Control Tech Ti Race Skewer

3.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Weight: 47 Grams/set
Road or Mountain: 100/130/135 available.
5mm Hex Key Release

Submitted by timbuktu a Racer from Planet Earth

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2011

Strengths:    Light but durable

Weaknesses:    Obviously it's not a "quick" release, but willing to use the allen wrench if need be.

Bottom Line:
As long as it does the job, I'm happy. No issues over the many years in use. I highly recommend the product.

Bike Setup:   18.5 lb Scott Spark Team Issue HMX. DT Swiss world champ forks. DT Swiss XRC 1250 Wheelset. Magura Marta SL Mag brakes. Titanium cassette. KNC Ti chain. X.O trigger and rear derail. XRT Front. FSA 2x9 crank. 4Ti CB.

Submitted by Joules a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    Light, tidy, well made.
Published weights are accurate, rear skewer 25g versus 26g claimed.

Weaknesses:    No torque values for installation.

Bottom Line:
No fitting issues.
Length - threaded end of bolt just protrudes from top of end cap on both front and rear when skewers are tight. So no issues with skewer length for my set-up.
Diameter - Mavic skewers were 4.7mm, these were 4.9mm and fitted the C'max SL hub perfectly.
Weight of the two new skewers plus one standard length 5mm allen key(25g) is still lighter than the original Mavic QR's.
Fitted these for greater torsional stiffness in the fork, especially in 140mm travel, but don't have any feedback yet on whether there is any noticeable improvement.
Given that they are a premium part and the consequences of over-tightening I was surprised that no torque settings were quoted either on the website or with the installation instructions. Have tightened to 12nm but will up-date if I get anything more definite from Manufacturer.
Sitting on the fence for now on the scores. If I get an improvement in torsional stiffness and a recommended torque setting from the Manufacturer/CRC the scores will go up.

Purchased At:   Chain reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Shimano, and Rolf QR's but first time using bolt-up type.

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius MC10 (8mm thick rear dropouts) with 2008 Fox 100-140mm Talas Fork (7mm thick dropouts) with Mavic C'max SL disc wheels (centrelock).

Submitted by Peter West a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2009

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Too short to use in a fork like Fox RLC with 7mm thick dropouts.
Slow changing of wheels.
Unable to contact manufacturer trought their website.

Bottom Line:
Ok, so I admit, bought this skewers to shave some weight to my previous QR, the Mavic QR.

So now I had a pair skewers with only 46g but that demand time to install/remove the wheel. I knew taht before ordering them.

The big problem is the front axle, is to short. Have to remove the lock nut to install in my fork. After installation from 10mm available I can only use 3 to 4mm, too short. It seems too risky to use only 3mm of aluminium thread specially in the front wheel.

I am considering to return them because of the front axle, it is just too short to use with a XC suspension fork.

After feedback from the store and/or Control Tech I may do a follow up.

Purchased At:   Online Store

Similar Products Used:   Shimano STX, Shimano LX, Sram, Mavic Composite's

Bike Setup:   Scott Spark, Full XTR, DT240 Hubs, ZTR Olympic, Hope Mono Mini brakes, Ritchey WCS all around.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, MO USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Very light (47 grams/pair)
Strong
No quick-release lever to catch on trail obstacles

Weaknesses:    Allen heads can distort if you over-tighten them (found out the hard way)

Bottom Line:
If you don't need to have a quick-release lever on your skewers, these are a great option. They're incredibly light, yet strong enough to last a long time. I've used mine since '99, and they are still straight and in great shape despite taking a reglar pounding down rock gardens.

The only issue I've had was my own fault, when I over-tightened them a few times. The Allen-head became distorted, but they've still fit my Allen wrenches for years since.

Similar Products Used:   OEM garbage

Bike Setup:   Fisher SuperCaliber

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Carmel, IN

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2005

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    Too fat for my King hub.

Bottom Line:
I bought these to use on my Scott CR1 road bike. They were the ideal replacement for the boat anchors that came with my Ksyrium Elites. And they fit these hubs fine, if just ever so slightly snug. But I was quite surprised to discover that they were too thick to even go through the King hubs on my mountain bike. And they are the mountain version of the skewer, not that it should matter. So I guess I won't being buying a second set and will stick with the salsa's. 50 grams heavier and 50 bucks richer, no biggie. But I will have to give this otherwise great skewer a resounding thumbs down for being too fat to work with the mountain biking's premier hub.

Favorite Trail:   Laurel Mountain/Pilot Rock

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Salsa.

Bike Setup:   Hammerhead 100x

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Strengths:    super light, minimalist, easy to use

Weaknesses:    need to carry a 5 mm allen key, slower wheel changes as compared to quick releases. These make the theft of your wheels more difficult.

Bottom Line:
These are perfect for weight weenies although they're not good for racing because wheel changes are slow. If you ride where part theft is an issue, these releases would slow a wheel thief down a bit. However, for the ultimate in security and light weight, Kryptonite makes a similar quick release set that require a unique keychain wrench to remove your wheels.