DT Swiss RWS Skewer

3.12/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 43 grams MSRP : $69.00

This RWS Thru Bolt w/Aluminum Lever is the latest version of DT's RWS technology. Where the standard RWS Thru Bolt uses a carbon reinforced plastic lever arm, you'll get a lever made from machined aluminum here. The weight is exactly the same, and you'll perhaps get more durability in the event of a crash with these alloy bits, not to mention the appeal of the more sculpted look.RWS stands for Ratchet Wheelmounting System. It has the look of a quick release (minus the springs), but in place of a lever attached to a cam, there's a lever attached to a bolt head. Turn the lever clockwise to tighten. When there is sufficient resistance (15nm), stop turning. Press the red button to position the lever in a place where it won't get knocked around. You're done, and the benefits are pretty obvious. It provides up to 50% greater clamping force than with a conventional quick release, which can be a great thing when riding a disc brake in front as it will resist the twisting forces better. And, they make it super easy to pop your wheels off your bike. The oversized shafts are high-strength, light weight 7075 aluminum, as are the lever arms. Want it off? Just start turning the lever counter-clockwise to loosen. The DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt w/ Aluminum Lever is available to fit three hub configurations -- Front 9x100mm, Rear 10x135mm, Rear 12x142mm (Syntace X-12 type). The weights are as follows: 49g (front 9 x 100) 63g (rear 10 x 135.)

Submitted by Zachariah a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2013

Strengths:    ~Set and forget functionality
~Skewer is extremely robust
~10mm x 100mm thru bolt version weighs only 53g
~2012 and up models now have lightweight alloy handle - simply pull away, to loosen
~No more plastic handles and red buttons to push

Weaknesses:    ~Price and availability

Bottom Line:
I'm reviewing the revised, 10mm thick, thru-bolt version with the alloy lever handle(2012-2013). I went this route, to effectively make my 15mm thru-axle front wheel fit inside a 9mmQR Rock Shox XX fork. Via an aftermarket axle adapter - the result is a stout, precision reduction, without the common bowing and bending problems associated with conventional, 5mm thin QR skewers.

In fact, the setup I now have shows absolutely NO DIFFERENCE from a standard 15mm Maxle Lite axle. The front end retains the identical stiffness and cornering stability of a full thru-axle fork and hub....but without the added weight. The fit once dialed-in, is 100% secure and requires no further adjustment until the wheel is to be removed. To remove the wheel - simply grasp the end nut, while pulling the spring-loaded lever outwards and away from the dropout. This facilitates repositioning the lever, so it can rotate away from the end nut.

Considering the prices of Maxle Lite and comparable 15mm thru axles, the DT Swiss RWS system is a real bargain, at under $40. Even the standard QR skewer version is made very well and possibly the last wheel retention device your bike will ever need. I ride my bike hard through epic trails and it simply feels SOLID time and again.

Favorite Trail:   Thomas Mountain/Ramona Trail

Duration Product Used:   One Year

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   ~Numerous titanium skewers

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro - Full SRAM XX

Submitted by PeT

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2012

Strengths:    Can crank it down so that the wheel is clamped tight even in Ti dropouts. Intuitive function

Weaknesses:    Sort of expensive, maybe not necessary with steel or aluminum dropouts.

Bottom Line:
I've only been riding with a rigid Ti fork for 8 years and know that the hub has been moving in the dropouts on occasion for about 4 of those years. Finally decided to do something about it after going through my in-house supply of skewers (Mavic, Salsa Flip-off (both steel and Ti), Shimano) and not having them work. The DT Swiss RWS steel skewer was able to clamp the wheel (I torqued it as tight as my skinny arms would take it) and hold it in there -- it takes something extra to grab on to Ti as compared to steel or aluminum. I'd use one of these on any bike, but have decided it's essential for clamping into Ti if you want to use a quick release.

Submitted by Hutch3637 a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2012

Strengths:    Keep wheel in drop outs very tight. Won't come loose like regular QR systems. Takes the guess work out of how tight, tight should be.

Weaknesses:    Haven't had any yet but if you over torque it you could strip it due to the way the RWS system works. Maybe the plastic handle if hit on a rock.

Bottom Line:
If your having your wheel come loose or wanting to tighten up your front or rear end this is a great system. Just be sure your easy when removing and tightening the set or you could potentially strip the system. Takes the guess work out of is my QR tight enough.

Similar Products Used:   Regular QR

Submitted by mountainbikeloco a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    very stiff and easy to use

Weaknesses:    the little red bolt that holds the lever on is brittle. Broke mine after 2.5 years of heavy use, but DT swiss sent me another assembly with no questions asked.

Bottom Line:
I have been using these skewers for many years with none of the problems listed in the other posts except for the broken bolt which broke because I overtightened it, the bolt holding the handle to the skewer. I am a big guy and have really cranked down on these suckers without coming close to stripping them. I have also had many crashes riding pretty chunky dirt whenever I can, and they work flawlessly. Based on my years of experience with the product, I can only assume that problems were the result of user error.

Bottom line: I have these on all my bikes and would recommend them to anyone looking to stiffen up their QR wheels.

Favorite Trail:   chunky dirt and rocks

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   tons of cam type skewers

Bike Setup:   BLT with an X0 drive train rolling i9s

Submitted by ssjohn a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, Excellent clamping force, durable.

Weaknesses:    Price! For the money the whole thing should be made of metal.

Bottom Line:
I was in the middle of a mountain biking trip and stopped in a bike shop in Grand Junction, CO looking for the allen key style lock-on skewers because I kept knocking my rear wheel around in the drop out with an XT skewer. After trying a few bike shops and not having any luck, one of the mechanics gave me the DT Swiss skewer out of their parts bin for free. It held up great for the remaining 3 months of that trip and has been trouble for the past year as well. I've been tightening the crap out of it and the rear wheel has not moved once since I started using this skewer. At one point it was even so tight I had to use a box end wrench for leverage to get it off. Other than hitting a large rock at high speed I don't see how you could break this thing.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   Somewhere in Grand J

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT, Salsa, no name stuff.

Bike Setup:   Soma 4one5 single speed with horizontal drop outs.

Submitted by Kr1x a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    Good clamping force, easier to use than QR. Stiffens front end noticeably.

Weaknesses:    None found

Bottom Line:
I used this skewer on the front end and I must say it's pretty good. I have a long history working on my own bikes so perhaps have a better feel for torques than people who grew up with quick releases. I think it is a good product and if you are breaking it then you must be doing it up stupidly tight or not engaging the ratchet fully. Overall it does what it's advertised to do, it stiffens the front end and has a high clamp force when done up snugly to hand tight. It is a neat bit of kit IMHO. It is definitely overpriced though.

Purchased At:   came with E2200 whee

Similar Products Used:   QR Standard, maxel light, ect.

Bike Setup:   XC/AM

Submitted by VA Kona a Cross Country Rider from Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffens up front end. Easy to get on and off.

Weaknesses:    Plastic handle vulnerable to impacts. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
I don't why everyone is having such trouble with this QR. I've been using it for 6 months or so and it works exactly as advertised.

I have had no problems with stripping the handle, breaking the handle or the wheel coming loose. I expect carelessness is responsible for most of the failures.

Love it and would buy it again.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab, Utah, USA

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   Standard QRs

Bike Setup:   2010 Trek FuelEX 9.8, w/ Fox 32 fork and custom 27.5" front wheel : D

Submitted by leggit a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Look nice??

Weaknesses:    The crap plastic levers that strip easily.

Bottom Line:
Ive hardly used these really, and for that alone i would never purchase them again, im not sure how the rear stripped, it just did just as i was fitting my wheel ready for a ride.
Luckily the front was ok so i tightened the rear with the front lever!!!
Pile o sh#t never purchase them again.

Favorite Trail:   Switzerland!!!

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Spec Stumpy Carbon Pro 2008

Submitted by Bonkler a Cross Country Rider from Hurley, NY

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    Looks nice

Weaknesses:    Plastic crap engagement fails just like everyone else's and torx backup removal point straight-up snapped off. Product is not up to the task of regular removal and installation

Bottom Line:
Won't buy this again. Failed me miserably. 6 months of use with minimal rear wheel removal. Overpriced too. Backup torx removal point sheared off with minimal pressure applied. Rear wheel is currently stuck on my bike! Not looking forward to seeing the metal shavings from my frame when I wrench this turd off.

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   No other RWS type products exist. Other skewers used: Salsa, Hope, Sette

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, DT 5.1D wheelset

Submitted by opus3 a Weekend Warrior from Dallas

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Looks Good

Weaknesses:    Horrible design rear wheel came off while rolling over a small rock garden. Not able to get a feel for how tight it is when installing unlike a standard lever type skewer.

Bottom Line:
Plan to replace soon

Bike Setup:   S-Works SL Enduro

Submitted by poosa a Weekend Warrior from victoria Australia

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    keeps things tight, larger diameter axle is stiffer. stands out in a crowd.

Weaknesses:    gouges out dropouts, plastic ratchet is just plain stupid, slow to do up and undo, pricey.

Bottom Line:
Had problems with my dt swiss q.r. skewers going loose. So went for these ones. Was able to ignore the metal shavings coming off my frame when tightening skewers for a little while as I was happy with how they rode. That was untill I was on a bit of an epic ride and had a flat. The teeth on the ratcheting system slipped then rounded staight off as I was UNDOING the wheel. This meant that I had to walk home (and I hate walking)as I couldnt change a pissy little flat. Needless to say the day was over for me.
Problem would be almost non existent if the teeth on the ratcheting system were all alloy or chromolly.
Also need to change the way the skewers dig into dropouts when tightening as this really does cause issues with the frame.

Favorite Trail:   Creesy climb

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   regular dt swiss skewers, mavic, shimano.

Bike Setup:   Merida hard tail, reba fork, full xt driveline, dt wheels

Submitted by vigla2002 a Cross Country Rider from Greece

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    easy to use

Weaknesses:    Plastic Lever, ratchet mechanism rounded on first use!!!!!

Bottom Line:
upgraded to 240 rear hub with 10X135 thru bolt skewer for a stiffer ride, but had same problem as previews reviewer. Plastic ratchet teeth failed, had to tighten skewer using the bolt until I get something rugged. Very dissapointed of
quality. I think that if plastic lever and teeth were made of aluminium and metal respectively it would of been a great skewer. Didn't realize how sensitive it was, so watch out on force applied to tighten the skewer.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   normal QR, DT Swiss, Shimano

Bike Setup:   All Mountain

Submitted by CJA a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    Looks nice

Weaknesses:    Plastic 'ratchet' mechanism rounded almost immediately

Bottom Line:
The system failed before i even got to a trail to find out whether it stiffened up the front end - no doubt I was a bit keen to tighten it to get the promised benefit, and it promptly rounded the plastic teeth in the handle which interface with the metal ones on the skewer meaning it couldn't be tightened properly. I would have thought having it nice and tight was the whole point - apparently not. If you own one, be careful about how much force you apply otherwise you might end up in the same position. In my view either get a 15 or 20mm axle/fork combo or stick with the 'normal' QRs...

Similar Products Used:   Hope, Specialized, Shimano QR

Bike Setup:   PACE RC405

Submitted by burnout a Weekend Warrior from Barcelona (Catalunya)

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Good looking

Weaknesses:    Plastic Lever

Bottom Line:
this is for the 10mm RWS, but I guess is valid for all RWS products.

I only used 2 rides. The second ride, I fall and the lever broke in pieces. My previous Hope lever has suffered similar stuff and did not broke.

Plastic lever is weak. I talked with DT Swiss and they did NOTHING. Please redesign the lever and use Alu or Ti !!!

Come on!! This is a 10mm axle, supposed to be used in a tough environment. Broken on the first fall.... Not acceptable at this price.

I will buy a Hadley 10mm axle to replace this DT.

Favorite Trail:   anyone