Home | Reviews | Rim | WTB

WTB Speed Disc All Mountain Rim

2.5/5 (4 Reviews)
Weight : 475g

The SpeedDisc All Mountain utilizes WTB’s proprietary Safety Seal design as well as eyelets. The 475-gram rim features a wide, 26.5-millimeter profile that can roll with the punches and come out straight and true.

32 Holes

Submitted by Jman0000 a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    I guess they're fairly inexpensive. Not sure b/c they came stock on my Hei Hei. Somewhat light???

Weaknesses:    Out of true already after less than 1 month's riding (front and rear). I'm not a very aggressive rider. Just local single track/XC stuff and some urban rides around the city. I guess I'm disappointed because these are supposed to be "All Mountain", which should be tougher than XC. For me, these definitely wouldn't do for AM riding.

Bottom Line:
I expected more from an AM rim. Possibly out of true because they're machine built (I think).

Favorite Trail:   Memorial

Purchased At:   Blue Line Bike Lab

Bike Setup:   2012 Kona Hei Hei 29 - Stock

Submitted by mtn-madness a Weekend Warrior from Southern Oregon

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, disc only, black, wide enough for 2.3in tires.

Weaknesses:    Not durable enough. Rear rim has developed a flat spot centered on the value stem hole. Overall strength and long term durability under "all mountain" use is questionable.

Bottom Line:
I weight 180lbs (82kg), 5'10". I ride extremely steep slopes around my town using old logging roads to connect nasty treacherous descents with many drops off rock outcrops. I also do light free riding around town and at the skate park. I may been exceeding the this rims capabilities, but I ride all mountains!?. Maybe WTB should label the SpeedDisc as an xc product?

I built up these rims into a bomber wheelset using shimano xt hubs, DT Swiss supercomp spokes and alloy nips. The wheelset has lasted more than 3yrs under the rough conditions I ride. The wheel always stays true no matter how bad the crash. However, the rear rim has developed a flat spot that is center precisely over the value stem hole, which to me indicates a weakness in the rim design in this area. Only the rear rim shows this defect, the front is still round as can be.

One of my buddies who has the same wheelset has not had any problems with the rims but he 15-20lbs lighter and isn't as aggressive a rider.

Favorite Trail:   my custom built trails. north mtn and pinky breaker

Purchased At:   Who cares? Price?

Similar Products Used:   Mavic's xc oriented rims, I don't know the exact models anymore. Because I used rim brakes on Mavic's I always destroyed the braking surface before the rim failed.

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized Enduro with BETD linkage 6" rear travel. '10 Fox Talas 120/160 fork (my initial impression - freakin' awesome fork). Drivetrain 2x9 20/34 front, 11-32 rear. Avid shifters, brakes, shimano derailleurs, pre LP model Race Face crank and bottom bracket (awesome durability bought in '98), Easton Havoc stem and EA70 monkeybar, kenda nevegal DTC 2.3 tires(massive gription).

Submitted by socal_jack a Cross Country Rider from Encinitas,CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    Look nice

Weaknesses:    Even under XC with moderate AM use prone to go out of true.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 29er WTB AM rim which seems to be at least as lame as the 26" version. Had the FR version on an FS 26" no problems, but these 29er AMs on a rigid under light rock garden and very small jumping are in need of constant truing. Will be demoted as soon as the new wheelset comes to a road setup.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   WTB FR 26"

Bike Setup:   GT Peace 9r Multi stock

Submitted by XCkiller a Weekend Warrior from north royalton ohio

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2008

Strengths:    looks, strength is okay, and it is inexpensive

Weaknesses:    depending on what you do to 'em, it may need to be trued soon after you start riding. if 4' drops to flat, crazy intense rock gardens, and some jumping, are your thing, then you may want to go with a sturdier rim

Bottom Line:
I trust that it won't taco under me, but it would be nice if it stayed true during frequent drops to flat, i feel that it would work well for XC and light all mountain

Favorite Trail:   west branch