DT Swiss DT Revolution Spoke

4.51/5 (57 Reviews)

DT Swiss Revolution 14/17 Gauge Spokes

Submitted by meltingfeather a Racer from austin, texas, usa

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    Weight
Perfomance
Cost Benefit

Weaknesses:    Need a little more attention and time to build.

Bottom Line:
The best weight/performance spoke selection for many applications.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   Comps, S.Comps, Aerolites, Wheelsmith DB

Bike Setup:   XC race/fun

Submitted by rogerzilla a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    A bit lighter than the usual 2.0/1.8/2.0 DT Competition spokes. Consistent length and high quality. Make a slightly different-looking wheel. No problems with reliability.

Weaknesses:    Massive twist due to the thin middle section makes them slow to build with. Becoming ridiculously expensive.

Bottom Line:
Cost-benefit isn't really there. If you have the patience and want the utlimate hand-built wheel though, they're there.

Purchased At:   SJS Cycles

Similar Products Used:   DT Competition, Sapim Race

Bike Setup:   Mostly road riding, a lot of fixed gear stuff.

Submitted by Schmurtz a Weekend Warrior from Srbija

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Strengths:    -light
-stong

Weaknesses:    -they twist quite a lot during the building proces

Bottom Line:
my wheels are 3cross laced with 32 spokes per wheel
im' a 186lbs jump monkey, frequently bottoming out rev426u-turn/air at 150psi, frequently going down rocky contry roads 30-35mph, i'm braking hard climbing hard, you get the picture... and these things are are doing great, so far! my friend laced up these wheels two weeks ago and since then they've been trough about 80 miles of pure up and downhill abuse, and stayed dead centered, never retrued. these wheels are no flexier than my previous wheelset (32pw 3cross dt competitions). i just hope revolutions are as durable as competitions...
PROPPER and, more important, EQUAL TENSION is the key with these spokes. get a skilled wheelbuilder to do the job and and you're ready for some serious trailhunting!
i wanted to give them four chilis because they haven't passed endurance test yet, but, . . .
there's this purple-black box and eight spare spare spokes in it, begging me to give them five,...
i just cracked under pressure...

Similar Products Used:   dt alpine, dt competition

Bike Setup:   simplon gizzmo, rs revelation426, juicy five 203/185 american classic's, mavic's xm317disc, alloy nipples

Submitted by JoeFish357 a Cross Country Rider from Kirkbymoorside, Yorkshire, England

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    These babies are light and stand up to masses of abuse :)

Weaknesses:    Price is the only issue with these babies, and they are a bit more difficult to build with... If you're scrimping a few quid on the most important component in your wheel you're a divvie.

Bottom Line:
Firstly, these are NOT strong. They are RESILIENT.
They've been designed to resist the particular stresses found in bike wheels. Because they are thinner, well-made and well-designed, they avoid the severe shock loadings that shear lesser spokes. I use them because they are light and have never had a problem. The 230lb gorilla that owns my LBS uses them on his downhill bike (!!) because every other spoke used snaps and these don't. They're not the stiffest but they just come back for more and more and more and......
You're mad if you're not after an aero blade spoke and you don't use these in your wheels! 10 chilies, no hesitation.

Favorite Trail:   Black Hambleton Circuit

Purchased At:   Price per spoke, Ful

Similar Products Used:   DT butted, DT straight guage, No name spokes in factory wheels

Bike Setup:   Varies from road bikes to CX, ridden on tough, rocky trails (ouch!) to hardtail trail bike.

Submitted by The Psycho a Racer from Barcelona, Spain

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Strengths:    Thin but strong, stiffness, price.

Weaknesses:    Durability.

Bottom Line:
After 1-2 year of intensive use, this spokes comes to softer. Great spokes for a 1,10 eur/unit.

Favorite Trail:   Vallnord CCI / WCup circuit

Purchased At:   starbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Competition, champion

Bike Setup:   Giant Composite. With several XTR components.

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, weight

Bottom Line:
Crazy Guy's remark is so ironic. It's funny he found the time to post a remark about these spokes while making fun of people who comment on them. Anyways these are great spokes so buy them already! Crazy Guy, go ride an ATV and go away.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   DT Competition

Bike Setup:   Flows w/ LX hubs

Submitted by Yocal420 a Cross Country Rider from NorCal

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Strengths:    Outstanding product, cheap, easy way to drop weight.

Bottom Line:
What is up with the idiot from Missouri? Probably has a rusty chain 'cause he hasn't taken his bike in for its yearly tune up. This is a great way to upgrade a wheelset. I regularly would break 15g spokes then built up a set with the the 14/17g and have put over 5000 miles on them without breaking 1. Saving a couple hundred grams of rotational weight is equivalent to taking pounds off your bike or your gut. It's easily worth the extra $10-20 over conventional spokes if building a new wheelset. These are the way to go for xc and trailriders.

Favorite Trail:   TRT

Similar Products Used:   DT and wheelsmith

Submitted by Andro Galero a Weekend Warrior from Butuan City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2005

Strengths:    -lighter than my generic stainless steel spokes

Weaknesses:    -none

Bottom Line:
I weigh 145 lbs. and ride 8-12 hours a week on cross country trails around my home. I has these installed by a competent wheel builder from mu LBS and i never had to true them since. They are lighter by 252 grams than my previous spokes and brass nipples. If you want to make your bike lighter and faster, start with lighter tires, tubes, rims and DT Revolution spokes.

Favorite Trail:   Malalag Trail

Similar Products Used:   generic stainless steel spokes

Bike Setup:   Tank Lights hubs, Mavic X517 rims, Specialized Roll-X Pro 2.0 tires and Continental Supersonic tubes.

Submitted by Karl from UK

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight.

Bottom Line:
Great spokes. These were chosen to build a real light wheel, expecting it to last 1 season of racing, but 2 years down the line they're still going strong.
However, I only do XC and weigh 160lb which is presumably what these were designed for.

Built the wheel (mavic 517 to Hugi 240s) and added copper grease to the alloy nipples (incl. rear drive side at 1 cross). I think these spokes are prone to twisting however, and if the twist is not taken out, this could weaken the spoke in the long run.
So 2 tips for taken out twist:
1. For every spoke I applied a quick 1/4 turn unwind to take out any twisting during tightening.
2. Applied copper grease to both spoke thread and nipple seat that contacts rim (so reducing friction to eradicate twisting... which might also lead to increased loosening but hasn't happened in this case providing they're under quite some tension).

After the next two trips I trued them a bit more, and had absolutely no problem since then (and the alloy nipps haven't siezed to the rim either).
Great spokes, just build with a little care.

Submitted by axel from yakima

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    hold wheel tension,dont snap at ends like straight guage

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
I have used them on an XT disk and rhino lite wheel set and this wheel has been from my crosscountry bike to my dirt jumper to my 200lbs friend dirt jumper to several other cross country bikes and the spokes still hold thieer tension and the wheel still is very true. dont know if its beacause my wheelbuilder rulles or if it is this spokes and components but it must be a combination and that these spokes just plain rule.

Favorite Trail:   skyline

Purchased At:   sagebrushcycles

Similar Products Used:   all others made by dt

Bike Setup:   several bikes

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Strengths:    weight, strength

Bottom Line:
Best spokes ever for rim-brake wheels. I had mine built by the guys who own www.wrenchscience.com and I couldn't be happier. I do straight-up cross-country riding, range from 185 in the summer to 210 in the winter, and have yet to have a problem after 3+ years. Highly recommended, providing you get a good wheelbuilder. Mine were tied and soldered for extra strength with minimal weight gain.

Purchased At:   www.medinacycleworks.com

Similar Products Used:   DT Competition, Wheelsmith crap

Bike Setup:   DT Hugi 240 hubs, Bontrager Valiant rims, Spline Drive nipples, 2x front, 3x rear

Submitted by Crazy Guy from Missouri

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Strengths:    I can't believe you guys are writing and reading reviews about spokes. Spokes!! Are you dumb? Would you write reviews for air or sunlight? Geez!

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that you all have too much money and time and not enough sense to use them correctly. Get a life.

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2003

Strengths:    Strong and light weight.

Bottom Line:
i am writing this review in response to some other reviews I read about thes spoke. First, I am a bike mechanic and have built dozens of wheels with these spoke. My last set of wheels that I built for myself had 4000 miles on them. i only had to true them once. I think that the peple who have had problems with these spokes have had wheels that were built improperly. It is very important to do this right. If you don't build these right, they will not not stay true. The key with the Revolutions is spoke tension. The wheels need to have the same tension all around. They also need to be run at very high tension. This is what makes them strong. I have built wheels for guys that are 280 lbs, and they have never broken a spoke. Most of these guys never have to have them trued. These spokes are actually stronger that a straight 14 guage, which says alot since they are nearly half the weight. If you have wheels built with thes spokes by someone who knows how to properly build wheels, you will have no problems.

Purchased At:   East Ridge Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Everything.

Bike Setup:   Titus Riddler, King ISO hubs, 317 rims

Submitted by Rik a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Strengths:    Very light, cuts down on crucial wheel weight, strong, sexy looking.

Weaknesses:    Might not be suited for heavy riders (over 180 lbs.), lateral flex can be an issue.

Bottom Line:
These spokes rock, a little hard to build up (find a good wheel builder if you aren't experienced), but worth every penny. Just as strong, gram for gram as Competitions. Ok, here's the beef... Never, ever, buy anything from Cambria Bike. These guys have the worst customer service people I've ever dealt with, and yes, I've called Rock Shox before. These guys sent ran out of the Rev's in the length I wanted, so they sent Competitions instead, at the same price, and told me after they shipped already. I got the package, they didn't even include all of the rev's they were supposed to in the right length! So I have 16 of the wrong spokes for the rear and not enough for the front. So I called to complain, no problem they said, they'll ship them out tomorrow, no charge. 3 weeks later. No spokes. I call back, "oh, they're on back order, you should have caleed to find out sooner, it'll be another 3 weeks, send us back the wrong ones at your expense, ok?" I flipped out, talked the MANAGER, who was a prick, and still had to wait almost a week. I could have flown to switzerland and gone to the factory myslef for less hassle than these people gave me. They gave no apologies, offered no refunds, and I probably spent closev to 3 hours on the phone with these idiots for 64 tiny strands of steel. Do yourself a favor, boycott these b@stards. I'm out.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Oufitters (Biggest B@STARDS on the Net!!!!)

Similar Products Used:   DT Competition

Bike Setup:   KHS Pro STEEL Full Suspension, z2 xfly, velocity rims (best around, mate), full xt-xtr

Submitted by Jeremy a Racer from Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    Light, strong, everything a racer wants in a spoke

Weaknesses:    a bit flexy under hard cornering

Bottom Line:
When I had my new wheels built for this season the first thing on my priority list was these spokes. Light and strong. Plenty of spoke for a 140lb racer. I'd never build a weelset without them (for rim brakes). Probably not the best choice for a disk wheel.

Favorite Trail:   Ceasar Creek State Park

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   average Joe steel 15g spokes w/ Mavic 238, Mavic 517 w/ DT spokes

Bike Setup:   Homegrown, Sun SubIV, XTR hubset

DT Revolution spokes for 29e, good or bad idea?

I planned to have a set of wheels build up on a set of King hubs I have laying around. I want Stan Crest rims with DT Revolution spokes. One of the shop I spoke to regarding the wheel build was telling me that the DT Revolution spokes would not be a good idea for a 29er due to the longer length a ... Read More »

DT Swiss Revolution Spokes

I know Cambria has them........anyone have a coupon code? I'm looking for 16 @ 292mm and 16 @ 293mm. If not Cambria does anyone know where else to get cheap loose spokes? Dan's Comp seems to only carry Sapim.Read More »

Hope Pro II, DT Revolution and Dartmoor Raider for DH/FR

Guys, I am about to build new wheelset for my new Glory. I will have Hopes Pro II, Dartmoor Raider (local brand, light, very cheap and pretty strong) [url]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/umg.php?m=103[/url] and DT Revolution spokes. I used to ride Pro II, Mavics EN321 and Competition. I am quite ... Read More »

BBW-Pure XCR w/DT Revolution intended use?

[url]http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=168[/url] Pure XCR Rims and Hubs with DT Revolution Spokes. Im looking for a more daily type of XC/trail wheelset on my 3.5 inch full suspension bike. I weigh 170lbs with gear. Is this wheelset is designed around my in ... Read More »

Sapim CX-Ray vs DT-Revolution

I am looking at building a new XC wheelset (29er probably on Stan 355) and I was wondering what's the wisdom regarding the DV Revolution spokes. The last wheel set I built was with the CX-Ray (on 26" Bontrager Race X Lite rims) and I've been very happy with them. But the cost is just killing me ... Read More »