Home | Reviews | Skewer | Cook

3.93/5 (15 Reviews)

Cook Brothers ti Skewers

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Clamping power, range of motion.

Bottom Line:
I've owned one set of these and returned two, and I can say that tolerances of these babies aren't too tight. The ones I used for a year or so are tightest at about 5 to 10 degrees from closed, which means that as you close them down all the way they actually get a little looser! The two I returned were tightest when sticking straight out. Stick with Salsas-they look just as good and are much much stronger.

Similar Products Used:   Salsa, XT, ultegra.

Submitted by J. Salmon a Weekend Warrior from Chapel Hill, NC

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2000

Strengths:
Pretty
Light

Weaknesses:
Limited range of motion

Bottom Line:
These sure are pretty, and I have the full set with seat collar too. My gripe is that they don't have enough range of motion - moving the lever does not clamp down very tight. I will be dumping the seat collar clamp because it wont hold the seat in tight enough unless I crank it way down, in which case it doesn't open up enough to release the seat (so whats the point?). I have similar problems with the rear. If it is on tight enough to hold the wheel (we are not talking cranking it down, just snug), it does not release enough to remove the wheel when it is opened. That's not what I call a quick release. They are pretty and light, so I'll give 'em three.

3 months

Shimano

Merlin Fat Beat

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Strengths:
the looks rock!!!
really light, and strong

Weaknesses:
a bit pricey

Bottom Line:
these skewers matches my CB cranks, and they look really nice.It has a really strong hold, way better than my previous XT... and it's really light!!! Worth the price

3 months

XT

Submitted by UniBomber Bob from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well, I just got off the phone with Cook Brothers cause I broke a front skewer yesterday putting on the front wheel. It had over a year's worth of hard riding usage with no problems experienced. They are sending me a replacement WITHOUT requiring me to send them the broken skewer. I felt the need to clarify their replacement policy after reading Ed Raymonds review from September 9, 1998.

Submitted by Ed Raymond a racer from Shrewsbury VT

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

Cook Brothers no longer stands behind the skewers. I had the front break while removing my wheel (road bike). I owned the skewers for 3 weeks. I called Cook and they said sorry, but we longer take broken skewers in under warranty. The reasoning is that the skewers are broken by pilot error i.e. overtightening. NOT WORTH THE PRICE FOR 3 WEEKS USE AND NO WARRANTY

Submitted by Gary Denton a cross-country rider from Rockville, MD

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

These Cook's skewers are great. I have had mine for a year with no problems. I have a pair of Cook's cranks and my skewers match them and look just as Cool. The poeple at Cooks Bros. are really cool too. The only gripe I have is the price, but you get what you pay for.

Submitted by John Hinman a cross-country rider from Kent, CT

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had a set of these for a year, and they work at least as well as any other titanium skewer, but like all ti skewers, they are limited. I have an Obed, and neither my Cooks levers nor the Specialized units I had before them could hold the wheel in the dropouts securely--pedal hard and the wheel pops out. I attribute the problem to a very hard, smooth dropout, but since I traded my rear lever with a friend for his LX, I haven't had any problems. The one I have up front has a very nice feel and look. I should also say that I recently called CBR for some advice in fitting up one of their cromo bottom brackets, and they could not have been nicer--fine folks. If you're in the market for ti skewers, your income had best be disposable. For clamping power and a great feel, I'd look at steel Salsas or the Shimano bits that have always been headache-free.

Submitted by Dennis a cross-country rider from Highland, MI

Date Reviewed: February 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased these skewers when they came out and had been happy with my other Cook Bros. purchases. I have had no problem with the skewers but over time they have looked quite dated and worn. I ended up missing my stock XTR skewers shortly after replacing them with these and will be placing them up for sale in the ads shortly.

Submitted by pete a cross-country rider from Mi

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1997

Bottom Line:

these are the best.these are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the bestthese are the best

Submitted by Jim Gates a downhiller from Santa Barbara, Ca.

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1997

Bottom Line:

Cooks skewers look cool but dont hold up!!!!!!!

Submitted by Brent Long from Kankakee, IL

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

Kudos to Cook Bros for excellent customer service!! As I was putting on my front skewer before a ride the lever snapped off in my hand. I called Cook Bros and they promptly sent me a new one. So far I've have no problems with the new one. These skewers look great and function well. Did I mention that they look cool?

Submitted by Phi a racer from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

Awesome.....not only the looks but also the performance. Worth the price!!!

Submitted by Trent Paulk a racer from Auburn,Al

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

These skewers just rock ASS!!! Plain and simple, I love 'em! They are light, strong, very smooth, and they work great! I have a short story to tell about the guys at Cook Brothers. When I first got my Cook Qr's I had an old Rock Shox Mag 21 ( with relatively THIN dropouts). Well, when I put the front Qr on I had a little excess sticking out on the threaded end of the Qr. So, I cut it off. Well a few months later I got a new fork. The Manitou FS had much thicker dropouts and my front Qr was too short, OH NO!!! Well I called Cook Brothers and told them EXACTLY what I just told you and he says, Aw, don't wory
about, we'll just send you another one and call it a warranty. I only wanted to see if I could buy just another front Qr, and they sent me another one NO charge!! How about that for service. I say It kicks ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Aaron Leighton a cross-country rider from San Luis Obispo, CA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

My wife and I both have a set on our bikes. One of the few aftermarket (read: non-Shimano) skewer sets that actually works smoothly and efficiently. Beautiful designed lever is a miniature version of their R cranks and is laser etched with the Cook Bros. logo. Up there with the Salsa's skewers.

Submitted by Jan Kihle a cross-country rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

Very well made QR's with an appealing smooth design (Mini crank arms - Art Noveau of bike components!). Logos are engraved into the mini crank arms after anodizing. The rear skewer bolt is made of Ti-alloy, whereas the front bolt is made of Cr-Mo steel. Note that these skewers do not click into correct position as several others do, however, following the instruction sheet instalation is a piece of cake! NB! You probably will have to cut excessive skewer length to fit exactly your wheel width. A seatpost QR in the very same design and colors will be available from November-96. A decade-proof design. Say no more!! By the way, if you are lucky to own a 95' Marine Pine Mountain the cobaslt blue version the these skewers matches exactly the original color blue color of the Pine barends, water bottles etc.

Fitting bob trailers on 142+ skewers?

Looks like you can do it now. [url=http://www.robertaxleproject.com/how-it-works/]The Robert Axle Project How It Works - The Robert Axle Project[/url]Read More »

Qr skewers with horizontal dropouts

Putting together a SS build, and I have heard that only external cam QR skewers should be used on horizontal dropouts, but I can't find any Shimano skewers that are external cam, only internal. I have chain tensioners, so I'm not worried about wheel slippage when riding- only when braking with BB ... Read More »

Loose skewers

Several times I find my skewers coming loose during a ride. Stock skewers, and I tighten them pretty good. Any ideas? 2012 Trek SF AL Elite. Stock skewers.Read More »

Loose skewers

2012 SF 100 AL Elite. Several times I find my skewers coming loose during a ride. Stock skewers, and I tighten them pretty good. Any ideas?Read More »

lightweight ti skewers that you trust?

I understand some significant weight can be saved on lightweight ti skewers over standard xt skewers, and the cost is pretty low. Front skewer is unsprung weight too (on a hardtail) What do you run and trust?, there's no shortage of ti skewers on ebay.Read More »