Control Tech Carbon/Ti Quick Release Skewer Skewer

Weight: 65 Grams/set
Road or Mountain: 100/130/135 available.
Carbon Handle/Ti Shaft

Submitted by axel koch a Cross Country Rider from Chamonix, Haute savoie, France

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2008

Strengths:    Further to my last review:
These are light and strong, but the QR levers are carbon, and I believe not suited to repeated levering on and off without some type of bushing.

Weaknesses:    The QR lever on this model

Bottom Line:
As this is a follow up review, I would like to give high marks to the company, as they are sending me a new set of skewers with an improved lever.
We will see, but very good customer service, so I wanted to ammend my previous review!

Favorite Trail:   The Alps and Telluride

Purchased At:   mallorca, spain

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, mavic

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpy elite, xt rapid rise, juicy 7, Crossmax ST

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2008

Strengths:    The rod is strong

Weaknesses:    The levers suck! Mine broke without any impact. WEAK!

Bottom Line:
Being an American in Europe, I am a little saddened by this US made product.
Bike shops here don't warranty what they sell, so l will see if Control Tech comes through with a warranty claim. Problem is, I will have to pay duty if they send a new one! In the meantime I have to bite the bullit and buy another set....maybe Hope this time around.

Favorite Trail:   The Alps and Telluride

Purchased At:   Palma de Mallorca Spain

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Ti, Mavic

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpy Elite, Full Shimano XT rapid rise, Mavic Crossmax ST, Avid Juicy 7

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Strengths:    Very light weight for a quick release. Awesome looks. Very strong axle shaft (for XC)

Weaknesses:    Carbon fiber lever begins to fatigue after quite a bit of use. Graphics arn't bullet proof.

Bottom Line:
If you've got money to burn you can't buy a better QR then Control Techs. They are built very high quality. I've taken my bike off of many 4-5 foot drops at full speed and the axle held up well. They lasted 2 years until the carbon fiber handle finally got a fracture and cracked in half. The handle is the only down side to this product (although it is probabaly the reason these QR's are so light). They lasted me 2 years or race abuse but be for warned that the carbon handle tends to fatigue after awhile.

Favorite Trail:   Hillside Park, Elk River

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Ti's, Sette Ti, ext.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500

Submitted by Terry a Cross Country Rider from Lake Forest, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Strengths:    Very lightweight and strong (during riding).

Weaknesses:    Requires grease in order to last.

Bottom Line:
I've probably put a couple of thousand miles on these skewers and ride quite hard. Even though I ride/race XC I enjoy some technical riding with the occasional huck. The skewers are strong and will hold up. HOWEVER: I've learned that the Carbon (lever) to delrin contact eats away at the carbon after awhile..Eventually the QR will become worn to the point that it doesn't feel secure. I HIGHLY recommend using grease to protect the lever. I ride 5-6 times a week and have my front wheel off that many times. Each and every time I wipe it clean and add a bit of grease. Yes, a pain in the butt, but if you're a weight weenie i guess it's no big deal.

Favorite Trail:   Chiquito (part of the San Juan system)

Purchased At:   The Path Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   KORE Titanium Skewers, XTR, etc.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic S-Works.

Submitted by john sapienza a Cross Country Rider from chula vista

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight 69 gr/pair

Weaknesses:    The carbon fiber handle broke clear off while disengaging the clamp release. Arggghhh.

Bottom Line:
Mine broke completely after only one month of use. No good in my opinion. I'm giving this a fair since the other skewer hasn't broke.

Similar Products Used:   giant, american classic
now I'm using USE spin stix w/o a hitch.

Bike Setup:   blur xc, sid worldcup, stans ztr 355/AC hubs, extralite crankset, extralite the post, extralite ultrabar, extralite the head, marta sl's w/stans rotors, slr seat.

Submitted by Travis a Cross Country Rider from Decorah, IA USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2005

Strengths:    Super light weight, cool look for carbon lovers.

Weaknesses:    Shaft length is too short for any frame I've put them in. Carbon levers cracked.

Bottom Line:
On the length issue, possibly I recieved a road set in an mtb package. I don't blame the shop, I work there. If anything, it's just a mix up on Control Tech's part. Maybe they're just super short, so they can be super light. Also, the levers both cracked after a few times of taking the wheels on and off. They still work, it's just a bit too shady for me. It looks like it just isn't the right place for carbon. And as Salsa always recommends, don't use Ti for full suspension, keep to the steel.

Favorite Trail:   Yup, we ride 'em all