Home | Reviews | Rim | WTB

WTB SpeedDisc Rim

3.12/5 (42 Reviews)
Weight : 450 grams MSRP : $29.95

The WTB SpeedDisc All Mountain features WTB’s International Bead Seatdesign and eyelets.This 475-gram rim features a wide, 26.5-millimeterprofileThat can roll withThe punches and come out straight andTrue. Disc only 541 ERD Weight: 475 g 26mm width

Submitted by rufio a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2013

Strengths:    Super solid bead seat and provides a good tire footprint.

Weaknesses:    None really. These are not tubeless compatible, but then again, they are not designed to be.

Bottom Line:
This is for the SpeedDisc AllMountains

The stock Roval rear wheel on my Specialized SJ EVO 29er hardtail had been breaking spokes and the hub was making a ton of noise. I purchased this wheel from my LBS, Dimension is what was on the tag. This was laced to a Shimano Deore level hub with stainless DT Swiss spokes. They installed the wheel for me and so far so good. It held up quite well. If the hub required service it could be serviced and the spokes are readily available anywhere. Not a bad choice.

Submitted by Ant

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, Strong, Relatively light for strength

Weaknesses:    Not the widest rims ever and not really suitable for tyres over 2.3", comes with cheap shimano hubs (when factory pre built) but thats reflected in the price

Bottom Line:
Can i just point out that there seems to be 2 versions of this rim, an XC version and an All Mountain version, the WTB rim manual has them both in different ASTM categories, the AM version being higher than the XC rating, i have had the AM versions for a short while now and they are still straight and true, granted they have not been punished very hard, but ill update this review when i have some more experience with them, but as with all rims i imagine its a good idea to occasionally check the spoke tension.

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2012

Strengths:    Strong after 5 years of riding.

Weaknesses:    My butt.

Bottom Line:
These wheels have been on my Windsor Comp 29er (generic Fuji) for the past 5 years. I ride in AZ where it's all rocky and sandy everywhere. I've ridden it on South Mountain dozens upon dozens of times. I've ridden single track around Flagstaff and on the Mogollon Rim. In 5 years i've never trued them or had any issues. I just like good fun riding. I'm not doing crazy drops and down hilling. Chances are neither of you (except for in your mind).

Submitted by Jman0000

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive, entry level rim to get you started.

Weaknesses:    Not very durable for clydes. I'm 220 and these started going out of true within about 2 months. They weren't real bad, but not a trait of a high quality rim. Taco-ed the front rim pretty easily on a fairly low speed endo. My LBS is replacing with Mavic 719 rims, which should be 10x better...

Bottom Line:
Came stock on my Kona Hei Hei 29er full suspension. Best fit is probably lighter, beginner riders. I'm 6-ft, 220#, and these were destined for replacement for me. I'm not a balls-to-the-wall crazy rider, but I'm no pansy either. They just couldn't take what I threw at them.

Submitted by tonypet69 a Cross Country Rider from anaheim, california

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Good looks, fairly light, durable, good rolling momentum

Bottom Line:
These wheels came as stock with the Azure I bought. Intended to replace the wheels as soon as I got the bike. But upon trying them, I told myself nah!! cause they roll with ease and maintain speed pretty well, and are not flexy. They climb very well too. It seems like I was riding a thousand dollar wheels with these babies. I guess it has something to do with it having nice hubs and spokes. Bottom line is lace them with a decent hubset and spokes and they are decent race rims. Plus they are fairly cheap.

Favorite Trail:   santiago canyon

Purchased At:   randall scott cycles

Similar Products Used:   mavic 117, mavic 223, crossmax slr, shimano wh-571 etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   IronHorse Azure comp, straight X-7, DtSwiss hubs and spokes, full Ritchey WCS cockpit, seatpost and saddle.

Submitted by photoBear a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo,Victoria,Australia

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Strengths:    Still true
look good
I can't break them

Weaknesses:    none identifiable

Bottom Line:
After 3 years of constant hard use on roads, rocks, dirt, mud and water with cracked frames, many worn out tires, crases drops and sticks in the spokes these rims show no sign of being anything but perfectly strait and true, not even a single broken spoke along the way to show for it all and the hubs till spin smoothly I really cannot fault these rims.

I don't know if I could be upgrading to lighter rims out there but these ones have not gone wrong in any way and that is what matters to me.

I can't break them.

Favorite Trail:   Diamond hill, Crusoe Res, Big hill

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   alexrims, double wall, disk rims.

Bike Setup:   Norco 08Charger / 07Fireball frame, most componants stock charger plus XT shifters

Submitted by 14Stone a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Strengths:    1 year of riding starting at 312lbs. They're still true, and I put easy over 3000km on them over the summer. Started easy, finished with some pretty large drops.

Weaknesses:    None that I found, its possible that I'm a smooth rider but I doubt it. Some people say they Taco'd them. I've landed pretty thuddy on some rocks and nothing.

Bottom Line:
For the price from what I see, they're good. I don't have anything negative to say about the rims other then you have to pay attention to them and maintain your bike.

4/4 Chilis cause there isn't anything stellar about them. They're just solid good rims.

Purchased At:   Came with Norco Jube

Submitted by darko a Weekend Warrior from croatia

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    still true!

Weaknesses:    none for real... maybe some tires are harder to fit, and i had problems with mine 2.35 TIOGA, but they are much wider then the rim sugests, so, 2.25 albert fit perfectly

Bottom Line:
they are great... i was looking for something lighter than what i had, and i got it, and still couldn't untrue them, so, for me, they own!

i use them on enduro/agressive XC trails and i'm about 80kg (175lbs), do small drops and stuff... build them on my own, and i'm no proffesional in building wheels, so in my opinion: MONEY WELL SPEND :)

Purchased At:   local store

Similar Products Used:   i only used freeride rims till now

Bike Setup:   an enduro HT :)

Submitted by bholton@apotex.com a Cross Country Rider from Ancaster, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    Strong relatively light weight rim.

Weaknesses:    No issues.

Bottom Line:
These rims have a beating over the past three years. Just trued the back last month for the first time. Everyone who complains about them should check their spoke tension every once in a while, and note that these aren't for big air. I use them for XC and all mountain. They have bashed their way through rock gardens, over logs, and 24-30 inch drops. No issues. I weigh 175lbs/ 75 kg. Take care of your bike and it will take care of you. OEM with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Rim

Purchased At:   Ancaster Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Trance 1 stock, Fox 32 F120, Fox RP2, hutchinson python Air light 2.3 tires.

Submitted by rmillet a Weekend Warrior from Lake Charles, LA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Weak, flimsy junk.

Bottom Line:
These came on my diamondback. I tacoed the front rim on a 2 foot drop, weak junk. I've beat the heck out of my Sun Single Tracks........still true after 8 years.....

The WTB speed discs were junk.

Favorite Trail:   Fast Dry Ones

Purchased At:   Action Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Sun Single Track

Bike Setup:   DB XTS-3, psylo XC

Submitted by Two Wheelin a Weekend Warrior from Mount Vernon WA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    They worked great until they bent

Weaknesses:    Seemed to bend too easily

Bottom Line:
I haven't abused them too much but got rear ended today on the side of the rim and it bent the crap out of it and it wasn't a hard hit at all. And it bent it bad.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 4

Submitted by walljumper a Downhiller from mn, usa

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2008

Strengths:    rims are strong when trued right! mine are setup w/ 20mm hubs and handle 6+ ft drops / harsh launches into rock piles just fine - rims still straight

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These are good, strong rims for the price. Just keep'm trued right and they'll take a beating!

Favorite Trail:   p-drop

Similar Products Used:   mavic 325, sun xc lite, bontrager xc

Bike Setup:   Haro Xeon VL160S Full-Suspension

Submitted by sidewindersnake a Downhiller from uk

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    only had this rim for around a week now they cost so much cos i had sum propa fat spokes put on with a decent shimanio hubs and a aint i. Light rider i buckle every wheel with in a few days normally but i have to say there are still goin strong and lined true alkways

Weaknesses:    no weekness for what i use then for wouldent recomend these for free style or big drops

Bottom Line:
great rim with big eat spokes and a decent hub i say buy them now while there so cheap

Favorite Trail:   south wales tough trails

Purchased At:   200

Submitted by rickyrat a Weekend Warrior from ashland,oregon,U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    I have punished this rim!! I am 225lbs and ride hard, I built the wheel myself and have had no trouble with it at all, granted I dont do more than about 4 or 5 foot drops and this is an xc rim. maybe you guys that are haveing trouble with them should have somebody else build them for you or learn to use a little finesse when you are rideing

Weaknesses:    the only thing I dont like is the stickers on the side rub when I true it and the seam hits as well, I like to true to as near perfect as possible and use a dial indicator

Bottom Line:
I think they are a pretty darn good rim for the money, as for those downhillers and big air dogs that are bending them, you might want to try something other than an xc rim !!

Purchased At:   marty's cycle and mo