American Classic Steel Skewer Skewer

1.86/5 (7 Reviews)
Weight : 56 grams MSRP : $17.50

Anodized black, blue, red, purple, gold, or silver.

Submitted by geoffmayne a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Strengths:    Doesn't explode into tiny shards, and hasn't attacked my cats. Also, it contains virtually no radioactive elements, and it has never, never, ever eaten a chocolate chip cookie I was saving.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't actually clamp with any reliability.

Bottom Line:
When twisting to tighten, before clamping, the lever can move relative the surface it clamps against. Thus, you can clamp it shut, and it won't be seated. Then, as you ride on a bumpy surface (yes, I have done such a crazy thing!) the wheel develops an odd wobble. Sure enough, the quick release has become loose.

I'd say avoid it like the plague, but the plague never caused my wheel to become loose.

Favorite Trail:   Miner's Ridge

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Submitted by Ride_2_Fast a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    They are extremely hard to close and they loosen while riding

Bottom Line:
Amer. Classic make good wheels, but their skewers and useless.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2007

Strengths:    I think they were cheap...

Weaknesses:    Becomes impossibly difficult to open or close. Slightly smaller diameter than the Salsa skewers I replaced them with. Weak.

Bottom Line:
With these skewers, toward the end of my ownership of them, I avoided going on some rides just because of how much of an utter pain it was to get my wheel off and on to rack it on my car. When I decided enough was enough, I had to use a monstrous set of vice grips to make a foot-long lever to open them. Ridiculous.

Meanwhile, while I wouldn't call myself a smooth rider, I'm 160 lbs and just ride trails, and don't do intentionally retarded stuff. My wheels have only needed very minor true jobs, and while my 4.1 rims have a good reputation for strength vs weight, they are by no means burly hoops. Both my front and rear skewers were bent.

I switched these out for Salsa skewers. The Salsas have a bigger diameter, and are a nice snug fit in the hubs, which makes me think these AMC's were just too thin. My steering and tracking feel a little stronger now, and my Hope M4s, which were Banshees running the AMC's, are now dead silent.

These are the only skewers I have ever actually formed an opinion on, and unfortunately that's because they completely suck.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, WTB, Salsa, etc.... this is the only skewer I've ever actually formed an opinion on.

Bike Setup:   Titus MotoLite, running DT 240s hubs laced to DT 4.1 rims.

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    Solid, Rigid, Tough

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavier than others, but the toughness and rigidity comes at a price.

Bottom Line:
I saw the reviews blasting this scewer and had to chime in. The one I have is designed for their suspension disc hub and it works great. The plastic screw that is on the opposite side of the skewer on the bolt has never given me a single problem, it has a stainless steel knarled edge for contact on the fork and the threads are steel. This product isn't all blingy, but it works and works very very well.

Favorite Trail:   Frederick Watershed