Ringlé Twisters Skewer

3.58/5 (31 Reviews)

Ringle Twisters

Submitted by Pedro a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Strengths:    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    I had to pay for them.

Bottom Line:
Everyone just be honest - we all bought these because they look cool. If you try to convince anyone that you bought them for some kind of "performance" or "weight savings" benefit, you're just lying to yourself because you feel stupid for spending money for something that does nothing but look cool. Don't feel bad for that! It's ok to spend money for stuff like that sometimes. They are COOL - just admit it. All this talk about "flex" and technical mumbo jumbo is a waste of time when you're talking about skewers! Come on people! We're talking about colored skewers! We all bought them because they look cool! I admit it, why can't you?! With all the other high tech crap we spent money on, it's OK to spend money to make our bike look cool as well.

Purchased At:   my local too cool for me to shop at bike shop

Similar Products Used:   XTR, Ritchey Logic, Suntour

Bike Setup:   Carbon fiber frame, full XTR, Rock Shox Mag 21, some other stuff that really doesn't make it ride better but makes me feel pretty cool.

Submitted by Phillip a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2003

Strengths:    yeah right. they looked cool and have been around for a while. thats why I initially bought em.

Weaknesses:    they suck, arent very user friendly, the rear skewer rod broke. Ringle wouldnt even send me the rod. so the hell with em

Bottom Line:
stick with the XTR IMHO its the industry standard

Favorite Trail:   cane creek->wayahutta

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR Salsa. I think the XTR's are the best. the salsa feel nice but are heavy?

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude race. King XTR 517's S-works.

Submitted by andrew from baltimore

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2002

Strengths:    light, look good, keep the wheel on the bike?

Weaknesses:    It takes 5 seconds to tighten these skewers instead of 3.

Bottom Line:
These have lasted over 5 seasons of constant use and they still basically look as good as new. Some people don't like that you have to untwist them to release your wheels, but I rather like knowing exactly how much tension I put on them(peace of mind I guess). I think they do what they are made to do, and they do it very well. I probably wouldn't use them for racing, but I don't race, so who cares? They're great, period.

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   sub 22 lb. cannondale

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross Country Rider from Cuyahoga Falls, OH USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to use. No guess work. Light. Look really good

Bottom Line:
You friggin skewer isn't going to make any difference on your bike siffness. You don't ride on your skewer you ride on your axle. and the flex usually comes from your fork or your frames rear end. I have worked at a bike shop for 4 yrs now and skewers are basically just there to take on and off your wheel. The money come in looks and weight. They have no function except to take your wheel off. Use some common sense people when it comes to flex.

Purchased At:   colorado cyclist

Bike Setup:   Marin with manitou sx fork.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Qld Australia

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Strengths:    These are super light, seem very strong and just look cool.

Weaknesses:    havent found one yet

Bottom Line:
These skewers are great, user friendly and dont have any plastic bits like shimanos. The price may be a little to high to some people but they came with my bike so I dont care what they cost. As for flex dont buy a cross country part if you are not a cross country rider.

Favorite Trail:   channel 9

Purchased At:   came on my bike

Similar Products Used:   shimano xt, but they were terribe

Bike Setup:   1999 cannondale with cad 3 frame, fatty D, full XT groupset apart from skewers and hubs, azonic flat bars and ringle moby seat post.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Strengths:    looks

Weaknesses:    Don't stay on tight

Bottom Line:
I am so not happy with these twist skewers. They take longer to tighten, and then don't stay tight. It's the only skewer I've ever had come loose on me while riding. I was commuting to school, starting up from a dead stop at a light, when all of a sudden my rear wheel popped out of the dropout! Luckily I was able to save myself before I fell over. They don't have any ridges where they clamp to the dropout, so they're more likely to come loose. Twist skewers are a terrible idea.

Similar Products Used:   Salsa chromo, Shimano STX, Bontrager Race, and Deore XT skewers

Bike Setup:   Performance M304 True Temper steel frame, AC front hub, STX rear

Submitted by Peter Creve a Weekend Warrior from Antwerp-Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Strengths:    Looks cool , strong , color stays very long

Weaknesses:    What weaknesses ??

Bottom Line:
Good and reliable product. Never had any problems with
them and I think I never will have any problems with these
skewers in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Hardcore street/freestyle

Purchased At:   Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Kore , xtr , control tech

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula , Marzocchi Bomber , magura(10th) + altek ,
ringle + mavic x517cer , xtr , Club Roost , Race Face

Submitted by Ben Wrightsman a Cross Country Rider from Indy,IN,USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Nice lever for tighting, good looks

Weaknesses:    a bit pricey

Bottom Line:
Excellent skewer, light, esy to operate even with gloves, or when muddy. ***If you are worried about "FLEX", go buy a steel-horse Huffy**** Sun-Ringle has put out some very good components (ie rims, hubs, headsets) They did it again with these skewers! Keep up the good work!!

Favorite Trail:   Boys Club Land Warsaw,IN

Similar Products Used:   xt skewwers, salsa :(

Bike Setup:   '98 Fisher Montare, Sun Rhyno Light(XL)Rims, Sun Bubba Hubs,Sun-Ringle skewers and seat binder

Submitted by jochen stadler a Cross-Country Rider from austria

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1999

Strengths:
nice design, reliable, easy handling

Weaknesses:
logo goes off, doesn´t fit the 3d breeze in´s at my new NTH frame

Bottom Line:
really fine product, unfortunately i cannot transfer them to my new frame, they need flat drop ins, and the ritchey breeze in´s don´t match with this nice twisters

1 Year

Control tech, Shimano

Zaskar with Z2 atom bomb

Submitted by Mike Osiowy a Cross-Country Rider from Regina, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Strengths:
Light, cool-looking, lockable and just stylin'

Weaknesses:
A bit flexy (but I do ride a Quadra 5- not a stiff shock) and not something I'd spent $90 on

Bottom Line:
I know that if I still have a Quadra 5 on my bike, I have more important things to spend money on than trick TI skewers. But they were $30 Can. (about $20 US) used, and I can always put them on a better bike. So now, my $600, 26.5 lbs. bike sports TI! They flex a bit, but not all that badly. To really be honest, I can't tell a weight difference, nor does my bike ride too much smoother because of any shock absorbance the skewers might have. But they lock, they look cool and I'm sure they save a little weight. For the money I spent, I like'em. By the way, I'm reviewing the older three-hole handle skewers, which I think look cooler than the newer ones, especially in silver and purple.

Avonlea Badlands

3 months

Just your basic cheap-a** shimano ones.

'97 Trek 6000, Rock Shox Quadra 5, Alivio parts

Submitted by fgdd a weekend warrior from sgager

Date Reviewed: February 13, 1999

Bottom Line:

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome,

Submitted by Gunther of the Hill People a cross-country rider from Branson MO

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

Unlike many reviewers here, I got a set of these Twisters for $27 at a bike shop blow-out auction. So, the high price tag doesn't weigh heavily on my evaluation. It will be a long damn time before I can pony up $90 for something as static as skewers. But I got these and they work fine. I've had tons of Shimano skewers and some aftermarket ones and these are simple and straightforward. I've had cam-type skewers completely seize up on me as they succombed to the foul elements of all seasons Missouri riding. There are fewer moving parts an less mechanization in these, which is good. They definately don't add any weight, and look super fly. Its amazing how much something little like this adds to the zoot value of your ride. I think some of the reviews here which complain of flex are misplaced. That is a trait of titanium and can't be blamed on Ringlé and would have to be said for other brands of ti skewers as well. I would imagine that if someone was running these that they would have also have corresponding race level components, so flexy skewers should not be that great a concern with good suspension hubs and forks. I run a Girvin Elite on a DBR hardtail with either LX or XT hubs and have noticed no difference in flex from the Shimano skewers. I'm giving these 5 chiles for doing what they're supposed to do and costing me under $30.

Submitted by skillet a racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Had these for 2 years with no problem. I kept the threads greased, but now the rear one has unscrewed itself from the wrong end (the left side) and it's next to impossible to screw back in without damaging the rod in the process. Trying the Salsas next. They did what they were supposed to for 2 years though, so I give them...

Submitted by Jason a cross-country rider from DurhamNC,SanFranciscoCA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Sounds like most of those reviewing didn't even own these skewers. I do and have ridden them three years. Super operation until a month ago. The brass bushing on my front finally wore out and its very hard to unwind the skewer once its set up to ride. I'm sure ringle will send me a new bushing, then its more trail mayhem for me and the KHS once again.

Submitted by Attrition a racer from NYC

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

Reading the other reveiws I must point a few things out1)Any titanium skewer isn't going to help your suspension fork stiffness, or your rear suspension stiffness; titanium flexes... so... dont use titanium skewers in these locations, use cromoly skewers unless your system is flex free (headshok, triple crown,,,,etc)
2) understanding my first point dont use these for downhillinggood, now that we understand each other my reveiw....These are exellent ti-skewers they are light, cool lookin, and very functional (if you disagree reread your instructions ; moron :) )A bit pricey, but I prefer the best not the best price

Any grip twisters around here? <motos, not shifters>

Hey all, Ive been pedaling bikes for awhile now and finally got my first moto('03wr250f) about 2yrs ago and sadly, its been mostly delegated as a clothes hanger in my garage for airing out sweat soaked nasty chamois and such. Im looking for some places to network with other moto riders, learn ... Read More »

Got twisters on the way!

After a little over a year away, I've got grip shifters ordered. Had them on my old bike and loved them. Can't wait to put them on!!Read More »

Seatpost Collar for older style QR Binders (like Ringle Twisters)?

Are there any good seatpost collars that look like the one on the right in this picture: [IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jdDAdcbbkmk/UFd5piRTRiI/AAAAAAAAABU/TrmpCzMojvc/s700/RingleTwisters5.jpg[/IMG] Just picked up a Ringle Twister seatpost binder and would like to use it without cutti ... Read More »

Twisters - Attack/SLX Vs X7/X7

G'day My 11 year old daughter had trouble with the thumb action on her Deore shifters with SLX rear derailleur. I chose to go with Sram Attack twisters. The reason for this is that she had trouble with the cheapo Shimano twister on her 7 speed 20" bike, so I changed the set up to X3/X3 and it cha ... Read More »

10 speed twisters - availability date?

Been looking and haven't seen anything posted on this... anyone have an ETA on availability? ThanksRead More »