Bontrager QR Skewer

2.4/5 (25 Reviews)

Bontrager QR

Submitted by jimonthecake a Racer from mn

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    crap. just like their seatpost clamp. crap.

Weaknesses:    wheel moves around no matter how tight it is calmped. just like the seat post clamp did.

Bottom Line:
worked good for almost a year and now the wheel moves around. you couldn't tighten it anymore than it has been. tried on another bike and wheel - same prob. junk just like all the bontrager junk i had to replace.

Submitted by joel a Racer from phoenixville, pa

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2008

Strengths:    they work and work well

Weaknesses:    um.......maybe weight

Bottom Line:
I normally do not feel the need to review skewers, however after reading the reviews on these I think it is necessary.

I have used these skewers on every bike I own because:
1) they are cheap
2) they work
3) they last

I ride very hard and race some 20+ mTB races per year and put more than 3000 MTB miles per year on my bike. I have never had these come loose, bend, break, or strip. maybe I have been lucky or maybe folks who have problems are doing something wrong, I don't know. I will not buy another skewer until these FINALLY give in, and then I will buy some more bontrager ones because they work and work well. I say try them. if you don't like them you are only out $10-$15 and if you dont then your still only out $10-$15.

Purchased At:   bikeline

Similar Products Used:   various other types

Bike Setup:   who cares

Submitted by Roman from Tallinn, Estonia

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2006

Strengths:    Its almost all metal, no plastic weak parts.. and looks strong

Weaknesses:    It has unlocked itself... and i tightened it pretty good

Bottom Line:
I will throw away Bontrager skewer, after ill buy a new reliable one !

Purchased At:   eBike

Similar Products Used:   Quando, Brave Machine

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa GSD with my setup

Submitted by Matt Fulks a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City, OK

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Strengths:    Looks okay

Weaknesses:    Weak! They break, hard to get tightened right.

Bottom Line:
These skewers came stock on my 2002 Trek 8000. I had just taken a shuttle out to the beginning of the Womble trail in Arkansas with a group or four other guys. I went to put my front wheel on and SNAP! The stupid skewer broke right there out in the middle of nowhere! These things have always been hard to get adjusted right. Fortunately, somebody was nice enough to go back to camp and get an old skewer out of their tool box. I took my back one off to look at it and it is bent! WTF?!? I'm getting some Salsa skewers ASAP!

Purchased At:   Al's Bicycles

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 8000

Submitted by ANdy Ash a Cross Country Rider from OP, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Strengths:    I guess a strength is that they were free - Came on Bike

Weaknesses:    Weight - S curve design is difficult to fullt close against dropout

Bottom Line:
These skewers suck, the rear skewer was either bent when I got it, or bent while riding in the first few weeks. The rear wheel begin rubbing the inside of the chain stay and eventually led to or contributed to my having to warranty the entire frame after the wheel carved a nice notch inside my chainstay. Replace them. I contacted Bontrager to find out where they sold skewers (originally thinking they would be fine as long as I got new Straight! ones) and their crap response was that they sold them through retailers - well duh, moron! No help from those Chumps.

Purchased At:   C O B

Similar Products Used:   Performance Q-Stix, Shi-mama XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Yeti Fro - Lots of Upgrades , YA YA YA . . .

Submitted by Captain Phun a Cross Country Rider from Superfund, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Strengths:    Not a one.

Weaknesses:    Rear quick release snapped. Had to carry bike home for 2 miles. Thanks (not thanks actually) to the roadies who rode past and didn't ask if I needed a tool or anything. Roadies are cheesey.

Bottom Line:
Take these off your bike NOW! they will break and fail and cause you to carry your bike. What is up keith? These are pure junk. Hang your head.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, specialized.

Bike Setup:   Yeti FRO, blah blah blah...light stuff on it.

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    I like the big lever even if it does add a little weight. I possibly couldn't care less about scarring skewers--because they're just skewers people!--but they've held up pretty well.

Weaknesses:    Cascading Bontrager component breakage (and whatever hasn't broken hasn't performed well). I've never seen anything like this before. I've decided that the Bontrager rims, bars, and stem are reliable and good, but as for the rest, I'm replacing whatever doesn't bust before my warranty runs out in April. I love TREK bikes, but next time I'm going with a frameset and building the rest myself so long as they stick with this Bontrager stuff. I'm really disappointed because Bontrager is a very reputable guy in the cycling biz--love the saddles, love the rims, and anything else that doesn't have moving parts, but anything mechanical seems to be made of cheese.

Bottom Line:
I just came on here to check if I should really replace my skewers after so many bad experiences with Bontrager parts in the first 1000 miles--cross-country. I was going to buy new skewers for the new bike, then put the Bontragers on my beater like I did with the crank that busted an arm after being used for commuting on paved roads, but after reading these reviews I know better.

Thanks all.

Favorite Trail:   Earth

Purchased At:   Stock on my 2002 TREK 8000

Similar Products Used:   I've always stuck with whatever stock skewers came on my bikes and never had a problem other than wanting them to be lighter in weight. This is the first time I'm actually concerned about 'skewer performance'--which sounds funny even to mention.

Bike Setup:   Beater bike: TREK 1995 cro-moly frame which came with a Shimano STX drive chain I never felt needed replacing. Never had a problem with this bike or any of it's components; I give it abuse, and it gives me love and reliability.

My fly ride: 2002 TREK 8000 which I bought in April and have since learned the names of the warranty people at TREK by heart. The frame is AMAZING! and any parts that didn't have the Bontrager name on them have worked out well--which is funny because those were the parts I was going to change initial, but didn't.

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Trappe, PA.

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Price...it came stock.

Weaknesses:    Went to tighten the rear Bontrager QR and it snapped!!! Could have been alot worse...only a 2 mile walk home!

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favor...If you have these on your bike now, replace them now. A small price to pay for what could be a long walk home.

Similar Products Used:   Dimension as a replacement

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 stock w/ Serfas Drifter road tires.

Submitted by Remy Wetherup a Cross Country Rider from Mississauga

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Weaknesses:    Poor quality. Don't lock on the frame very well

Bottom Line:
Very disappointed with these skewers. Twice they have unlocked themselves while riding. Crashed both times because of them. I've ordered a set of Salsa. Shame on Trek for putting these on my bike

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 98 with Hayes hydraulic brakes, Thompson seatpost & stem, Easton Monkey Lite riser bar, Chris King hub, Selle Italia XO, Yeti grips, Conti tires

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from Dayton, Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Strengths:    ?????

Weaknesses:    Short throw
Ugly after one or 2 rides (soft aluminum)
They break, leaving you 10 miles from civilization (in the snow)

Bottom Line:
These skewers had a very short throw, so you have to turn the knob a bunch of times to tighten. Not a big deal, Shimano XT are about the same.

The metal is very soft, so athough they look nice new, the metal is very soft, causing them to scar easily. Again, not a big deal.

The real problem occurred when I was out for a rare snow ride. I felt the rear wheel clanking. I was thrilled to see that the threads had stripped from the nut. I guess this metal is soft too. I never overtighted the skewers, and kept them properly lubed.

That day I discovered that you cannot ride without a rear skewer. Fortunately, I was able to steal a nut from another part of my bike and limp home.

I can't believe that Keith would put his name on this.

Favorite Trail:   Baker Ck

Purchased At:   Came with wheels

Similar Products Used:   Control Tech (great)
Shimano XT (work just fine)

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight

Submitted by matt a Racer from zion

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    still lookin for one???

Weaknesses:    These are the worst skewers on the market. I rode them for about 1 yr. No problems then all of a sudden i had problems with the wheel staying in line with the frame. found out that the skewer was stripped and made the wheel shift in the frame.

Bottom Line:
If your looking for anything on your bike why waste time wondering if you should spend more. Just do it and it'll save your arse in the long run. Basically BUY SALSA!!!

Favorite Trail:   any downhill or singletrack

Purchased At:   zion schwinn

Similar Products Used:   ---

Bike Setup:   xt er thing

Submitted by Perry a Weekend Warrior from San Leandro, CA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2002

Strengths:    Looks nice and clean... compared to the Shimano skewer I got to replace my broken Bontrager skewers!

Weaknesses:    Broke the rear skewer in under 150 miles (2 weeks of ownership)

Bottom Line:
Well, seeing as how my Trek is my first "real" MTB, skewers would be one of the things I thought I could take for granted. Unfortunately, 'tis not so, and the skewer snapped while I was tightening the wheel back on. I didn't even use that much force! Less than the amount recommended in the manual, even. Fortunately, the skewer didn't snap while riding. My friend is recommending me Salsa skewers, we'll see how those go. I will be wary of these pieces in the future, I suggest those with Bontrager skewers also keep this in mind.

3 value chilis because the price is right (comes stock...) 2 overall chilis because the unit looks decent, but performs like crap.

Favorite Trail:   Still Looking

Purchased At:   Palo Alto Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Normal Shimano QR skewers

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 6700, stock

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
All I'll say is that these skewers are rather lightweight for steel; 98g combined for the pair.

Similar Products Used:   stock skewers (heavy muthers, at 190g)

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from brick

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Strengths:    they worked until the front one broke

Weaknesses:    the front skewer snapped when i went to tighten it today so i stuck an old school shimano on there

Bottom Line:
if they came on your bike then swap em out or wait until they broke hopefull not while riding, i got lucky

Purchased At:   djs