most likly return to the DT stainless DB spokes. The Revolution 2.0 1.5 for example are only slighly heaver.

Purchased At:   Mailorder

Similar Products Used:   DT double butted

Bike Setup:   Long travel trailbike. Disc brakes King/Mavic

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Elkhart In

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    Light, durable

Weaknesses:    Bonds with Al?
    Higher Tension
    Cost

Bottom Line:
    I've got these holding together a set of Nuke Proof (32H) hubs and Bontrager rims that I use for XC riding. On the front nary a complaint. Perfect. The rear have had to be trued once in the 9+ months I've owned them.

I don't notice much, if any, difference between these and the steel spokes that I used to, and still ride.

Pretty darn good considering I'm borderline clyde. (200 lbs +) They aren't cheap, they aren't for people who trash wheels. Like most other things just gotta know your style and what you're getting when you buy. They've worked as advertised.

JmZ