Home | Reviews | Rim | WTB

WTB SX 24 Rim

3.56/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 460g MSRP : $14.99

The disc-only SX24 weighs little more than a top-level XC race rim at 460-grams, but is available at a fraction of the price. It is also available in a 700c model that weighs 505-grams.

32 Holes

Submitted by Keith Pagan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2014

Strengths:    Long-lasting, Strong.

Weaknesses:    Scratch easily

Bottom Line:
Had these for nearly 4 years on my giant rincon then on my gt avalanche 3.0, never failed on me with cross country and light trials. Brilliant looking disc only rims strong enough for any daily riders.

Bike Setup:   GT avalanche 3.0

Submitted by Charles Evelyn

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2012

Strengths:    Pretty Light and holds up great to light trail use.

Weaknesses:    If you looking to do any aggressive trail riding, jumping, drops, or rock gardens these rims will not hold up. I have had to retrue this wheels when ever I do a trail that is hard on the bike.

Bottom Line:
All and all if one isn't interested in doing jumps or any aggressive trail riding this are great entry level rims.

Submitted by James

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    Have coped with my 110kg weight, look good

Weaknesses:    Scratch easily

Bottom Line:
Have done well over 14,000km with these original rims and hubs (M475) on my 2009 GT Av1.
I am not the type of rider who goes for big air but equally I am not a pansy and ride hard on the rocky trails where I live. Look after them and service the M475 hub every 300km and they will last a long, long time!

Submitted by DamnHippie a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Strengths:    Dont have the knowledge yet

Weaknesses:    Bent after light use

Bottom Line:
I thought it came untrue after some light trail riding, but after taking it the the shop for truing and them not being able to straighten it out i realized that it was bent. (they did not mention this to me! :( . I could still ride it but i on really messed up spoke tension. I will be replacing them with something different.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   RSCYCLES.COM

Bike Setup:   Came with bike, 2007 Iron Horse Warrior 5.0

Submitted by IHBrian a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2010

Strengths:    Light, looks

Weaknesses:    Bend easy, weak

Bottom Line:
I can bend these without even trying. I only weigh 185, but if I come down with moderate force, they will wobble like theres no tomorrow. I would go with something stronger.

Favorite Trail:   North Burma - Anadel

Purchased At:   CL

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   2005 Iron Horse Warrior Comp tricked out (except wheels...)

Submitted by Ecogeek a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Fine for lighter riders even on longer advanced intermediate rocky mountain trails. Strong for stock rims on cheaper bike.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These are on the Mrs' bike. They came with CRAPPY Shimano 475 disc hubs (32 hole). I know the rims intimately as I check and true all our wheels etc. These have held up fine to XC use by a 140lb (loaded) rider for a couple of seasons - 2.1" tires. The hubs did not do so well. The rims are now used for commuting, thanks to those weak hubs. That's a shame as they're fine rims for the lighter, less aggressive (read female) rider. They may hold up to heavier stuff too, but they've not had the pleasure/pain of me riding them in the mountains, so I can't say if they can stand my weight, speed, or more aggressive style.
Another wheelset with better hubs (Sun SOS/Disc Jockey) is on mountain duty on the Mrs's bike. When the hubs that came with the SX24 rims completely die, I'll rebuild the wheels with better hubs and the undamaged SX24s will get back into the mountains to live out their days. I wouldn't choose these rims if I were building a wheelset for me (180lbs), but if they come with your bike and you're not too heavy, I wouldn't go out of your way to change them - unless the hubs are as weak as the shimano 475, in which case you're going to need another wheelset for proper mountain use sooner or later (probably sooner) - but that wouldn't be the rim's fault. Ride 'em.

Purchased At:   LBS came w Marin bik

Similar Products Used:   Sun Blackeye. Sun SOS.

Bike Setup:   Partially customised Marin XC hardtail.

Submitted by crr8yrider a Downhiller from Lancaster CA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Very druable light and reliabe, great rim for any kind of riding, weither its across town to work or down an insane mountain. This rim gets the job done

Weaknesses:    can/t put a beefy tire on to shred

Bottom Line:
This is a great rim AAA+++ if you bend it you must be riding or doing somehting wrong

Favorite Trail:   Canada