Specialized ti Skewers Skewer

3.13/5 (15 Reviews)

Specialized ti Skewers

Submitted by Ian Bell a Downhiller from Massena, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    For the average rider, these skewers will work fine, and they can take on the big mountain, just ride a little conservative.

Weaknesses:    I stripped out the front skewer after changing a tube.

Bottom Line:
They're a good product for an average rider and more or less an introductory product. You really have to crank on them and their kind of tough to take off, but at $8.00 per skewer, im not complaining too much. you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Whiteface Mtn

Purchased At:   High Peaks Cyclery

Bike Setup:   1998 HardRock comp, xt setup, manitou ti spring forks

Submitted by kFanghe a Cross Country Rider from TO

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2000

Strengths:    Light and cheap on sale

Weaknesses:    Extremely sharp edges that are hell on your hands. Cheezy construction

Bottom Line:
These skewers are in short bad. Sharp edges rip your palms apart to the point where it's almost impossible to open the skewer. First time I got them they jammed on me, go figure. They look nice and are light but save your money for something better (i.e. Salsa). You get what you pay for, stay away from $19 skewers especially ones called "Specialized"

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Truth cross country style

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Richland, WA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, light, looks cool, you can tell people it's titanium, decent levers.

Weaknesses:    It's titanium, so it's a little flex, I think.

Bottom Line:
I dont know. I has this on my M2 Stumpy and the back wheel would keep sliping out unless I really cranked down on the rear skewer, which of course isn't good for the hub bearings. The front wheel can have a little bit of flop, but I think the hub is a stronger factor in that. OK, so now I'm back to a steel frame, and the rear wheel isn't slipping out, and I don't have to crank on the skewer. What gives? Anyway - I'm starting to think people's skewer problems aren't necessarily skewer problems, you know? So - these are typical cheap, semi-sleazy Specialized parts.

Similar Products Used:   stock skewers

Bike Setup:   lightweight XC riding

Submitted by PERCH a Racer from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2000

Strengths:    Looks and Weight

Weaknesses:    Sharp edges

Bottom Line:
The rear skewer every time I woulp hammer down would pull the wheel into the chainstay.
Als the aluminum edge where the sit in the dropout completly wore away

Similar Products Used:   American Classic, XTR

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by John Pentecost a cross-country rider from Portland, Maine

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got these from Supergo for some ridiculously low price, too. They seem to work fine as far as holding my wheels in place, but the back one was a bit bulky and hard to operate in my rear drop out (I ride a Ti Voodoo). Also the front one was so stout that it would not even fit through my new King Hubs, so I had to scrap the skewers and go with an old set of XTR's that seem idiot-proof in comparison.
5 chillies to begin with - 1 for bulkiness - 1 for incompatability = 3 flaming dead horses.

Submitted by JoBu a cross-country rider from FL

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I, too, bought these skewers out of Supergo on close-out $19. In fact, I've bought 3 sets for 3 different bikes. Sure they have sharp edges but hey, so do the trails. If you are such a pansy that you are worried about the edges of these skewers, maybe you need to be riding along some nice paved bike paths with the other Huffy-people. Get real folks, this is mountain biking (or at least trail biking here in FL) and it's not for the weak. These things rock.

Submitted by Todd a cross-country rider from Dallas, Tx

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'm another person that got these for $19 from Supergo. Yes, they are light and cool looking. And they have sharp edges, but so does your crankset, just tuck into a ball in a crash and protect your vitals. But...there was a crash I had where the rear wheel came out of its dropout and FUBAR'd my rim pretty bad. I thought I might have neglected to properly tighten the skewer cam but now I wonder if it didn't just pop open on its own. Four chilis now, but if it happens again, screw the chili system, we're talking litigation!! P.S. Don't even pay $70 for skewers, even if they've hung in the Louvre! They're skewers!

Submitted by Doug a cross-country rider from chattanooga

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

these came stock with my '95 S-works and while they are light and cool looking they function like junk. If you attempt a sprint the rear tire will twist right out of the frame and rub
against the chainstay. The same goes for their cool looking seat binder which functioned in much the same way. I replaced these with a simple inexpensive set of XT skewers and have not experienced any problems since then. Ever wonder while you see so many Specialized Accessories on closeout? They make awesome bikes but their components leave a lot to be desired.

Submitted by Dale Wissman a racer from Morgantown, WV

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought my first one when I bought a rear spinergy and was looking for a funky looking skewer to compliment it. Well, i was blown away. Not only does it way NOTHING compared to Shimano skewers, it looks great and is SO easy to operate. It's gets 5 chilies from me.

Submitted by Lancer a weekend warrior from Northridge, CA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

I purchased these at Supergo for $15 to replace the LX shewers
on my son's Diamondback. Not only did I reduce weight but the
locking mechanism is much better than the Shimano LX. I recommend
them to any lightweights who want to trick their bikes. 5
chilis from me, meet and exceeded my expectactions. A great
deal.

Submitted by Rob Blomquist a cross-country rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

I got a pair of these one night just before a race, because I snapped a skewer. Really light, and a good price, but the fall apart 'grip rings' fall off the skewer ends making it a hassle to put the wheel on. Its not a safety issue by any means, only a hassle.Performance parts aren't.

Submitted by Greg Wang a cross-country rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

I got a set for my girlfriend and I think they are great.From the side of the bike, they look really cool. However, I think the cam may be a bit big, because from head on they are kind of ugly.Performance wise, they have worked and held up like skewers should. If there a wear problems, people may have defective sets or may be tightening them too far. They tighten sort of like the Salsa's do, so you have to do it right.

Submitted by Alec ODoherty a racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: January 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

light
stupid shape
wear and open by themselves with time

Submitted by eric a cross-country rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1996

Bottom Line:

Replaced the XT skewers that came with my bike with these. I got a good price at my LBS ($35), considering the skewer is Ti. They work fine but have a somewhat vague feel when tightening the nut, meaning that I'm never quite sure when to cinch the lever over. That was never a problem with the XT skewers. Also, the lever itself is really big, with sharp edges. Not a huge deal, but it doesn't fit well with my Judy when the lever is closed - it needs to sit at an angle that isn't parallel with the fork blade.

Submitted by T. Moore a cross-country rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1996

Bottom Line:

I got the new Specialized version mainly because they look great and they match my Specialized.
The stock Shimano skewers work well, but they look real dull. I will be sad when
I spill and the new releases get sratched by either a rock, root, or tree. Five
stars!

lightweight ti skewers that you trust?

I understand some significant weight can be saved on lightweight ti skewers over standard xt skewers, and the cost is pretty low. Front skewer is unsprung weight too (on a hardtail) What do you run and trust?, there's no shortage of ti skewers on ebay.Read More »

Need Advice for XL TI Bolt-On Skewers

My rear dropouts are 1cm thick on each side, so I need a rear skewer that can fit around a 155mm total dimension (std length fits the front just fine). I tried HALO XL skewers, but they snapped on me using a properly calibrated torque wrench (using their 7ft/lb spec). I think it could be due to ... Read More »

How much would Ti bolts and skewers shave?

Looking to shave some grams and spotted Ti bolts and skewers on this forum, haven't had a chance to weigh my steel bolts and skewers but how much would I shave replacing them with titanium? Considering I'd be replacing stem, headset, brake bracket and rotor boltsRead More »

Ti Skewers on Suspension bikes?

I think they used to not recommend it but, when I look at the pros bikes now they seem to use them. Todd Wells and I think Kulhavy have them on the bikes shown on Cyclingnews.com What do you guys think? Any reason not to? Not as stiff? Thanks!Read More »

Only Ti/Titanium bolt on skewers 31g

Probably some of you weenies have been using this Taiwanese bolt on skewers. Superlightweight at 31g! but what feedback can you give about them? Are they strong enough for aggressive XC racing? Will the small alu bolts or the axle snap under power? available at ebay if someone is interested...Read More »