Veratomic Quick Lock Skewers Skewer

4.08/5 (13 Reviews)

The Veratomic Quick-Lock is the new way to protect your wheels and seat from theft. It is a cam operated quick release, just like the one you have used for years. The only difference is the handle comes out. Without the specially keyed handle, the quick-release won't open. No need for extra locks or seat leashes. It's always there, so you can't forget to use it.

MSRP: $45 for 3 piece set (2 wheel skewers and seat post skewer)

Submitted by Gabriel from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2006

Strengths:    Great deterrent. I've watched people pace around my bike trying to figure out if they can steal anything only to walk off in frustration.

Weaknesses:    Key sheared off during installation and I had to use vice grips to get the skewer back off again. Since then, no problems until this week when the cotter pin which holds the whole thing together broke and the cam fell out on a ride (thankfully it was on the seatpost and not the wheel).

Bottom Line:
Great product for around town but doesn't seem to hold up under heavy use (I'm often taking off my wheels and seat post for maintenence, boxing for trips, etc.). Also, the company is impossible to contact (phone rings forever and emails bounce back).

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Strengths:    This is a great *deterrent* device. On the UC Berkeley campus, there are plenty of bike thefts each year. Smart people use cables to prevent theft, but these work just as well without any hassle associated with unwieldy coils of cable. Everyone should know that if people are determined, though, they can bust open even the most expensive U Lock from Kryptonite, so this is again, a deterrent device. Sort of how an open window invites thieves more than an open one: if they were really determined, they'd simply smash the window.

Weaknesses:    They aren't made of kryptonite? I love them for what they are, and I am fully aware of their limitations. To the person who says that they can be opened with pliers, I'm sorry, but the same hardware store where you buy those pliers will sell cable cutters that are your only real alternative unless you take the bike indoors each time. (I think Mr. Hall was having a bad day and decided to just whine and bash a product. Why? He mentions that he "sheared" three keys. Then he says they snap like twigs. By all indications, he bought only one set for his one commute bike, so how the heck does he have more than three keys? You can't break one twice, first shearing it and then snapping it! Either failure would have made the key useless. Decide for yourself if you want to trust what he said..)

If you have Mavic Ksyriums or other fancy wheels of your liking, you need to take your bike indoors each time, or if you ride it somewhere, be at a place where you can keep an eye on it all the time. If you have a local bike shop bike and you want to protect it, then I have to say that its worked perfectly for me.

Bottom Line:
The company owners are very responsive. I recommend these to others, especially university students in urban areas where bike theft is a normal thing. I have had these for 2 years. I bought a set for a friend at the same time, and she has had no problems.

I say a value rating of 4, since the prices have dropped since I bought them :P.

Purchased At:   myquicklock.com

Submitted by Bill Clement a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2004

Strengths:    Works and gives one more problem for thieves. Lets me carry less weight in locks.

Weaknesses:    The 'centering' springs on the wheel skewers are chintzy. No other problems found so far.

Bottom Line:
Having read the other reviews(Hey, MTBR- can you LOSE all those first bogus reviews within a week of each other? Obvious shills), I was worried about the strength and durability, but they have worked fine. Tighten easily and hold the wheels and seat in place. Have held up in rain. I am careful with tightening, but I can crank them down hard.

They let me lock up my bike in the city with one more hassle for thieves. Most times I carry one U-lock for the frame and let these skewers handle the wheels. Nice to lose the weight of a cable and padlock. Nothing will stop determined thieves, but every little hassle improves your chances.

If you use your bike for transit and need to lock it up, these will add a bit to your security. If you don't need to lock up your bike, stick with traditional skewers.

Purchased At:   direct from Veratomic

Similar Products Used:   Traditional quick release skewers.

Bike Setup:   Wheels, frame, saddle, all the good stuff.

Submitted by Lyndon Hall a Cross Country Rider from Regina, SK, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    Locks your wheels - little bit more security. It's a great idea but poorly implemented.

Weaknesses:    These things are seriously crappy. I've sheared three keys off using regular strength to take wheels on and off. If you ride in the winter, the keys become more brittle in the cold and snap like twigs. I'm not so sure that the locking mechanism is even that great. I could take the skewer off with a set of pliers with makes it no better than a bolt that you can buy at a hardware store for 10 cents. It looks like the keys on all of these might be the same. The keyed part of the handle needs to be wider and thicker to handle a decent amount of torque from tightening the skewer. This idea needs serious work. Also, their website doesn't have SSL encryption and they decided to ship to Canada using a customs agent - doubled the price of the bloody things.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it. It's a catch-22. If you tighten to hard, your key will shear off. If you don't tighten enough, you can remove the quick release with pliers. Expensive garbage, that's all.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Pound

Purchased At:   Direct from Veratomic

Similar Products Used:   Just regular quick-releases - are they really that different? This one's 5 grams and that one's 10 grams. I'll worry about the extra 10 pounds on my gut first.

Bike Setup:   These are on my regular old commuting bike. 40 pounds of steel, nothing elaborate except my studded tires that I want to protect.

Submitted by John P a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    Great product. Easy to use. Makes locking up a cinch. I don’t have to worry about locking my wheels or seat because the Quick-Lock keeps them secure. I use to use a u-lock to lock my bike and a cable around the wheels - the seat was just an Allen wrench. Now I just need the u-lock and I don’t have to worry about my wheels or seat. Much quicker and easier.

Weaknesses:    It only comes in Silver – I wanted black, but they don’t make it.

Bottom Line:
I’m happy with my Quick-Locks. They are totally easy to use. Don’t know what happened with Bill A.’s key breaking off, but I’ve used mine hard and had no problems. Before I bought my Quick-Locks, I did some research. I found two online articles which were positive enough to convince me to buy. Also, the new issue of Dirt Rag just did a review that was pretty good.

Purchased At:   www.myquicklock.com

Similar Products Used:   I used hex-nuts for a while. What a pain! Felt like I was 6 years old again. Thought about Krypto’s set, but it costs almost $60. Too rich for my blood. I tried the Delta bolt-on skewers. Paid about $30 for two (front and back). They work ok, but everyone has the same universal key. Fat lot of good that does. What good is theft deterrence when you know the thief has the same key! For basically the same price I got the Veratomic set of three with three keys.

Submitted by Bill A a Racer from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    Isn't susceptible to stripping like the Kryptonite locking skewers.

Works like a real QR and not a warmed-over bolt-on.

3 keys with every set -- BONUS if you lose/break things alot.

Family-owned business, very nice people.

Weaknesses:    The keys aren't torsionally strong, so the piece that inserts into the keyhole shears off under force.

The locking mechanism is held in with a small cotter pin that can come loose, causing the whole mechanism to fall out of the skewer. Easily fixed, but annoying.

Even with the key removed, these can easily be removed using a pair of vice grips.

Bottom Line:
The design is definitely an improvement over the Krypto skewers, which are prone to stripping and RUST IN PLACE. Most Krypto stuff is decent, but their skewers are junk.

You have to be VERY gentle with these when installing them, as the small post on the key that inserts into the skewer itself is not torsionally strong at all. If you twist too hard, the post shears off inside the skewer and you can't take the damn things off. This happened on my front wheel. Fortunately, I don't flat often because I run tire liners and extra thick tubes, so I didn't have to worry about it too much until I had to put my bike on a car rack.

When the time came for me to take the wheel off, all I had to do was bust out the trusty old vice grips and lock on to the lever-side of the skewer, and it loosened very easily.

So they're not really all that secure, after all. However, since most thieves are looking for easy targets, these skewers do make it at least a little more difficult to steal your wheels.

Don't count on them to protect your Ksyriums or anything expensive. However, they work fine as a deterrent against theft of my MA3's on Tiagra hubs.

Another problem is that the locking mechanism itself isn't very well assembled, and I had one skewer completely fall apart. I managed to piece it back together and it works fine, but it was an unncessary headache.

I'm going to contact Veratomic and see about a warranty replacement, because once that key post shears off in the lock, the skewer is useless.

I talked to the owner at the Chicago Bike Show and he was very cool, and I'm sure they'll replace them. But the bottom line is, this is a first-generation design that still has some bugs to be worked out. The idea is great, and I'm sure that with some improvements -- starting with a stronger steel in the keys -- they'll be a solid value.

2 chilis on both value and overall now, would get bumped up a couple notches once they address the design issues.

Favorite Trail:   Tunero Canyon, Albuquerque

Purchased At:   Direct from Veratomic at the bike show.

Similar Products Used:   Kryptonite locking skewers -- which suck, the heads stripped, a pin in the key fell out, and to top it all off, they rusted in place, so I had to use a hacksaw to get it off.

Bike Setup:   I used these skewers on my commuter bike, Jamis Nova 'cross rig with Freddy Hardcore fenders, Performance Laser headlight, AirZoundz air horn (scares the piss out of people in cars - 110 dB!), etc. I put about 4,000 miles on this rig annually riding to and from work, errands, etc. I also run Slime tire liners and extra thick tubes to prevent flats, which came in handy (read below...)

Submitted by Ted Pettus a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Strengths:    Security and ease of use

Bottom Line:
As a city commuters who locks their bikes outdoors every day, and a couple that rides to restaurants at night, my wife and I have both lost seats, seat posts, and wheels.
This product allows me more freedom and security to leave my bike where I please. And it is so easy to use it has had no drawback further than the 40.00 out of my wife's pocket

Favorite Trail:   N. Highland to Atkins Park

Purchased At:   Web

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Kristine Armstrong a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Versatile, light, easy to carry and enhanced security.

Weaknesses:    I have yet to find one but I am still looking.

Bottom Line:
For a novice week-end warrior, the Veratomic quick lock is the only safety device you need that insures your bike will be there when you return to get it....no matter where you lock it...That is security.

Favorite Trail:   Apache Trail

Purchased At:   Internet

Bike Setup:   Intuitive and easy to use....especially for a new bike advocate like myself.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from AZ

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to use and install. Makes my tires and seat more secure.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Quick-Lock ROCKS! I park my bike on campus in a bike rack and can now lock my wheels and seat with a simple 3" key, I THREW MY BULKY 6 FOOT CABLE AWAY. If you park your bike any where out of your site (other than your garage) and need to protect it from theft I think the Quick-Lock is a must, and its so simple anyone can use it.

Purchased At:   myquicklock.com

Similar Products Used:   Replaced my original equipment quick release skewer (but they don't really compare Quick-Lock protects my wheels and seats from theft and the quick release didn't).

Submitted by CLAY a Weekend Warrior from CURRAN, IL USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2003

Strengths:    Great ease of operation, same as my old skewer, but I can remove the handle and the wheels and seat are locked on. So I simply lock up the frame and not have to mess with other devices to secure all the removable theft prone components. With the Quicklock I am first of my biking group in to get my latte on our cycling break!

Weaknesses:    None. A new product very well designed and made. Should hold up well with the quality of metal used and the unique keyed locking device embedded in the skewer appears tamper proof.

Bottom Line:
This is a much needed product and I am so happy to have been once of the first of my biking friends to learn about it. ( check out internet bike locks) Now I have less worry and hassle when I want to pop into a store and only have to secure the frame and see the other more vulnerable bikes which must be more attractive to any thief than the confounding QUICK LOCKED SKEWER on my bike! Dear bike friends put some of your worries to rest and get one of these NOW!if you ever have cause to leave your bike locked and unattended. It has even helped to keep small children playing near my bike from releasing the locking lever so I don't have to always check that.

Purchased At:   ONLINE MYQUICKLOCK

Similar Products Used:   none like this!

Bike Setup:   The Quicklock Skewer fits all bikes with standard skewers. Simple to replace old skewer with the quicklock skewer.

Submitted by Tara Henrichsen a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2003

Strengths:    Built-in lock. So simple and convenient. Don't have to mess with keys, cables or bother to take seat and wheels on and off. Very light and strong.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
It's awesome! I've been riding and racing for over 10 years and find it hard to believe that nothing like it has been on the market until now. I recommend it to everyone!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim - Moab, UT

Purchased At:   www.myquicklock.com

Similar Products Used:   There are some nut-to-bolt variations out there but nothing compares to this cam-operated version. Love it!

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Uno (full suspension)

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Strengths:    Simple and easy to use.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
A friend told me about this product and it seemed too good to be true until he showed me how it worked. I like to ride in the city and I always had to make my stops short as I don't like to use standard locks (they're too cumbersome and complicated). Now I stop for lunch or hang out with friends and not have to worry. It's also helpful when I'm parked after a ride and want to hike afterwards. A great value!

Purchased At:   On-line

Similar Products Used:   None - certainly not comparable to U-Locks and the like. Very unique and quite a simple concept.

Bike Setup:   Installation was easy, and the packaging made it mindless.

Submitted by Deland Bentz a Weekend Warrior from Arizona

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Strengths:    It was easy to install, very light - I don't have to carry around my extra U locks for my tires - less clutter

Weaknesses:    I haven't had any problems

Bottom Line:
I dig it. It works for me! I wish I had something like this in college, I would have made it to class on time instead of fighting with my "high security" devices.

I like to ride with the key's out. I keep one on my keychain just in case I need it. The product comes with 3 keys so its nice to have one at home too, just in case.

The other reason that I bought the quick lock is the packaging. I thought it was designed really well.

I have been really pleased with this product. I have told several friends about it and everyone likes it.

Similar Products Used:   I can't really compare it to anything. I don't know any other product like it.

Bike Setup:   very easy