DT Swiss DT Competition Spoke

4.67/5 (15 Reviews)

DT Swiss Competition 14/15 Gauge Black

Submitted by RandyBoy a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    double butted, 14,15,14 gauge 291 and 292mm lengths for 29er wheels I built myself on dt swiss 2040s hubs. Tensioned up nicely without twisting up.

Bottom Line:
pre stress them for wind up, and finish the build off with a tensiometer, and you should have a solid build that withstands everything except gross abuse or acts of Darwinism.

Purchased At:   Cambria bicycle Outf

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss Champions, Sapim Race

Bike Setup:   Niner AIR9, Stan's 29'er Flows, brass 12mm nipples, DT Swiss 240S hubs.

Submitted by zepp3lin a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses in spokes depends on the batch the machine can produce. At a press of the button thousands are produce so if your in luck you will get the best batch that came out.
Another culprit is the wheelbuilder, if your not professional or a certified wheelbuilder and can't build the wheel with a proper machine than it's another weakness in spoke failure or hubs get broken.

Bottom Line:
The best so far, get a certified wheelbuilder and you will see the result.

Similar Products Used:   wheelsmith

Bike Setup:   DT Swiss X470 29er rim with Hope ProII hubs.

Submitted by Joe Nation a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great value, does the job with no fuss.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest.

Bottom Line:
Awesome spoke for general use. Not too pricey, not too heavy, tough enough for my 17 stone frame (good wheel builder notwithstanding). If you want the lightest spokes, or the strongest, these aren't for you. If you're most people, they are.

Submitted by daredevilcsl a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2008

Strengths:    - Strong
- Cheap
- Value for money

Weaknesses:    - Not much of color variety (only black or silver)

Bottom Line:
Simply good and strong spokes for even DH setup. Value for the money you spend as well.

Favorite Trail:   Plentong

Similar Products Used:   - Normal alloy spokes

Bike Setup:   08 VIP Meta 5, 09 Fox 32 Float 15qr, 08 Fox Float RP23, 08 XT groupset, Hope Pro 2 Hub, DT Swiss EX5.1d, DT Competition Spoke.

Submitted by Eric W. a Weekend Warrior from Henderson Nv.

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2007

Strengths:    Last for years, even when used on wheels subjected to tremendous vibration and impacts.( Mojave desert riding ).

Weaknesses:    None that I can find.

Bottom Line:
I've used these on several bikes and several wheelsets, and they last untill the rest of the wheel is worn out and pounded into submision.
Even with uneven tension in the wheels do to "tacoing" the 14 gauge DT spokes will last for years of riding before they begin to fail.

I would give them 100 flaming chilis if I could.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg

Purchased At:   On Wheelsets

Similar Products Used:   Wheelsmith. They are good, but still second to DT.

Submitted by Kevin from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
These butted gems are not only light weight they are very cheap at the place I ordered them at plus they custom cut them to the exact length I needed. 35 cents for a DT spoke is an absolute bargain. Makes me want to buy a bunch just to make spoke jewelry out of! ICYCLES Rocks!

Purchased At:   www.ICYCLESUSA.com

Submitted by Randall a Cross Country Rider from Roseville, CA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    Good combination of strength to weight to price.

Bottom Line:
Good choice for the aspiring wheel builder. CBO sells them for 0.50 a piece. Get the 15 DB since they weigh considerable less than the 14 DB spokes. I use a 2X up front (you can use radial just remember to locktite the threads)and 2 or 3X driveside and radial non-driveside. I weigh 160 and haven't had any spokes breaking. Only drawback is that I have been unable to find 15 DB in black.

Favorite Trail:   Horse Canyon

Purchased At:   CBo

Similar Products Used:   DT 14 DB, Wheelsmith 14 DB

Bike Setup:   Dually

Submitted by Desmond -- a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Strengths:    1. Very very strong
2. Light
3. Cheap

Weaknesses:    Perfect

Bottom Line:
The perfect spokes for extreme XC. This spokes really can withstand my weight of 185lbs even i trash my bike on the extreme condition n they does not cause the rim to offset n its still pretty straight. However, DT revolution is lighter than these but i dont think that the DT revolution is stiffer thn this.

Favorite Trail:   Any XC

Purchased At:   B.S

Similar Products Used:   Odinary spokes

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX890, sid 100, Full XTR except XT crank n cogset, raceface SYstem, thomson seatpost, Mavic 618

Submitted by Graham Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Perh, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    Light and strong.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
In over 2 years thrashing around the hills, I've yet to break one of these spokes.
Sticks, rocks and some trully dreadfull choices of line have put their share of dings and scratches on to them but Ah'm still rollin' along...Ol' man ribber, Oh, ol' man ribber, he just keep rollin' along...la, la, la, etc. etc.

Favorite Trail:   Any under God's sky.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Entrepreneur

Similar Products Used:   Bog standard cheapies with my Zac 19's.

Bike Setup:   Mount Vision, XT Ritchey Mavic IRC

Submitted by Patrik Westerlund a Cross Country Rider from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2000

Strengths:    Reliable, true weight, well built

Weaknesses:    None, really

Bottom Line:
The best compromise. DT Rev are too soft (see sep. review), and the DT 2,0 are heavier but holds up no better than these. I have built 8 wheels during 4 years, and these are the best so far, currently using black ones with alu nipples. My wheels weigh 750/900 and no trueing yet this season.... What's next years colour...;-)

Purchased At:   Sigge Sport

Similar Products Used:   DT 2,0, DT Rev, Wheelsmith

Bike Setup:   Accesss Ti frame, XTR, RS SID sl -99, Hope hubs Mavic 230 rims

Submitted by gavin a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    I break a spoke every ride, and it is imposible to keep them in true

Bottom Line:
I am a big guy (95kg), but not to big, and I'm old (40's) and I ride as hard as I can but I'm not 25 any more so I don't kill my bikes anymore. These things are hell, the bike is awesome, but I had to carry spare spokes everywhere I travelled. I've re-built the back wheel with DT 2.0 and will see how we go. Bottom line is if you are over 85kgs get your wheels built with "sensible" hardware. If I could give no rating I would.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   until now I've never even thought about spokes, I've never had trouble

Bike Setup:   Raven 2000sl

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Nothern Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2000

Strengths:    High quality
great durability

Bottom Line:
I have used these in a variety of wheels over the past 10 years, they are alway acurately measured, butts are cosistant and smoothe and wheelbuilding with them is a breeze. On the trail they do exactly what they are supposed to and after the big hit the wheel is still easy to adjust and true. There is no question that this is a highly recommended product.

Favorite Trail:   my back yard