Home | Reviews | Rim | WTB

WTB LaserDisc Trail Rim

3.07/5 (15 Reviews)
Weight : 500 grams MSRP : $65.00

Build a burly wheel with the WTB LaserDisc Trail Rim. This 32-hole all-mountain rim is ready for whatever you can throw at it.

Submitted by MK a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Strength

Bottom Line:
This thing is terrible. I taco'ed 2 of these in less than a month. The first one I rode for about 10 months, the second one, two rides.

The first "taco" was on a downhill section of an AM trail. Where it happened, there were no turns and no rocks. I still can't figure out how it happened, but caused me to mess up my rear derailleur and cranks when my bike tumbled into a tree. It taco'ed so abruptly, I went over the bars because it locked up the wheel.

The second one is what convinced me this thing is junk. I was on a section of trail that spanned between two sections of a paved trail that we use to access the ride. It's 30 feet long. At the transition from dirt to paved, wheel locked up and sent me over the bars (I wasn't going fast, so it was slow-mo). Got up all wtf and found my wheel in the classic taco shape.

There is no way this is a trail/AM wheel. I now use Stans Flow and have had zero problems. Oh and did I mention I'm only 150 lbs?

Favorite Trail:   Mount Kessler

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign: Race Face, Stan's, Sram xo/x9, Fox shocks

Submitted by lts builder a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    strong light ish and they look ok to (not in your face).
rim beed is a good thing and a major strength (wen running tubless) but also their biggest weekness as they are really hard to seat.

Weaknesses:    the rim beed, ( take out your valve core and run a dribble of fairy liquid (any dish wash liquid) all the way round the tyre and rim beed. then as you pump the tyre ensure the beed seats on both sides oposite the valve. do not worry about the rest, once thats on you will notice probably that both side are seatd by the valve as well so you 2 oposite point that the tyre is seated, now pump like a madman! the tyre will seat when u get to arround 40-60 psi. i had problems with these but this works for me every time.

Bottom Line:
good rims dispite the problems with seating tyres. iv trashed a few tubes tryin to get these to seat as the constant movement of the pump combined with the heat from compresion and the high pressures needed have made week tubes blow the valves. bottom line go tubeless use stans or similar. you can get these well cheap second hand. just three chilis tho because there not with out issue.

Favorite Trail:   narlyest i can find

Purchased At:   ebay for a song just

Similar Products Used:   halo mavic

Bike Setup:   GT LTS DS, shox delux rear shock, epicon 100-140mm remoteT forks, skeletal breaks f/r, wtb laser disk wheels, x7 shifters, firex crank, xo mech, pc990 casset & crosstep chain. easton post & bars, aka stem, tyres- continental vapor (rear) wobler (front

Submitted by cesalec a Weekend Warrior from Mexic / Austria

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    apparently light, fairly maintenance free, 3 years of bashing on them and they have never been trued, no spokes have been loosened and they have almost null scratches , absolutelly null dings, or flat spots. Tires seat secure enough.

Weaknesses:    Their design (graphic) is sooooo boring, hubs could be better, perhaps with a hope hub these would rock. It isnt that easy to install the tires on them, I mean make them pop.

Bottom Line:
I cannot comment on the price, these came stock with my 2008 Giant Reign 0. I am not a smooth rider, I am not very good at riding, and I suppose I have a couple of times forgotten the tire pressure was to low.

I ride All Mountain, I get aggressive when I can, and I somtimes ride the DH tracks (havent done any of the big drops or ramps, I dont think my bike is made to stand that abuse) but these wheels are so far almost new!

planning on changing the wheelset for pure looks

Favorite Trail:   Some around Innsbruck

Purchased At:   came stock with the

Similar Products Used:   All Mountain rims, hmm none.

Bike Setup:   stock, except for the tires... after riding Nevegals, and Minions now I am Schwalbe all the way.

Submitted by LuckyTHlRT33N a Cross Country Rider from Springfield, MO

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly Light

Bottom Line:
These wheels from my experience with the 26" version are great, light, strong, no complaints, except for when I tried to mount Kenda Nevegal non-UST tires on there. I have a feeling that these tires are not made to spec, as I have read others problems getting this tire's bead to seat on this rim. Putting the tire on by putting the bead in the center of the rim is ok, but once you get it on, I could not for the life of me get it to slip into the bead seat of the wheel. I tried using tire spoons to finagle the tire bead up on the outside portion of the rim, but it is waaaay to tight. I've broken 3 tough kydex tire spoons, and ruined a inner tube trying to get the tire's bead to seat. All this and I haven't even tried to get this to run tubeless and seat it.

Favorite Trail:   Little Sac

Purchased At:   Online Retailer/Whol

Similar Products Used:   LaserDisc 26"

Bike Setup:   Hifi Pro, LaserDisc Rims, Kenda Nevegal 2.2 non-UST

Submitted by Geth a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
What can I say......?
I've just put in my 4th inner tube in just two rides.
I hadn't had a puncture for a loooong time then this happens.
There is a MAJOR problem with the seating ledge in the rim.
No matter how much fumbling about I seem to do to get the tyre to seat properly it just isn't happening. That's using a track pump at home and a small pump on rides.

My view is that the inner tube is either getting slightly trapped between the tyre bead & the STUPID lip on the on the seating ledge in the rim.
It holds for a while.... then....PSSSSSSSSSSSS. Down she goes.

New rims will be on order in the morning....

Submitted by ag a Cross Country Rider from Ashland, OR, US

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    sexy

Weaknesses:    can't keep tubes inflated

Bottom Line:
I get flats every 50 miles. I can't keep air in the tires. I'm on my third set of tires. I have 20 tubes in my garage that have slow leaks. I just finished the Cascade Cream Puff, but had two flats (rear then front). We're not talking pinch flats, thorns, nails or punctures, just slow leaks. I have two thick layers of rim tape and still get flats. If you know why let me know. If you want to buy these things off of me let me know. They are barely 1 year old and have 1000 miles on them.

Favorite Trail:   out my back door

Similar Products Used:   mavic, sun

Bike Setup:   2009 ventana, el saltamontes

Submitted by ep-gnar a Cross Country Rider from missoula USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    lightweight for a rim this wide
bead seats FIRMLY

Weaknesses:    bead seats FIRMLY
not very strong

Bottom Line:
I've never had an issue getting tires on or off the rims (work the bead into the low spot in the middle of the rim, like with most rims), but getting the bead to seat fully is a pain the ass. There is a little rib in the bed of the rim that makes it so. I've been inflating the tires to 60psi and working the tire side to side. Haven't gotten many flats (knock on wood) with these, but if I did, I wouldn't bother seating the bead until I got back to my floor pump.

That said, these rims will hold your tire tight and they're fairly wide, so they're good for running fat tires at low pressure. They're about as light as you can get for a rim that width.

Bottom line is they're an good rim for trail-riding if you get a good deal, but look at stans flow or dt 520 are the same price, size and weight without the bead-seating issue, afaik.

Favorite Trail:   changes weekly

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   mavic 721's

Bike Setup:   08 trance x with a lyrik u-turn on the front.

Submitted by sknsnw9 a Weekend Warrior from Bend

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    Stayed trued after riding through some rough terrain but one bad hit will bend it.

Weaknesses:    I'm light, 160 lbs and I bent this rim sideways when I was going high speed through the rock garden and smashed at a pointy rock.

Bottom Line:
This would be rims would be fine for the easy riders, but if you are going to ride hard, I would suggest finding new rims or at least wait till this one breaks. I will probably get one of the mavics.

Favorite Trail:   all in Central Oregon

Purchased At:   hutches

Bike Setup:   09 Giant trance x2

Submitted by ADI a Weekend Warrior from ISRAEL

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2010

Strengths:    LOOKS GOOD , strong dependable structure.

Weaknesses:    hard to change tyres

Bottom Line:
in use for more then 1.5 years with aggresive use + my weight is 230 pound , and no signs of any problem.

Similar Products Used:   mavic 317.

Bike Setup:   mongoose super teucali 2008 , fox talas rlc 2009

Submitted by seann a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Strengths:    durable, decent weight

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
Not sure why others have problems with these, I weigh 225 and ride pretty hard. This includes jumping and all mountain use. Wheels have stayed as true as expected and my nevegals can be installed by hand in a matter of seconds. I build my own wheels and will be using the same rims for my next set (better hubs).

Similar Products Used:   mavic, dt

Bike Setup:   5" travel full suspension

Submitted by aGo a Weekend Warrior from AZ

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2009

Strengths:    n/a

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
I’m only posting for informational purposes. Got the new bike home after the shop installed thorn resistant tubes and noticed a wobble in both tires.

Couldn’t get the tire to sead properly, took it back to the shop and watched from a distance while he sprayed it with windex & muscled it in.

Road over a field of goat heads, then it was time dethorn the tires. I’ve been changing tires for 30 yrs and this one was not going on, after 40 mins & bloodied knuckles I throw in the towel.

Took it back to the shop, watched the veins in his neck protrude getting the tire back on, then resorted to a steel tire spoon, still would not sead properly again.

That was it for me for I will never be able to fix a flat on the trail with this tire. Went to another shop pull the FireXCpro 26 x 2.10 off the shelve and slipped it right one, ever so happy. Not sure if the Kenda was defected or what, happy trails

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere fun

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X3 2009 stocked. Kenda Nevegal 26 x 2.10, 120 casing dual tread compound tires.

Submitted by bktrailrider a Weekend Warrior from phoenix, az, usa

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Value, strength

Weaknesses:    could be lighter.
Because of the deep center channel, I initially had issues with the rim strip slicing tubes, nothing switching to a new rim strip wouldn't handle. I'm running ghetto tubeless now.

Bottom Line:
Bought this rim to replace the Mavic's on my trail bike. I got them cause I wasn't trying to sink a lot of cash into a new wheel. Stiff, Semi-light, and won't break the bank..

Favorite Trail:   south mtn

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   mavic, sun rims

Bike Setup:   mounted on XT Hub

Submitted by jSatch a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2009

Strengths:    Good strong rim for intended purpose and weight

Weaknesses:    Difficult to Ghetto Tubeless
Expensive

Bottom Line:
I don't understand the last poster as I've had more trouble getting tires on a Mavic rim than this one. No tools required for either 2.35 Kenda Nevegals or Maxxis High Rollers.
The downside is that even with a split inner tube to go Ghetto tubeless, the tire is still not really tight and pretty difficult to get to seal going with a floor pump.
These rims are quite strong for the weight and don't bend or ding easily. I'd always have to true my Mavics, and I've heard DT rims pretty soft, not so with these. But don't confuse these with the (junk) SpeedDisc rims. I don't know about unbendium bulge or ibeam for marketing purposes, but these are worth the money, the SpeedDiscs, I don't think so.
A real sleeper.