Home | Reviews | Skewer | Kore

4.13/5 (90 Reviews)

Kore Skewers

Submitted by ace a Cross Country Rider from canada/korea

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    lite..easy to close and open

Bottom Line:
compared to one in the rear wheel..which i don't know what it is..it's really easy to use it./

no force needed to close or open...and large logo makes sure that everyone notices that i put tons of money into my bike...ha...

Favorite Trail:   watershed

Bike Setup:   litespeed

Submitted by Roger a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Good reviews on MtbReview.com

Weaknesses:    Strength. Feel. Safety. Function.

Bottom Line:
These are the only skewers that have ever broken on me. Fortunately it happened when I put the wheel on. The function and feel is lame. When I closed them they would pop back out. I played with the tension a lot and I never felt confident they would stay clamped. The bike dealer warrantied them but said the Ti skewers were not strong enough and gave me steel instead. They worked just as poorly and I replaced them with Shimano LX. The Shimano LX skewers have been on the bike since the Summer of 99 and have worked flawlessly. I would love to replace them if I could find a trick set of skewers that work as good as the Shimanos.

Favorite Trail:   Lakeshore Trail

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, LX, XTR, 600, & TiSticks.

Bike Setup:   98 Schwinn Homegrown All-Mountain 4-Banger with Marzocchi Z.1 Bomber.

Submitted by Chris from Colchester

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    titanium

Weaknesses:    Kore sucks

Bottom Line:
Everything I have ever bought by kore has sucked and this is not exception, yea it looks cool, but it is a piece of crap, don't buy it there is a reason kore has all there stuff on closout

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Submitted by Mister T. a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    Cool cnc logo on the lever, nice feel. Easy in and out. No need to force, hence the delrin washer for "easy" entry and release...

Weaknesses:    None, if you don't force like a monkey to put them on!

Bottom Line:
This is a quote i took from Kore
"Delrin Washer
For smooth operation and easy opening and closing"

HELLO, i don't understand why people have cracked the the delrin washer, honestly, use common sence. geese I agree, go see you're mechanic to smack you in the head...

These skewers are awesome, i don't have a problem, they hold perfectly. Only flaw, i couldn't get them red. But still they rock

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Submitted by Charles a Cross Country Rider from Mountain View, CA, US

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    Came loose, lost my wheel!

Bottom Line:
I purchased these when the plastic piece off my front Mavic skewer got ripped off during a crash. I thought they were fine until I put my front wheel on top of the car for the trip down to Sea Otter 2002. I've put a lot wheels on top of cars, but this is the first time a wheel came off after the trip from Mountain View to Monterey. The car wasn't going that fast and there wasn't that much of a wind. Suffice to say, I spent Saturday running around trying to find a replacement wheel so that I could ride my XC race on Sunday. I got a Paul Components hub, and had a wheel built by Sun-Ringle. I had to drive to Joselyns in Monterey to pick up my Salsa skewers that are a tried a true design that are working fine. Now I have an extra Kore and a Mavic rear skewer. I should have read the reviews that said the Kore's come loose. At least I wasn't riding when they came loose!

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Salsa, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Seven Sola

Submitted by Dan from Detroit

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Strengths:    Very Strong...Light...Look sweet

Weaknesses:    None..as far as the plastic piece breaking..I dodn't think these other fools know how to tighten skewers...mild preassure is all thats needed..I do alot of freeriding, and xc and have NEVER had one problem..and I take my wheels off almost every day..that's ALOT of skewer use...

Bottom Line:
These are great rplacement skewers..IF you break ANYTHING on these...Goto your lbs ,and let the mechanic smack you in the head, and show you the PROPER way to tighten a skewer...IF you thinkyour wheels are wobbly and the skewer isn't holding tight...Check your wheels...Chances are you have some loose spokes..

Similar Products Used:   Salsa,Shimano super heavy crap..

Bike Setup:   It's big, it's rigid, and it's name is Dave...Frame by Kona

Submitted by 1500MPG from Michigan

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Plastic cam follower on non-release side cracked on both my front and back skewers after 1 year of use. I don't want my wheels comming off at speed!

Bottom Line:
I don't know why this product has a 4.2x rating, it's crap. Sure it looks good but I want something that lasts. I have Shimano plain jane skewers that are 15 years old and still going. Now I've got some KORE paperweights unless I can machine out some aluminumn replacements for the plastic crap cam followers.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Central Florida

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Plastic pieces

Bottom Line:
The price and looks is what really attracted me to these but I would not buy them again. The plastic piece broke on the rear. Bottom line is you get what you paid for.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Coda

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Cadd3, Race Face Cranks and seat post, Chris King hubs,Bontrager Mustang rims, Time ATAC Carbons, Flight Gel seat

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Strengths:    Machined Logo

Weaknesses:    Do not stay tight! They don't seem to lock when you close them.

Bottom Line:
The first time that I rode with these, I went to remove my front wheel to put my bike on my roof racks, and the skewer had loosened to the point that I could almost take the wheel off without opening it. I then checked the rear skewer and it was the same deal!

I am switching back to the old cheapies that I had on my last bike that worked, reliably, for over 6 years!

I have to give one chili for the safety factor. I have seen the effects a faulty front skewer can have on a person's face and teeth, ant let me tell you, it ain't pretty!

Similar Products Used:   Some cheap brand.

Bike Setup:   Products Skewered:
Front: Noleen Crosslink Smart Shock & White Industries Hub
Rear: Shimano LX 9 Speed Hub

Submitted by beer istastey a Cross Country Rider from columbia, south cackalaky

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    machined logo. super sassy looks, lightweight

Weaknesses:    it doesn't hold the wheel firm enough

Bottom Line:
these skewers are worse than the ones that came with my crossrides. even the stock shimano's do a better job(even both are heavier). the stupid things rotate even after insane amounts of pressure closing them. thanks to these poor excuses for skewers, i now have drop outs that have been grinded away on both my fork and bike. remember, there is a reason these are 20 bucks at price point. maybe i received a bad set of front and rear, but i do know one thing: i'm never going to use them again.

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   xt's, no name stock shimano's

Bike Setup:   crossrides, xt's on bonty's asm

Submitted by Nick a Racer from Niskayuna, NY

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Strengths:    Look sweet, hold the wheel on, light...they do what they are designed to do, what more can you ask?

Bottom Line:
For the price i got on Price Point ($20) they are the best skewer for your buck. Cro-Mo/Ti axles, look cool (big and burly, with KORE machined in), flip on and off smoothly, hold the wheel on. They won't make you go any faster, but i guess if your wheels fall off, you wouldn't be going very fast.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   '98 K2/Proflex 3000 Full suspension w/ noleen ELT, shimano hubs

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Louisville,KY

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Strengths:    Well made, and designed. Good cam action. Light & strong.

Weaknesses:    Havent found one yet.

Bottom Line:
I ride about everything from city to trails, but i do it all with a free spirit. Had these on for a year and no trouble. I like big hits and tight single track, so i beat on these real good. No problems, say no more! and by the way chicks dig them!

Bike Setup:   Spooky Pit Boss. Marzocchi Z1 X-Fly100. Race Face NextLP,BB,HS. Kore Elite seat post, Stem, riser bars. XT drivetrain. Sun Rhino LT laced to King's

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2000

Strengths:    everything you need

Bottom Line:
these are the closest thing to my stock shimano's only weigh a fraction as much. They have hard clamping that keeps your wheels on when you most need it. They are very trick looking and super light.
Thumbs up!! for these qr's

Similar Products Used:   old ringle

Bike Setup:   Cris king hubs with Kore elite qr's in black

Submitted by Ryan Noks from University Place, WA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2000

Strengths:    good price (for steel skewers at least)

Weaknesses:    Plastic piece broke in 2, making it useless.

Bottom Line:
IT looks like a lot of people have had good luck with these things, i did for a while until now. I have landed on them pretty hard a couple times, but i'm usung a good old shimno lx one now.

Favorite Trail:   Capital Forest