Home | Reviews | Rim | WTB

WTB LaserDisc XC Rim

2.71/5 (14 Reviews)
Weight : 425 grams

• Cross country and freeride rim
  • 24mm disc specific profile with excellent strength to weight ratio
  • 32 hole, black, welded

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by mhelander a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2014

Strengths:    Cheap and stiff for its weight, easy wheelbuild, exceptionally good tubeless rim

Weaknesses:    None so far, applying Stans tubeless rim tape was little more laborious than some other rims

Bottom Line:
    Bought this rim together with LaserDisc Trail 29er for my homebuilt fully suspended recumbent, was likely cheapest available for my 28h hub. I was totally amazed how good quality rim this was and building wheel was breeze.

Later bought DT-Swiss XR-400 rim and WTB LaserDisc hubs to replace these rims but when going tubeless these just didn't work with my required low pressures. So turned back to put my Furious Fred 50-559 tire to this rim with great results.

Eventually bought another WTB LaserDisc Lite hub pair and rebuilt this rim and Trail 29er using 2.0/1.5 3-cross spokes. That is my racing setup and it's working flawlessly.

Going tubeless was exceptional experience. Applying Stans tape was little laborious because of deep center groove but when done this rim together with Mavic tubeless valve was immediately fully airtight and rim has required groove to keep flimpsy Furious Fred tire beaded in all my punishment. And WTB didn't suggest these to be used in tubeless setups...

What more to say, my next rims will also very likely be WTB's later generation rims, no DT-Swiss rims anymore.

Similar Products Used:   DT-Swiss XR-400

Bike Setup:   Homebuilt fully suspended off-road recumbent

Submitted by Fparra

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    they are in the stock build Santa Cruz Super Light 29er...maybe the price...because it was in the stock build DXC no chilis

Weaknesses:    Stiffnes... they are build for street riding..

Bottom Line:
    a lot of rear flex in the 29'r version... the front is also flex but not as the rear is... riding in rocky trail...not an abusive riding style...mostly climbing and downhill at descent speed... they where curved and fixed by spoke tension.. really don't know why they got curved... at the end the flexy feeling is the most uncomfortable thing ever happen...

Submitted by cigar_fiend a Cross Country Rider from Norman, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    none that I can find

Weaknesses:    I was at a MTB Race in Ardmore Oklahoma this past weekend and hit a patch of sand that sent me head first into a tree. These rime bent like paper. I was able to finish the race because they were rubbing the inside of my shock, but still rolling. I am very disappointed in these rims. I was hoping they would last longer so I could save up for some nice Easton or Mavics, but I guess I will be getting them before I planned to!

Bottom Line:
    These rims are not strong at all. I was not going fast when I hit the tree. This is evident by the total lack of any injury to myself. This front rim is weaker than warm butter. I will be replacing them TODAY!

Purchased At:   Came on bike set-up

Bike Setup:   Came on my bike as purchased from BikeOne in Norman.

Submitted by mtbiker21574 a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    These are lightweight low priced rims.

Weaknesses:    They are weak and will bend easily when flexed laterally.

Bottom Line:
    I had a pretty good endo on my new bike last weekend. I am pretty sure that the cause of the crash was after hauling through a rock garden my front rim bent so badly that it stopped spinning through the fork, causing me to ride the next section on my face. I am reasonably certain that the bent rim was the cause of the crash and not the result. I remember seeing the bike fly through the air and land nicely on the rear wheel, not on the front. Regardless, they are weak rims and should be used by casual riders.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Sanction 3.0

Submitted by finny1999 a Weekend Warrior from marion heights

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    strength. very weak rim. Walmart bike rims lasted longer.

Bottom Line:
    Rim is absolute garbage. 50 miles on a new bike and I had a hard time riding the bike home the rim was bent that bad. I've ridden and wrecked cheaper bikes and wheelsets that held up better. Bottom line is one week, first wreck and I now have a bike I can't ride because the wheel is bent that bad.

Purchased At:   sicklers bike shop (

Similar Products Used:   various generic and cheap setups

Bike Setup:   Stock Giant Trance X2

Submitted by Ride247forLife a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    Super light

Weaknesses:    Super super weak

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy these rims. They are extremely weak. I bent them after a very minor crash. Not worth your time. Look somewhere else for a light weight rim

Favorite Trail:   Black Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance (came on

Similar Products Used:   Nothin

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Canaan Elite Full XT and WTB Velociraptor rubber

Submitted by JEff a Weekend Warrior from Monterey

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    I couldn't find any before it smushed.

Weaknesses:    I would not, NOT, buy these rims. If it comes with your bike, I would advise to change them. They are very very weak. I mean target bike rims last 10x longer, and this isn't a joke. After getting my new bike I rode it around my driveway to find out that the rims are bent. wow....

Bottom Line:
    If you understand it's strengths and weaknesses, you decide. Which one is better?? Because it came with the bike, I am giving it 2 chili's for value, but overall a rim that lasts for 2 minutes of driveway riding, nuh, uh. POOR!!! (This may vary though for different rims, so I could have just have gotton a rotton set, so if yuo do get them, don't be a sour apple). This review basically describes my experience with them.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Submitted by joseph rastovich a Cross Country Rider from kennewick,wa,us

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2005

Strengths:    looks good, very light

Weaknesses:    VERY WEAK!

Bottom Line:
    great if you don't do anything aggressive but if you are aggressive, do even small jumps, or roughish dh they will need to be trued soon.

Favorite Trail:   wsp

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Lite weight, durability and price.

Bottom Line:
    I'm completely happy with these rims. I did get flats both front and rear. This was because of thorns and lite tires not burred spokes or rim tape. I just replaced my 2.14 Motoraptor Race and Mutanoraptor for WTB 2.4 Motoraptor Race (Rear) and 2.5 WTB Weirwolf Race (Front). I checked the rim tape and it was aligned well. The quality looked very good. These rims easly fit larger tires and were a breeze to install. For the price and durabilty these rims kickbutt. I really liked my mavics too but I'm not sold on brand names and I'm willing to try different products. I ride enduro/epic rides avg 2 times a week. Pound these rims without need for tru'ing. The bike came with these rims and WTB XC Lite hubs. The hubs have really impressed me because they are lite and the rear is silent. I did have to have my Mavic 223 rim tru'd but that was because of a blowout and subsquent wipeout! I'm 6ft and between 185-190lbs depending on my diet and beer intake. I would highly recommend trying these rims and deciding for yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Epics

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 223 and 231

Bike Setup:   Weyless Sp (Superlight Copy), Hayes Hydraulic Disks, XT, TruVativ Team Stylo Cranks...lots of goodies

Submitted by Matthew Snow a Cross Country Rider from Fairfield

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    The rims have held well with only minor truing.Easy to change tires. Black finish lasts.

Weaknesses:    Use wide rim tape to cover spoke holes because of possible sharp corners.

Bottom Line:
    These wheels are lite in weight and have held up well to 80 hours of abuse for East Coast riding.Rich does a great job at building wheels!He makes a difference.

Favorite Trail:   Trout

Purchased At:   Outlaw Bicycle Danbury, CT

Similar Products Used:   Mavic and Sun

Bike Setup:   Maverick ML7, Hugi 240 Disc Hubs w/ 14/15 gauge black spokes.

Submitted by Kerry a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, US

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Weaknesses:    Burr in spoke hole

Bottom Line:
    I was replacing Mavic 317 rims that I had badly bent on a mellow Forest Park fireroad downhill (check spoke tension often on disk brake wheels !!). Wheels were handbuilt by reputable shop. However, a burr in a spoke hole and cheap rim tape led to numerous flats until I decided to look closer and discovered the burr. Later, I bent the front wheel in a ditch. I am 6'2", 195lbs. I am going to go
    with a wider rim next time. These 10 speed width ultralight rims are just not cutting it for my slightly agressive riding style.

Purchased At:   Universal

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardtail with Psylo R fork

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Los Altos

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Strengths:
    Well, they worked for a while.

Weaknesses:    They are too thin, I am only 110 pounds and I flatspotted them on my ruckus

Bottom Line:
    Dont get these, you will be pissed

Favorite Trail:   Northstar

Bike Setup:   Ruckus

Submitted by John from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
    Laced to King ISO hubs as an upgrade to the flexy Mavic 223/Deore setup that came stock on my Scalpel. They built up beautifully and haven't moved a bit in about 300 miles of hard riding. Time will tell, but so far these seem like a great combination of strength and weight for a 200 pounder like myself.

Submitted by adrian a Cross Country Rider from Laramie,WY

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, beyond belief.. trued once bought used from a DH kid, I use for XC and thy are worth everydime.. The rim itself is 60 alone.. I'm 220 + and they have held me well.

Weaknesses:    none as of yet...

Bottom Line:
    excellent rims for the money, will allow you to make mistakes on the trail, and still not have to true all season...

Favorite Trail:   corner mountain