X-Lite XLR Series Camlok Titanium Wheel Skewers Skewer

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)
Weight : N/A MSRP : $87.45

X-Lite "XLR Series" Camlok Ti skewers are the lightest full spec. Q/R's available. Super smooth operation through acetyl bearings and unique cam profile generating maximum force. Removable lever keys for saving extra weight and urban security! Lazer etched and available in six colors including the new XLR Borinium finish.

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from KL, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Strengths:    Light, titanium and the removable key

Weaknesses:    It's a skewer, how wrong can it get?

Bottom Line:
Bought this at about USD25 with a sealed bearing hub. Both from the same OEM factory as x-Lite. The hub is the same as WTB LaserDisc and American Classic disc hubs.

Overall, I was pleased that this skewer came standard with the hub. The removable key makes me feel a whole lot safer leaving my bike mounted behind the car. Always had that fear that I may return finding the wheel missing.

Similar Products Used:   duh

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS

Submitted by Steve Young a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Strengths:    Beautifully manufactured.
Very smooth action.

Weaknesses:    Too early to say

Bottom Line:
There are lots of perfectly functional products to be had much cheaper - if you buy these then accept that there is an element of bike vanity involved - even competing Ti skewers can be had cheaper (at least in the US).

Having said that I'm very happy with mine so far.
Engineering is superb - the cams are properly designed. The cam profile is such that the pressure releases slightly in the tightened position preventing any chance of the thing coming undone. I've always doubted this has been done properly with cheaper skewers in the past but with the x-lites there is no doubt.

The acetyl bearings are very very smooth and the Q.R. lever requires less pressure to hold the wheel firmly than others I have used.

The things are feather-light so I worry a bit how they will hold up - time will no doubt tell. IIRC they came with a five year guarantee (may be mistaken) but seems like the manufacturer has reasonable confidence in the product.

Needed to take care when locating the front skewer to ensure that it did not foul the RockShox leg when closed - no problem, just requires care - if you were going to use these for serious racing then I would give extra consideration to whether there was any risk of failing to secure properly when in a hurry. (Having said that, half the racers I know have filed the safety tabs off their fork drop outs so obviously don't care whether their wheels fall off anyway)

The removable Q.R. levers are a useful security feature - but I never leave my bike except in a locked car so of limited value to me - nevertheless a nice idea except for the fact that the threads of the lever locating hole fill up with mud within about two seconds of off-road riding sans lever.

I'm very pleased with them however (who would of thought you could write so much about skewers) - and there is no doubt that they look superb.

P.S. I justified the purchase to my wife by showing her the superficial rust on the surface of my previous (stainless?!!) skewers and claiming that this could lead to failure which could only be avoided with certainty if I switched to titanium. I don't think she bought the story but I got the skewers anyway.

Not the first thing to spend your money on but if you already have loads of trick bits on your bike they make for a nice finishing touch.

Purchased At:   x-lite.com